Rejection letter

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by msmac21, Jun 14, 2014.

1. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Jun 14, 2014

Got a rejection letter today in the mail :( Easiest way to ruin a day. The worst part is is I just interviewed for the job on Thursday late afternoon. So that means they decided real quick that they didn't want me. I felt like my interview went well, nothing stood out to me that went wrong or anything.

Even more embarrassing to me is I sent out thank you notes this morning to those principals. So they'll get my thank you notes after they've already rejected me... great!

One thing I think is strange is that they did phone interviews. First district I've ever known in my area to do that. I'm wondering if maybe they already had someone in mind and phone interviews were the best way to just get through the interviews they had to do?

Just feeling really down today and need to vent. I'm tired of sending out job applications, as so many of us on here are. This is my second year searching. I am feeling really discouraged today. I've seen several people in the last few days get positions, which just makes me think "Why not me?". Ugh!

3. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

Jun 14, 2014

I feel your anger and your pain :mad::mellow: it's so unfair what teachers go through to find a job and then once you finally find one it takes one administrator to take it away!! I just had to clean out my classroom that I spent a month getting ready last year all because of one administrator not liking my teaching style. It's so heartbreaking and emotionally draining and just sucks!! But all I can say is keep trying and applying to every school you can! Email the p and even the superintendent!! Don't give up though! Everyone keeps telling me everything happens for a reason. It's hard to believe when your in that situation. :hugs:

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 14, 2014

Everything really does happen for a reason. I had a job for a year and then I was right back looking the next. I ended up finding a job that finally took me to where BF lived. We'd been long distance for five years! Since then I've settled in and bought a house. I'll be going into my third year there this year. I couldn't be happier. My P is amazingly awesome and my colleagues and kids are wonderful!

Keep going because it is all worth it in the end!!

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 14, 2014

I recently had TWO emails declining to interview me for positions in my current school. I'm doing my best to shrug it off and move forward. Many hugs to you.

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 14, 2014

Two years ago, I wanted to transfer in my building to a new position. I had to interview with the team... and then work with them for the rest of the school year when they chose a different candidate (I had interviewed for a 6th grade classroom spot when I was the SPED teacher supporting 6th grade). Can you say awkward? Thankfully the 3rd grade team welcomed me with open arms.

Anyway... rejections are a sad but true fact of life. All you can do is prepare for the next one. There are lots of potential reasons that the school decided somebody else was a better fit. You'll find the place you're meant to be.

7. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Jun 14, 2014

I do know how you feel. Last year I got a rejection e-mail for a job I hadn't even applied applied for. And this year I couldn't even get an interview for a para position in the district I already worked as a para in! Last year I applied for a position at a charter school that was in such financial difficulties that the district was getting ready to pull their charter. And not even that school wanted to hire me!

Last year I had the person who did my screening interview tell me, to my face, that my university did me no favors by not telling me I would find it almost impossible to get a job as a teacher because I was so much older than the typical first year teacher applicant.

It stinks to watch other people get hired when you know that you are just as qualified, if not more so, than they are. That is a fact. And there is no way to sugar coat it! It stinks and it is impossible to not feel as if we are being cheated out of something. We are human. It hurts to get passed over. It is a horrible feeling to think you have so little control over a process that is so important to you.

But...you have some control. You can tighten your resume. Fine tune it and tweak it. You can reflect on every interview and think about how you can improve on your answers for next time. You can put together a packet to leave with hiring teams. You can change your interview wardrobe up. And you get to decide to keep doing it until you're the one that gets the offer.

I have been about as discouraged as it is possible to be. Just keep on working at it. Do the best you can and then move on to the next application. The next interview. And understand that each "NO" isn't necessarily saying anything about you as a teacher. It just says something about the hiring team at that particular moment in time.

Good luck. Keep on trucking, baby! Because it can all change in a heartbeat.
    Sheilah

8. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Jun 15, 2014

I get rejection letters in the mail every other day. The days I don't get physical rejections I wake up to emails telling me some position I have applied for has been filled. I'm keeping them for now to try and talk my student loans into another year of forbearance if necessary. It's not like I'm not trying to find a job. Hell, I applied at Rite Aid for a part time job and didn't even get interviewed for that. My life's been a blast lately.

9. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Jun 15, 2014

I know that feeling, and it's frustrating. Just take comfort in knowing that they likely had a candidate in mind already, it may not have been a reflection of you at all. The fact that they got those letters out so quickly makes me think that might be a possibility.

I also don't think that phone interviews are the best way to get to know a candidate/get a true indication of whether or not they'd be a good fit for the school. Try not to take it personally and move on to the next one :hugs:

10. rpickles

rpickles Rookie

Jun 15, 2014

I know it's so discouraging, but one day you'll interview at a school that is a perfect fit for you!

11. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jun 15, 2014

I love you all so much!!! We need to stick together. It is hard, boy do I know, but like rpickles said..we will eventually get to be at a school that best fits us..

I had a position at the school I student taught at. I thought that it was my dream school because I loved it when I was there before, but actually working there, I just didn't fit in. Let's say many of the teachers, parents, and students had their noses in the air. That just isn't me. I think that because I had wanted it so much, the universe gave me the job to show me that that school just wasn't the right one for me.

So yeah, I hate rejections too, but now I try to look at it as the universe, higher power, whatever you believe in, saying, "Hey..this isn't the one. You have to wait a little bit longer." OR my interviews and resume just suck lol. I decide to go with the nicer option though :)

12. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 15, 2014

Sorry, I don't want to get off topic, but how the heck did that happen??

To the OP: I'm so sorry. I've been there many times. It especially stinks when you thought it went really well and thought you had a real chance. I agree that things can turn around in an instant.

Good luck!

13. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jun 15, 2014

A number of years ago, I got a rejection letter for a position I didn't even apply for!:lol: Now THAT was a rejection!

I had sent a letter specifying that I was asking about more info about the position before I formally applied. The rejection came a few weeks later. Then, a month after that, someone called me (from her car) saying she wanted to phone interview me. Yeah, they were sure running a tight, professional ship.

14. teachinIA4137

teachinIA4137 Rookie

Jun 15, 2014

Rejection letters are so discouraging!! But at least you got one! I interviewed at the school I student taught at, and didn't get the job. They didn't email, call, OR send a letter! I was so frustrated (and clinging onto hope for a month) until I got online and look at their school board agenda - they approved the other guy. It was VERY hard not to take it as a personal insult.

Then, about a month later I subbed in my ST class and had to eat lunch with 2 of the other teachers that had been on the panel. The one was SUPER nice and we talked, but the other acted like I didn't exist (I found it a little humorous, but still rude!).

Anyway, my point is: just be glad they told you. I for one still feel some slight resentment that they didn't value me enough to tell me the position had been filled (busy or not, it takes like 5 minutes to type a letter/email or leave a voicemail)

Sorry! Rant = over.

15. andstuff

andstuff Rookie

Jun 15, 2014

This is my first season in the job hunt after graduating in May. I have gotten those dreaded letters and it really ruins your day. I seem to get them on Fridays and it ruins my weekend.

I just had an interview that I thought went well and got the letter 4 days later. Back to it i guess.....

16. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jun 15, 2014

Wow! That's totally illegal (age discrimination).

OP, I'm sorry, no matter how many of those you get, it still feels awful. I'm actually surprised they sent out a letter, I didn't know that any schools actually mailed hard copies of things anymore. Keep trying!

17. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jun 15, 2014

I got a rejection email from a screening interview. At the interview, they said that they don't know what positions they need fill yet and probably wouldn't know until throughout the summer time. I got a rejection email two weeks later saying the positions were filled (this was end of April/Beg. of May). I wish they were just honest with me at the interview. Sigh. I'm also sick of applying. It's been four years. I'm trying to stay positive throughout the summer. Things need to change for me this year. I'm about to lose my mind.

18. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Jun 15, 2014

I sure don't know how we can get rejected for something we didn't even apply for! Maybe the district sends out a manifest with all the names of those who are qualified for any openings? It sure feels like being slapped twice!

I am sure I faced age discrimination. When you think about it, the application and hiring process teachers deal with is pretty crazy. Nepotism. Cronyism. It is nuts. So strikes I felt like I was in one of those nature films of salmon traveling up stream to spawn. All these horrible obsticles to overcome, with fewer making it than don't.
    Sheilah

19. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Jun 16, 2014

I prefer having the rejection letter earlier so I don't hold out the hope. I had a principal that I was subbing for NOT tell me she hired someone else when I saw her every day. I found out by seeing that the position was filled on the personnel list.

I toke it as a blessing in disguise because I don't really want to work for someone who doesn't have the integrity to be straightforward and truthful even if it makes them uncomfortable.

She hired a teacher she taught with in her old school before becoming a principal, who is studying to become a principal as well.

I wouldn't take the rejection personally, they probably already had someone in mind.

20. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jun 16, 2014

I agree about hearing back promptly with a rejection so that I don't spend the emotional energy thinking about the potential position.

It is appallingly unprofessional though how often an applicant hears nothing at all. any applicant should get a letter. If they actually interview you and meet you face to face, that rates a phone call or at least an email. It annoys me how meticulous an applicant is about maintaining careful professionalism, but the hiring committees often behave so boorishly.

21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 16, 2014

I'd rather get a letter/email than left hanging for weeks and weeks (hey, I wonder if I'm ever going to get that job I applied for in 1999...I never heard back from them so maybe I still have a shot) LOL

22. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Jun 16, 2014

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH for all the kind words and stories! I know I'm not alone in this. Must be why I tell my boyfriend I'm on here all the time because "they just understand me!". May we all just find jobs already! Don't these districts know that we're all the best teachers? :p;)

I definitely think they had a candidate in mind already MissD59. And I agree, phone interviews are weird! How do you know if the person you're interviewing is someone you'd click with over the phone? Strange.

23. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Jun 16, 2014

I haven't decided yet how I feel about the rejection letters. I always follow up to all my applications to see if they have scheduled interviews yet and I think I prefer being told that way (over the phone, yes we've scheduled interviews but you were not chosen to interview) than on paper.

Something about seeing it on paper is more harsh, and YES they always seem to come on the weekends!!! Why is that?? Yuck!

I've never been rejected for something I haven't applied for- those of you that mentioned that- what a joke! There are definitely some school districts out there that need to get it together a little. They want us to be perfect but then they aren't! So frustrating!

Gotta all keep trucking along I guess! Good luck to you all! : )

24. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 16, 2014

I once got a rejection letter that was downright mean. I interviewed at another school in the district that I work in. The principal pointed out everything she thought I did wrong...EVERYTHING! She also let me know what I should have mentioned that I didn't. The tone of the letter is what made it so mean, I even had a few people read it to make sure I wasn't just being sensitive. And as a further slap in the face, some of the things she said I left out I did in fact address, so I'm not sure she was even listening during the interview. After talking to a few other teachers I learned that it's basically a form letter that a couple of the principals in our district send out. After seeing who she hired I realized that she already knew who she was hiring and I was only interviewed because I already teach in the district. I really wish she could have just said that instead of wasting my time.

25. eternalsunshine

eternalsunshine Rookie

Jun 16, 2014

I feel the pain! Hugs to everyone else who has been jumping through hoops this hiring season. I've been going at it 6-8 hours a week since beginning of April working on the application packet and now on applying.

Every interview I've been on has been pretty brutal. I even went on with 15 people on the interview panel. I'm surprised I didn't have a heart attack! Another one had 50 candidates (they had us schedule ourselves online so we were able to view everyone else who was interviewing.) They were looking to fill 20 positions. A few weeks later I saw the same exact job reposted. It just seems like they are being super picky. I'm so discouraged and beat! :dizzy: But I know I just have to keep on applying.

26. AlexaD

AlexaD Companion

Jun 16, 2014

Good luck to everyone looking. It's definitely a stressful situation, one I was in last year. I remember one interview where it was obvious the principal hadn't read my resume, didn't really care that I was there, and must have already had someone in mind. It was frustrating because I had gotten very excited about the possibility and had prepared very well for the interview. As soon as I walked down the steps to leave the building, I knew that I had no shot and felt the whole thing had been a waste of my time (although any interview experience is good experience). The rejection letter didn't even come for three weeks. And my first name was spelled wrong! Anyway...good things did come along a few weeks later for me, and I believe these things all happen for a reason.

27. eternalsunshine

eternalsunshine Rookie

Jun 16, 2014

Thank you for Alexa. My interview experiences have been very similar to what you described. It often feels like the interviewer has made up their mind before I even utter a sentence. It helps to know that other people have felt the same. It is great to hear that your search finally did turn out successful. I really just want to get into a classroom!!!

28. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jun 17, 2014

I am so happy I found this! I am feeling this way right now! Except, I am not getting many calls or rejection letters so I am stuck in a loop. I finally got a call last week for my local school district and interviewed, thought I did well, and was hoping to get a call today to come in for a demo lesson next week. No call today and no rejection email.

Interviewed a few weeks ago for the school where I did my student teaching, thought I had a great chance at the job, was told it was a 3 interview process, to find out they hired another internal teacher after 1 interview!

I am here to listen and support everyone through this frustrating and discouraging process!

29. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jun 18, 2014

Once you land a position, you ought to write your own rejection letters to all the interview committees that treated you shabbily!

I'm kidding . . . I think...