rejected yet again

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Sub2Teach, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Sub2Teach

Sub2Teach Companion

Jul 5, 2007

About a week or two weeks ago, I saw a posting for a first grade position in a district that I subbed in both as a long term sub twice and a daily sub teacher. I subbed 120 days in this district, as this is the limit for IL sub teachers. Anyway, so I sent my packet to both the district and the school. So, I was very disappointed yesterday when I got a letter in the mail from the asst. superintendent letting me know that the position had been filled. I don't get it. I mean, why am I good enough to sub there, be there everyday on time, do lesson plans for long-term sub assignments, go the extra mile, and then not even get an interview?

Do you think its okay to call a district in this case and ask why I wasn't even considered for an interview?

3. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

Jul 5, 2007

I don't want to give you the wrong advice here, but I would try to find out what is going on. It's very difficult to get a job here and who knows why someone else got it. If you feel as though you are not going to get hired there try other schools in your area. You are gaining great experience and you can use that to get a job somewhere else---and be sure they hire their subs.

4. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Jul 5, 2007

There are many times a great sub will not be hired because they are GREAT subs! Bad reason I know, but it is the way some districts work. I do not know if this is what is happening in your case or not, but I know it does happen.

5. jillsciencegirl

jillsciencegirl Rookie

Jul 5, 2007

I would contact the principal and ask what is up. I had an interview lately and didn't get the position, so I e-mailed the principal to ask if there was anything I could have done better (of course his response was I had a great interview, but wasn't a good "fit" for the district). Anyway, at least I knew there wasn't anything major I flubbed on.

6. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Jul 5, 2007

Your story is SO similar to mine. I have been a LTS in the same district for 5 years. Everyone says I am a great teacher. I have even had parents tell me they really hope I get hired. A few of them even wrote to the Ast. Super. But I had an interview again this year and I still didn't get hired. I know that the principal of the school I was at would have hired me, but in this district you have to interview with all the principals and it is known that this one principal hires who she wants. So, I am out again. Sometimes there are things just beyond our control and it isn't anything we are or are not doing.

7. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 5, 2007

Yes, I think that admins. often "know" who they want. There's not much you can do about it. We all know we are good teachers otherwise we wouldn't be working so hard to be placed. It's very frustrating, this job search. I just keep telling myself that it will all turn out for the best, don't second guess myself, just keep looking and going. This forum has been very helpful as far as strategies and moral support are concerned.

8. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Jul 5, 2007

The job search has been very frustrating for me. I was hoping to get a call back today for a second interview at a school I interviewed with on Tues. and so far it hasn't happened. I don't think I can keep going anymore. I am burned out just looking for a job.:tired: I agree this forum has been very helpful, but it is getting harder and harder for me to even post anything anymore. I just don't have the energy.

9. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 5, 2007

I so understand. I cannot see myself doing anything else but work in education. I get actually puky just thinking about going back to my "old" career (which, my experience is so outdated now, I'd just have to be a receptionist for minimum wage around here, ugh!) But I may have to do that to put food on the table.

How to fight the burn out? Maybe a topic for another thread. I don't know. I just find myself hanging around the house, websearching, calling, etc. for jobs. The social connection seems beyond me now, as people I talk to seem to turn their noses up, knowing that I"m an unemployed teacher, as if there's something wrong with me. Very frustrating.

OK, pity party over. Teach123, I wish I could be there to put my arms around you and give you a hug. BTW, where are you? My brother lives in Lancaster.

10. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Jul 5, 2007

[

OK, pity party over. Teach123, I wish I could be there to put my arms around you and give you a hug. BTW, where are you? My brother lives in Lancaster.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to give you a hug, too!!! I live about 1/2 hr. away from Lancaster.

11. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 5, 2007

When I get rejection letters, I look at myself in the mirror and say "Well that's their loss."

It helps me.

12. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 5, 2007

Exactly!:p

13. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

Jul 5, 2007

Over the past few years I have learned to look at my rejection letters in a joking way. I always tell people if I save every rejection letter I received I would have enough to wallpaper a room in my house. I do get a little sad because I have wanted to teach since I was in second grade. Now when I get a rejection letter I just figure that I am being rejected because they already had someone in mind when they posted the job or that I too valuable to them as a sub because I am so flexible and willing to do almost any job they ask of me.

Mldouglas

14. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 5, 2007

I was a LTS in my former district for 2 years. I was a classified employee before that in that same district. When I wanted to stop subbing in the sped. room and wanted to teach in a regular ed class, I got a lot of courtesy interviews, but no one would hire me. They kept telling me that I was their second choice. I was so sick and tired of coming in second!!
    Once the district or the admin's see you in one position they have a hard time seeing you in a different role. Many times they want to keep good subs on their sub list.

I finally bit the bullet and stopped doing the Lts thing. I went to a nearby smaller district and started subbing there. It was a major cut in pay, but I focused my energies on one school. I ended up subbing there about 3 to 4 days a week. That was in January and I was offered an interview in June. I was hired last year and I plan never to leave!

So, my advice is to sub in an area that is known to hire their subs, find a school that you ARE the best fit for, and court the school.

15. lillebe

lillebe Rookie

Jul 5, 2007

I know how each of you feels. I've been on a few interviews and after the interviews I don't even want to check the mail for fear of the dreaded rejection letter. Now I don't even tell people that I have interviews because I feel horrible when they ask me if I got the job and I have to tell them no.. I feel like such a failure. It's great that this forum is here for support because no one knows how we all feel and how hard it is out there trying to find a job. It's nice to know I'm not the only one getting rejected over and over again, and that we're all in the same boat

16. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Jul 5, 2007

You are definitely not alone. It seems that way though, with so many people on the forum getting jobs lately. I know how you feel about not even wanting to tell people you have an interview, so you don't have to tell them you didn't get it. I feel so defeated today. I thought the interview I had this week would be the one.

17. annafish

annafish Companion

Jul 5, 2007

Can I join the pity party? I know how you feel lillebe, If I hear "have you heard anything?" one more time I will scream. I am trying hard to just prepare in case I get another interview, but like someone else said, it is hard to find the energy. I think next time I have an interview I will keep it to myself, that is if I ever have another one!

18. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 5, 2007

Really. My FIL just asked for the umpteenth time "Have you been looking for a job?" "Yes. Every day." "Have you found anything yet?" Well, duh? Don't you think I'd say something? Granted, the poor old guy is 85 years old, so I know it's not his fault necessarily, but when the rest of the family starts pickin', it really gets old. Makes me feel so inadequate, like a failure. I mean, if I were a deadbeat, it would be one thing. But, I completed four years of college in three years in my mid-forties with kids to raise and everything else. And, even though I really wanted to teach, the did encourage me and all. And now this. Makes you want to go crawl in a cave sometimes.

Pity, pity, pity (party)

19. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 5, 2007

Me, too, annafish! I have teacher friends who have spoken to their principals about me (glowingly, so they say), and I can't even get an interview! I will either have to student teach (a financial hardship, but it can be done) or get a job that will suffice as an "internship," meaning I will be a fulltime teacher, just being observed more. If you can't get the interview, how do they expect you to get a job? I am furious with the people in our Alternate Certification program -- they made it seem as if teacher jobs were everywhere and there were never enough teacher candidates. Hah!

20. annafish

annafish Companion

Jul 5, 2007

Yeah, I know people aren't trying to be mean when they ask that, but I hear it 25 times a day! I am working in a summer program right now, so everyone is aware of my situation. I am trying my best to just smile and say "not yet" instead of screaming! I hope that we all will be able to soon say "Yes I got a job!"

21. mincc

mincc Companion

Jul 5, 2007

I am crashing the pity party!!!!!:eek:

I know how you all feel. I have family members doubting me, too. I have watched 2 of my friends get GREAT jobs without interviews. I even helped one buy her supplies and create lessons.

The interviews are few and far between for me and then someone with a connection or more experience gets them. I came in 2nd once so I figure I have to find "my" school...but the market here is so ridiculously flooded.

You have to keep trying and know that you are doing your absolute best. I know that and that keeps me going.

Hang in there and vent here. :)

22. skiteach

skiteach Rookie

Jul 5, 2007

I can relate---I have been looking for 2 years. Most recently, I won't say I've "given up" but am taking a break from subbing/being an aide and have returned to my former career to financially regroup. But, I did contact my ed. program to let them know specifically the challenges I faced the past 2 years. Even though I felt they prepared me to teach, I do NOT feel they prepared me for the job search---politics, etc. All they do is get our hopes up, when ed. programs should be much more realistic about job prospects. Considering an "entry level" position in teaching is as an aide/sub---$10-$13/hr---that in NO WAY compares to a salary "entry level" position in another field----who the heck can live on sub/aide pay that for long---and there is no reward or promotion for good work (like there is in the real world).
    I am typically not a whiner or a blamer. But I am furious. However, I was able to rationally :angel: communicate with my former ed program and I do feel like I gave them good info. At least they know my frusrations. Made me feel better anyway....

23. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Jul 5, 2007

I agree. Sometimes we feel totally helpless in these situations. I think colleges should be more truthful about what it is really like out there. I was a SAHM trying to go back. No one told me I wouldn't be able to get back in.

24. ImMissM

ImMissM Rookie

Jul 5, 2007

I feel everyone's pain here so I too will join the pity party. I had to take a job 54 miles from home my first year and then had to leave because my fiance an I have to move even farther from this area. I had been struggling to find a job or even an interview or even an opening somewhere! There are just so many teachers and so few jobs! It seems all positions are being filled from the inside by someone who knows someone. Its so frustrating. I was devastated a few weeks ago when I had gotten to a 4th interview in a very prestigious district only to be told that I'm a wonderful teacher, but too sweet to deal with the demanding parents. I was so insulted by this. I couldn't believe they could make a judgement like this without checking references. How would they know if I could handle demanding parents or not. I've also had the experience of subbing in a district through college just to make connections and then I don't even get an interview. They said they needed someone with experience, then I come to find out my neighbor's kid got a new teacher in this district who was right out of college. I wish I knew who she knew.

SO in other words. Try not to take anything personally. You never know what a district is thinking and something will come up when and where you least expect it! :)