Relay for Life

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Michael S., Feb 11, 2009.

1. Michael S.

Michael S. Companion

Feb 11, 2009

Has anybody here ever participated in one of these events? It appears to be a big thing, but I just heard about it from the honor society that I belong to. I registered and figured I might as well give it a try. It should be fun and a great way to interact with members of the honor society (I am going to try to be active this semester).

Anybody have any comments about this (i.e. Fundraising tips, event stories, etc.) I set my goal to raise $100, so I'll see how it goes.

I heard some people talk about asking family members, but I want the donations to be something that the donors want to do and not something they might feel pressured into.

I think it would be cool if my team could go to a restaurant and have like a signup thing going on and try to have a portion of the proceeds or something.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2009

The school I tutor at has a team. They have a snack bar in the teacher's lounge with chips and snack desserts that people can pay for. They also pay $x to wear jeans so many days out of the year. Another team waitressed at Sonic one Saturday and kept all the tips as donations.

Good luck!

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Feb 11, 2009

I organized a team of teachers after 2 of our teachers were diagnosed with cancer. It brought a great amount of togetherness and solidified us into a family.

We did the typical fund raising stuff. We did have each member contribute an item to a theme basket and raffled it off.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2009

About 6 years ago I participated with a group of teachers from the school I was working at. It was a wonderful experience and I am thinking of trying to organize a group from our school this year.

6. Michael S.

Michael S. Companion

Feb 11, 2009

Hmm, it's a shame that I don't work at the same school every day. The idea of putting snacks and stuff in the lounge is a great idea.

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 11, 2009

I have participated in Relay for the past several years. I never could get a team going at my old school, but there is a lot of interest at my new one. I was the "token Baptist" on my best friend's church's team (Catholic church). Last year I raised almost $900. Each year I hold a "Pie Your Favorite Teacher" contest. The kids vote by donating money in that teacher's jar. The top 3 money makers get pied. I also sold tickets to be the ones to throw the pie. A lot of fun and a great cause. The night of Relay we always sell funnel cakes. It's an all-night affair. We walk from 6 to almost 6 the next morning. There aren't a lot of teams that make it all the way through, but we are one of them.
    Last year we also had a soup day. 6 or 7 teachers volunteered to bring a crockpot of soup and teachers paid $5 to eat. There was everything from Shrimp and Corn Bisque to Chicken Tortilla soup. It was a good money maker.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2009

As someone who has learned way too much about cancer and radiation over the last year, I offer my sincere thanks to anyone doing anything to combat this nightmare.

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Feb 12, 2009

My school is a Relay location. It is loads of fun.

We do a lot of fundraisers for it that involve restaurants. ChickFila, friendly's, buffalo wild wings, red robin, applebees, etc. etc. all do fundraiser nights where they donate a certain percentage of that night's sales. They also usually let you come in with fliers and maybe do a raffle and that kind of thing, too.

As for the actual event, Ia m guessing most people do it the same way we do. There is a luminary ceremony which is amazing - you can make bags in honor or memory of people and they have a lighting ceremony. They also have lots of activities for people and kids, free events and food, etc. We have a DJ that plays all night for people while we walk. Then there is the tent area... Most companies with teams just set up tents for during the day, but then a lot of the family teams will camp out there - taking turns sleeping and walking. We usually have out kid team do some kind of community service project, too, like last year they made those fleece blankets where you just tie them, when they weren't walking.

This event means a lot to us, as we lost two beloved teachers to lung cancer last year. We also do our own 5K in their memory specifically for lung cancer through the American Cancer Society, as well.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2009

Alice, yours is one of the names that is close to the front of my mind as I think of organizing this event. I am hoping to get a team together from the school--one of our teachers battled breast cancer last year and is now back teaching full time.

11. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 12, 2009

I know a couple local schools are having a "pink" nite. You buy a Tshirt for 12 dollars you can get into the games for free. They will be having special uniforms & using a pink ball!!! I put my order in for the Tshirt!!!