Relax...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, Sep 30, 2015.

1. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Sep 30, 2015

I know this has been discussed on here before...

How do you turn your brain off?!

I'm waking up at 2am planning lessons and thinking of ways to involve students. I don't want to. Help!

ETA:

It's compacted by the fact that 1) I'm a perfectionist, and 2) I work at a school full to the brim of overworkers. We're all there on nights, weekends, etc. I want to ease off, but at the same time, I want my kids to do well, and it's hard to work 40 hours when colleagues are working more. This isn't the biggest issue, but it's a big part for sure.

3. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Sep 30, 2015

I struggle with this too...one thing that helps me is keeping ongoing to-do lists. If I have an idea, I write it down right away. Otherwise, my brain goes into "rehearsal mode" where I lie awake thinking of everything I need to do/should be doing. I find if I write it down, it gets out of my head.

4. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Sep 30, 2015

Oh and also do yoga. And a glass or two of wine doesn't hurt ;)

5. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Sep 30, 2015

I used to do that a lot when I first started teaching in a new school, but now it's gotten a lot better as I have a pretty grasp on what I'm doing and I'm a lot more confident. However, I do find I have a hard time sleeping before an observation.
    I really think separating home and work life is the most important. Stay at work as long as you absolutely need to, and relax and enjoy time alone or with family. This will let your mind calm down. Definitely don't work up until you go to bed.

6. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Sep 30, 2015

I find meditation helps. I rarely have trouble sleeping, (except when pain from my cancer recovery is bothering me, but even then it's helpful). I've mentioned this before on other replies, but I concentrate on relaxing, and then personally I prefer to contemplate Bible verses I've memorized.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 30, 2015

Melatonin and antidepressants. Those alleviate the perseveration. Thank goodness.

8. adeeb

adeeb Rookie

Sep 30, 2015

There's at least one plus: the fact that you're constantly thinking about how to improve your teaching is an indicator that you enjoy what you're doing.

I'm a perfectionist as well, and while I don't work at a school, I make sure to leave work by a certain time every day. Yes, some of my co-workers work longer than I do, and there is self-imposed pressure to stay longer, but not everyone has the same work habits.

I'm not sure what you enjoy doing, but drinking some tea, listening to music, and/or reading an article or playing a game always helps me relax.

9. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 30, 2015

It helps to be physically tired when you go to bed. If you add exercise in the early evening that can help. Also, try to do some other things before bed besides work to relax you. Reading is probably the best.

If you wake up at 2am, write down what you are worried about or the new idea you have. Then let it go and go back to sleep. This has helped many people who wake up in the middle of the night with ideas.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 30, 2015

I dream about school year round. When I figure out what works for me, I'll let you know!

11. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Sep 30, 2015

This reminds me of a car commercial that I recently saw that said "since when is leaving work on time an act of courage" and when I saw it I said SERIOUSLY! I work myself to death at home because I'm new to my grade level at new school with no curricular support (all curriculum for the school is newly adopted, no one gets, everyone is reinventing the wheel to deal with, we have no pacing guides, no report cards, everyone is teaching totally different things). I can't stay at work till 7-8 at night because I have kids that need to be picked up and feed, but because I'm work at home all night it's nearly impossible to turn off my brain at night. This isn't healthy but it's what I've been doing to deal. I take Benadryl or another night time medicine when I know it's time for bed.

12. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Oct 1, 2015

Thank you all!

I have been trying to read more lately, and I think that does help. Especially because when I'm on my computer, I can't help but look at school things like email and resources.

Writing it down is a good idea too, except my SO probably wouldn't appreciate me turning on the light at 2am... haha. Although, I'm already waking him up anyway.

The comments on meditation remind me that a while ago, I bought some 30 minute guided meditation mp3 tracks. They are the type with calm music and someone saying breath in, breath out, etc. Maybe I'll load that onto an mp3 player and give those a try too.

13. HaveFunTeaching

HaveFunTeaching New Member

Oct 1, 2015

I hear this type of question a lot and you're certainly not alone. Turning off "the brain" is rather challenging due to the nature of preparation. What if you didn't have to spend time preparing? What if you could find a resource that would do that for you?

We at Have Fun Teaching created a product specifically for this - it's called ACCESS. We looked at the typical school calendar and created content that can be downloaded either for the entire week or daily use. It has help others get time back and teach more.

Check it out "Have Fun Teaching Access"

14. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 1, 2015

It's hard. I still struggle with it too, but I try to work no later than 4:30 at the latest (sometimes I still get stuck doing stuff until 5). If there's anything else that needs to be done, I simply just put it off until the next day.

When I get home, it's make dinner, and watch Netflix.

I second melatonin, whoever said that. I have issues sleeping with too much stuff going on in my head. I also second writing down ideas that pop into your head into a teaching notebook or an app to come back to later.

15. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 1, 2015

I like to think I'm pretty good at this, and perhaps I'm a lot better than many, but I still can't always shut off my brain entirely. I try to plan evening activities, no matter how simple, with my husband and daughter.

I also know a couple of teachers that take some even more elaborate hobbies (quilting, a welding course, etc.) to give themselves something else "big" in their lives.

16. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 1, 2015

My BF is really good about pulling me out of school mode after work. As soon as I get home, we start dinner together (unless he's working the evening shift). Then, we go for a walk, watch TV, play with our dog, or sit on the couch with our Chromebooks.

At night, I usually take Melatonin. Usually, by the time Wednesday and Thursday hit, though, I don't need any Melatonin. I'm wiped out, so my head hits the pillow and I'm O-U-T!