Rejected (again)

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by merigold78, Jul 28, 2008.

1. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Jul 28, 2008

hi all,

i just got rejected for another position - i am seriously feeling bummed out! :( i really do not even know what some of these schools are looking for. i have spent the last 5 years teaching in the GHETTO & have been extremely successful, to boot! i have received numerous awards, had ridiculous test scores, AWESOME letters of recomen. & evaluations - it just goes on & on! :( i know that i do get nervous in interviews, but i feel like i did my best. it's just so hard knowing the job probably went to a first year, right out of school/no experience, instead of someone qualified & passionate such as myself.
    sorry for the depressing post, but i'm really getting sick of this! i feel like i've spent the better part of the last 5 years searching, & wonder if i'm ever going to find "my job." guess i need to go eat some chocolate......

Meri

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 28, 2008

I am so sorry. The timing just seemed perfect for this position. It is their loss.

4. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jul 28, 2008

Merigold,

I am so sorry that you had bad news. This is definetely NOT an easy process. I hope that you will have some good news coming your way soon.

jw13

5. Tetti

Tetti Rookie

Jul 28, 2008

So so sorry. It was their loss. Wishing you the best.

6. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 28, 2008

I'm so sorry. Go get yourself a bottle of wine, some chocolate and watch a cheesy love movie this afternoon.

7. lindita323

lindita323 Companion

Jul 28, 2008

Hey Meri,

So sorry to hear you did not get the job, but all that means is the job that is totally right for you is still around the corner. Do not give up hope!!! Eat some chocolate and keep your head up, something will come along!!!

Linda

8. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Jul 28, 2008

"it's just so hard knowing the job probably went to a first year, right out of school/no experience, instead of someone qualified & passionate such as myself."

I'm having the opposite problem. Every position I've interviewed for went to someone with at least a year or two of teaching experience (in their own classroom). I have a Masters and some experience (permanent building substitute and a teacher during the extended school year program), but that doesn't seem to help. All of my graduate school classmates are having the same problem and we're all passionate, qualified, and intelligent people. I guess principals/interviewers already know what they want, but I wish I was what they wanted! There's a school out there for both of us so until then we just have to stay positive (as hard as it might be)!

Good luck to both of us!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  9. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2008

I'm sorry Meri:( Please don't give up...you are a great teacher!

10. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2008

I'm sorry, Meri.

11. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2008

I agree- this is their loss! I'm so sorry about this. Keep your chin up- you are bound to find your dream job.

12. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Jul 28, 2008

thanks guys - my mom came over this afternoon so i haven't been thinking about this as much. i think i'm going to make my husband take me out to dinner, for ice cream, or both :) when he gets home later. typically after i've had my pity party for a little while i'm fine.

i hate to be so pissy about this but i am just tired of being rejected. my last principal said to me - after i resigned - "i just don't see why you haven't found something else." he also told me that he felt unworthy of being my principal. cheesy, i know :) - but he believed in me & more importantly, i believe in myself. i just wish i was able to sell myself better.........

thanks again for all the support & kind words. let the pity party begin!

Meri

13. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jul 28, 2008

I know where your coming from. I was let go after teaching in a district for 2 years because they wanted to hire someone fresh out of school who they could pay less.
    It seems around here that this is the norm. I am so glad that I decided against going for my masters even though I really wanted to. If I can't get hired with only 4 years under my belt, can you imagine trying with a masters. Heaven forbid they would be forced to pay that salary.
    Just know, you are not alone.

14. seeking2913

seeking2913 Rookie

Jul 28, 2008

I'm so sorry :( I know it was very frustrating when I was looking as well...it seems like it all comes down to being where God wants you to be at the right time...I'm sure He will open a door for you! We need passionate, well-educated teachers in our schools today! Best wishes - something good will happen soon! :)

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2008

I'm sorry meri. You are a great teacher, and a principal out there is going to see that!!!

16. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2008

Yes... I agree with everyone!

We deserve so much more...and it is so unfair for all the hard work we have been doing.

I am beginning to think there is no such thing as a pre-k job that is not in an at-risk area! :(

17. tiffanys

tiffanys Companion

Jul 28, 2008

I'm starting to believe that having my masters degree is going against me.

18. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Jul 28, 2008

Meri, I'm sooooo sorry that things haven't worked out so far for you. I can attest that you are a fantastic teacher. I've sat through our inservices that we had together and watched you get numerous awards. Too bad that you won't come back to our district. We need dedicated and passionate people like you to teach our children. My prayers and hugs go out to you.

19. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Jul 28, 2008

This just so stinks:(. I think it doesn't matter how qualified you are, how dedicated, or how passionate. The powers that be have a certain look that they want, you have to "fit" and ..... I am so tired of all the politics and kiss butts!

20. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Jul 28, 2008

I feel bad for you but I am a first year with no teaching experience but I am VERY passionate and very well qualified....it is not fair to assume that those right out of school are not as qualified or that those who have years of teaching experience are more qualified....especially more passionate. some seasoned teachers burn out way before their time and some of us who have just graduated have a lot to offer.

sorry...but I feel like the jobs are going to those with experience so, it is hard for us too.

good luck getting a job though because the fact that you are upset shows your passion for the work.

21. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2008

I am just upset about the system. I can see clearly that it is a numbers game. I am tired of being caught up. People want to interview and make file folders on staff (in Head Start), but for some reason, they can't afford to really hire them... Maybe the director is doing all the work.

Maybe in August, all the money will start flowing again, and my phone will be ringing off the table..

sigh...

I just followed some advice, and did a few more online applications...

Here's hoping for a better tomorrow...for everyone!

22. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Jul 29, 2008

i apologize if i have offended anyone by making the comment about the job probably going to a first year. when i went in to the interview, i basically ran smack into the girl who was before me (very young, probably first year). when i came out, i saw the girl who was going next (same). it seems as though a lot of districts here want to hire first years b/c they are C-H-E-A-P. this infuriates a five year veteran such as myself, b/c i know A LOT more now than i did 5 years ago. but apparently i'm just getting too expensive.

i think all candidates should be considered equally - but if i were the principal, i would want someone w/passion & experience. there is a huge learning curve in teaching, & it takes time to really master & refine your skills.

oh, when will my ship come in.........

Meri

23. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Jul 29, 2008

p.s.

iteachm123,

thanks for reminding me of some of my great accomplishments :). it really is amazing how much i've learned & grown over the last three years. although it was nice to get the awards, that's not really why i'm in it. i do what i do for the children - they are who i look forward to each day & who i'm busting my tail for! :)

my husband keeps reminding me that i could have my job back just by picking up the phone. i miss my old staff, but know i made the right decision by leaving. i just wish the job market would loosen up, already!

have a great day, everyone!!

Meri

24. TeachMe3

TeachMe3 Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

Meri,

I'm positive that some things will start opening up soon. The right position will come for you right on time. It sounds like you are a wonderful teacher!

25. JBteach

JBteach Companion

Jul 29, 2008

Hey Meri,

I have been down your road. What I found that worked for me when interviewing was showing student samples of some of your students best story writing. For narrative writing I use the Empowering Writer's program. It emphasizes using the 5 senses and lots of description. I brought with me narratives, descriptive paragraphs, and some poetry. I also tried to show samples of different grades where students did the writing in. It has worked for me the past two times. I think principals really love seeing students work. I know I do!!!Also, I have not tried doing this but I know principals love electronic portfolios. Just an idea I thought that I'd share with you.

26. Tay

Tay Companion

Jul 29, 2008

I'm so sorry Meri :hugs:

27. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Jul 29, 2008

jbteach,

thanks for the great ideas :). i have not collected student samples like i should have......you get so busy teaching that you forget about those things! :( but i DEFINITELY plan to collect work while (hopefully) completely some long-term sub. assignments. i have also thought about creating a website to market myself. i like the e-portfolio idea too, though!

thanks to you & everyone else for the continued support & encouraging posts. i really love these boards!!!

Meri

28. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Jul 29, 2008

do you all put the link to your eportfolio on your resume? or perhaps in your actual portfolio? i had to maintain one over the course of my school work but for some reason, I just can not figure how to present it!

29. ypyean

ypyean New Member

Jul 29, 2008

Hi, Meri

Yes, this is their loss! Never feel frustrated about that.
    Besides, I suggest you can try online teaching first, maybe you can have fun in online teaching. You can try ForteMall (you can googling "ForteMall" for more detail information), it is a new way to realize teaching worldwide. Hope this encourages you :)

30. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2008

well, like I said.. I could not believe these people only wanted to offer me $14, and when they said a bit more...turns out to be $15.

that is only .50 more than doubling minimum wage... :eek:

You are not expensive...

You are highly qualified and the right place will see that!

31. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Jul 30, 2008

thanks master pre-k :)

Meri

32. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2008

anytime pal! :hugs:

33. Big Shirley

Big Shirley Companion

Jul 31, 2008

I am sorry about what happened. Hang in there. Honestly, have some chocolate and remember that this is NOT a reflection of your abilities.