Rejection Letters

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mckbearcat48, May 27, 2016.

1. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

May 27, 2016

Got another one today...

It says "Your excellent qualifications made the decision a difficult one to make. However, the final decision was made to recommend other candidates for the SS opening".

Why do districts feel the need to BS people they reject? If I had "excellent qualifications", I'm not getting a rejection letter. Can someone just be honest in this business?

Good luck in the job search. Looks like I'm still a sub.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 27, 2016

It can be about more than excellent qualifications. A lot goes into selecting the right person for a job, not least of which is personality. I've participated on many interview panels over the years, and we typically don't even interview anyone who doesn't have all the necessary qualifications. Everyone we interview is basically on a level playing field in that respect, perhaps with one or two standouts. What we're looking for is more than that--energy, vibe, a feeling that the new person will mesh well with the existing team, etc.

The hiring season isn't over yet. There is still lots of hiring going on, at least in my district.

4. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

May 27, 2016

I agree with you on the qualifications part...why would a school/panel consider anyone without the requisite qualifications. I talked with real teachers over rejection letters...it's a 50/50 split among people who don't want to know and people who do. My point is the platitude is meaningless. That letter could have been one sentence: we've decided to go in another direction. You know how much I hate subbing, and every one of these puts me one district/day closer to repeating this year again.

IloveSF likes this.
  5. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

May 27, 2016

The rejection letter I just looked at had an invitation to join the school's sub list. Wow.

6. bros

bros Phenom

May 28, 2016

Hey, better than nothing. Might mean they want to see you in action, get to know you, before hiring.

mckbearcat48 likes this.
  7. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

May 28, 2016

This is a glass half full/half empty proposition. I took it differently. Thanks for the positive thought.

8. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

May 28, 2016

In Related affairs, how do you use sub experience in an interview? I'm hoping to cover all my bases.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 28, 2016

Highlight the skills you use: flexibility, class management, experience with a variety of grade levels, experience teaching a variety of subjects, exposure to many classrooms helps you to determine how you will set things up in your own room, ability to implement plans and activities designed by someone else, ability to work effectively in various school settings...

IloveSF and teacherintexas like this.
  10. IloveSF

IloveSF Rookie

May 30, 2016

I'm so glad someone else hates this as much as I do. I'm not dumb, so don't treat me like I am. I hate the form letter thing anyway, but I also hate how they refuse to tell you why you didn't get picked. Do I really want to know? Well, no, not for the sake of my sanity and self-esteem. However, how am I supposed to improve anything if I don't know my mistake? Admittedly, I've become extremely cynical about this whole process, and I automatically assume everyone is lying to me anyway, but no one's given me a reason to think otherwise.

I did have a couple tell me that it was my lack of experience that lost me the job over whoever, which is frustrating because I can't do anything about that if no one will give me the experience. At least they told me why I guess.

11. IloveSF

IloveSF Rookie

May 30, 2016

I've mentioned things that I have seen work in other rooms, like classroom management things, that I tell them I would try in my classroom. I also use kids I have encountered as anecdotes. I try to stick to ELA classrooms when I sub, so I use what I've taught in there to highlight what I can teach. Not that my advice is wonderful as it hasn't gotten me anything, but it's worth a try.

12. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

May 30, 2016

I know from the HR people I used to work with that they won't tell a reject much because they don't want to get caught in a lie later if they don't fulfill the hiring "reason" they gave. I am very cynical by nature (prosecuting tends to do that), but I've always been one to blame myself for not getting the result I want instead of factoring in anything else (I believe things like a tough market or budget cuts are great excuses). It's so hard to stay positive when the alternative to getting a classroom is, well, substituting. Good luck to you as well. I think we could all use it.

13. Clay Morgan

Clay Morgan Rookie

Jun 6, 2016

I will say I dislike rejection letters where they spend so much time heaping praise on you.

"Thank you for applying and interviewing for the position (if appropriate). We have decided to go in a different direction," is more than sufficient.

I'm an adult, have a thick skin, and don't need to be praised. I just like knowing a position is off the table.

14. Srhhwtt

Srhhwtt Rookie

Jun 10, 2016

I so agree! But I do prefer to get some rejection letter than nothing at all! I have had 7 interviews and about 5 rejection letters. Two schools just never said anything. I know they are busy, but I put so much time emotionally and physically into each application and interview..not to mention the waiting process. So, I'd expect some notification. But I so agree. How do I know what to fix with my interview if I am not provided any reason or feedback? I promised myself that the next rejection I get I will contact the principal and ask for feedback.
    My last rejection ( today actually, just a few hours after I left) said through email "we just filled our last vacancy. we will reach out to you upon openings in the future. You definitely seem like someone we could add to the team that would bring positivity." Not sure what to make of that! But oh well!

15. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2016

By "SS opening" do you mean social science?
    If so, the competition is very tough, and it's quite easy to be good, and get beaten by someone better.

This last year, I was applying for vice principal, English, social science, and English/history core positions. I got called four times to interview for English positions. Even got called for an interview to teach high school English - an area which I'm not even really credentialed in. I got one offer to teach middle school English. I turned it down to take a vice principal job that I didn't see coming.
    I applied for as many social science jobs as I did English. I got one interview, in a district where I thought I was a shoe-in. Thought I nailed the interview. Didn't get the job, so there must have been someone better.

16. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jul 23, 2016

I talked about the skills I improved through subbing, specifically classroom management. I talked about seeing what I still sucked at from student teaching (though not in those words lol) and how I used subbing as a way to experience lots of different school climates and grade levels while working on improving my classroom management in different scenarios. I framed it as a professional development technique rather than, "Yeah, no one would give me an interview so I subbed instead." (which is mostly what happened, if I'm really honest).

And seconding that the hiring season isn't over just yet -- my student teaching school hired teachers even after school started because enrollment was up, so don't give up hope yet! Wishing you luck in your job hunt this year so you can get settled into a job you'll love. :)

17. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 23, 2016

I see your first part a little differently. If I'm not the best, I'm not good enough. I've followed your story on here, and say congrats again.