Relating Armenian Genocide to Students' Lives?

Discussion in 'High School' started by Mr. V, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Mr. V

Mr. V Rookie

Feb 6, 2008

I'm working on a lesson about the Armenian genocide for my 10th grade World History class. We're studding WWI. I'm looking for ways to make the genocide relevant to students lives today. It could be something as simple as a warm-up activity, or an entire lesson. My BTSA coach suggested relating it to racism today, but I don't have any genius ideas based on that. Alternately I could relate it to genocides that are slightly closer to home (Slave Trade, American Indian, Rwanda, Iraq today), but even those are relatively removed from the daily lives of my 10th graders.

Please let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks.

3. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Feb 6, 2008

I did that lesson not to long ago with my students. I related it to the fact we still have troops in the area due to continued racisim against that ethinc group in Europe, and to the fact that Hitler got many of his ideas for the process of the Holocaust from that geonocide. Then I related it to them by relating it to racisim (I teach in a minority district) by asking kids what made them different, etc. I then asked them if anyone should be treated that way. JUST those few connections and questions was enough for the 7th graders I taught the lesson too. Use the site Armeniangenocide.org (if that is not it, its really close to that) It has EXCELLENT lesson plans that will take your worry out of that lesson. Trust me it was great.

Good luck, PM if you have more questions.

4. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Feb 6, 2008

Oh one more thing, I started the lesson by going over the definition of genocide from the UN, then tied up the lesson by asking them if it meets the criteria. Then related to the recent bill our congress tried to put through acknowledging it as genocide and the threats made by Turkey regarding Iraq that made us drop the bill