Relaxation/yoga for preschool?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Miss J. Pre-K, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Mar 25, 2010

I think we're at the point in the year where we're all getting a little tired of each other . . . pushing, fighting, name-calling. Tears are becoming a regular occurance like they hadn't been since the first of school. We came in from the playground yesterday and had two in tears over being called names. I helped all the kids do some deep breathing and simple stretches (sit down and reach for toes, move arms about).

Has anyone tried any kind of yoga or other stretching exercises with their students? Maybe there's even a CD or DVD out there for kids? Or any other good ideas to help with the case of "meanies", as one of my kiddos put it? I've tried talking about how we feel when people hurt us or our feelings, but it doesn't seem to get through.

3. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Mar 25, 2010

We do yoga moves sometimes. The children really enjoy it. I haven't really found a tape/cd or dvd that works for me, but we push through.

We also drop down to board games and more "regulated play" during these moments w/o team work. Not in a punishing way-we call them "playoffs" we just find a different thing than free play or centers for a while. We have had parents come in and run board games for a while too. Then go outside for parachute, then off to have a HUGE mural paint session on 3 or 4 huge king sheets on the fence. Just not free playing. After a day or so mine usually remember they like each other and move on. Then we are back to free play and group time balancing.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 25, 2010

I have a set of kid's yoga cards that i purchased from Barnes and Noble... they're pretty self-explanatory, although I don'tu se them with my kidsl ike I'd planned to at the beginnning when i purchsed them... our K's just did a yoga unit in their music/gym class, though. They seemed to really enjoy it.

5. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Mar 25, 2010

I tried the yoga/relaxation thing with my students last year for the same reasons. Because I didn't start it at the beginning of the year, it was difficult for some of the kids, especially those who really needed it, to get into doing it. I did breathing exercises along with yoga moves and crossing the mid-line exercises. Currently, when we return to the classroom from gym or outside, we sit at the tables and everyone gets to pour their own cup of water. It gives them a chance to calm down before the next activity.

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 25, 2010

I don't know if it is still published, but "Hug a Tree" used to be a book on Yoga for Children. I used it successfully with my PS.

7. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Rookie

Mar 28, 2010

I am currently starting a yoga program with my preschool students. It is called Storytime Yoga by Sydney Solis. She incorporates Yoga with Story Telling. Her books have stories in them and also tell you which poses to use with the story. She also has a DVD, however, we are not allowed to show it due to our policy of no TV's. Hope this helps :)

8. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Mar 29, 2010

Thanks all! I have some Barnes and Noble gift cards so I might purchase the Hug a Tree or Storytime Yoga.

WaProvider, I like your ideas especially. I wish I had some board games for them, I think they'd enjoy them. I'd love to do a big art project outside, but being in an elementary school, they don't like any mess on the playground. :rolleyes:

9. teacherR

teacherR Companion

Mar 29, 2010

I do yoga with my preschoolers. They love it!! We usually start by taking some deep breaths and then do some really basic moves. They like trying to challenge themselves and master new positions.

I find that music also helps my class. Today we listened to Ella Fitzgerald and the relaxing beautiful music really helped them calm down.

10. vbubbles1874

vbubbles1874 Companion

Mar 29, 2010

I do yoga with my class. We started it after the first of the new year. It was something that corporate started including. We have yoga cards that we use, it also came with a cd. I usually do yoga in the morning just before we start group time. It seems to help the kids remain calm and they tend to sleep better @ naptime. I'm not overly fond of the yoga cards/cd that we use, but it works for now. I have the kids spread out and find thier own space. I am still struggling with getting them to remain quiet during yoga, but they are getting better at it.

11. mary1280

mary1280 Rookie

Apr 11, 2010

I do this with my PM class, who are a wee bit more active than my AM class. It usually helps calm them down after center time or large muscle time.

I say:

Smell the flowers (breathe in and hold for 2 - 3 sec)
    Blow out the candles (breathe out)
    (repeat)

Push your head (with fingers interlocking, push down top of head gently for 5 sec or so)
    Give yourself a hug (hug yourself and hold for 5 sec)
    Finally kiss your brain (kiss hand then put hand on head - my kids *love* this part)