Regular teachers refusing to modify... I need to vent!

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by countryteacher, Oct 31, 2013.

1. countryteacher

countryteacher Rookie

Oct 31, 2013

Okay so today this is what my day looked like: talked to 4th grade teacher about modifications for three students. She had held them in from P.E> and music to work on multiplication facts. She was told that she could not keep them from P.E. She did it anyway. I had told her that one of my kids had not done multilplication before and she knew that, I had told her repeatedly. She's old but won't retire. She is determined that ALL students will do the EXACT same thing. She feels special ed is stupid. She tells the parents that.

She tells them that I lower the standards. sigh.

She acts like she has no idea what an IEP is but she's been teaching 20 years. I just want to say what the f is your problem!!!! I asked her if she remembered these kids had a disability and she just rolled her eyes. Theres nothing anyone can say to make this better but I just needed to vent.

New Teachers: You will face a wide variety of understandings of what an IEP actually is. You'd think in 30 years there would be a general understanding of what an IEP is.

I sent out as much info as I could at the start of school... and then they ignore it or lose it. GRRRRR
    Okay now I feel better. I need a friend and a hug :)

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2013

Is this something that you might consider reporting to her supervising administrator?

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 31, 2013

I would go to the SPE coordinator about her or the board and file a complaint. She is way out of line.

5. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Oct 31, 2013

An IEP is a legal document and must be followed. What this teacher is doing could get her into serious legal trouble. It's time admin or the supervisor step in.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 31, 2013

Firing or retiring her will be cheaper for the district than defending a lawsuit. If the principal won't listen, it's time to take it higher.

7. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Oct 31, 2013

This should definitely be reported to your administrator. By not following the IEP, she is not following the law, and parents can file a complaint with the state if they get wind of it.

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 31, 2013

Document the conversations as well as her actions (which you've probably already done), then hand your compilation to the administrator who works with you most closely. You need to cover your own tush when your students are being treated illegally.

9. countryteacher

countryteacher Rookie

Nov 4, 2013

I just need to get out

I am in the ignorance caPital of the world here. My principal's first words to me when I was hired was : I hate Special Ed. So you can see how that is.

THey've been able to get away with this in this school since the 70's and the only parents who know how to sue are the ones who have nothing valid to complain about. My only hope is that the special ed will be taken over by a local cooperative... since that is the way most small schools are going. IN the meantime I have no where to turn to other than my own resources and determination to outlast them.

I manage to get modifications done somehow with this teacher but I have to sort of trick her.

I'm definitely not going to willingly teach her next year but I feel like I"m abandoning the kids.

It is so frustrating when you know how special ed is supposed to work and the regular teachers don't even try to work with us. THey just want to argue.
    THanks for responding and I wish I could nail it to em but I can hope next year will be better. The cooperative wont put up with things like that.

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 4, 2013

First, I'm not sure if you are aware that you are coming across like this, but not all "regular" teachers behave like this one.

Second, it's easy to assume that being in the ignorance capital of the world means all people are "ignorant", but I would like to believe that is not completely true. Shouldn't your role include educating and advocating? Unless every member of the administration, and school board, and staff, and parents, are all "ignorant", then there are resources somewhere. How can you best advocate and educate?

Maybe it's just Monday, but there is something in your posts that just came off as "I know everything, they know nothing, and I'm going to stick-it-to-'em til they break." Is that the most effective method to get what you want?

11. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 4, 2013

I didn't get the idea that all general education teachers are like this. I did get the feeling that the teachers the OP have had to work with are like this.

12. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 4, 2013

Great, and thanks for sharing your take as well.

Maybe I should take off my rose-colored glasses, but I would like to think that there does not exist a school in the year 2013 where every single teacher on staff, and administrator in the school, refuses to work with special ed. Surely there are coworkers that the OP interacts with that can help her educate and advocate.

13. countryteacher

countryteacher Rookie

Nov 4, 2013

Okay let me be more specific: THe superintnedent, elem. principal and about 3 of my regular teachers are giving me problems and I just needed to vent. I don't know everything. The last thing I know how to do is stick it to them till they break. All I am trying to do is survive .... I have worked in other settings and never had this trouble. I guess I will refrain from venting here..... sounds like thats not such a good idea.

14. countryteacher

countryteacher Rookie

Nov 4, 2013

I think that there is a lot of naivete out there...myself included!!!!! I just assumed that every school would have administration that would back up special education teachers and students. WEll, I must have found the only one. I am not confrontational. I have tried everything I know how.

15. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 4, 2013

No, it is a good idea to do your venting here-helps you cope at school. :)

My only point is you had a lot of stick-it-to-em, I'm-right-they're-wrong words. It STINKS to be in that environment. But, these are people who have been getting by with their own status quo for quite some time (and have no resistance from parents), so for one person to try to change that is going to be difficult. I encourage you to think about how YOU can make a change in the environment in the school. This teacher sounds like she is very resistant to changing her ways-is there something you can do (and we can help you develop) that will make her feel satisfied that her students are learning, but is still respectful of the IEP?

16. countryteacher

countryteacher Rookie

Nov 4, 2013

Ok so never mind

I have worked in four other schools where special ed worked like it was supposed to. No problems. I do have here two administrators who don't understand even what an IEP is. Yes, I know it is 2013, I know it sounds surprising.

I just needed to vent until I can get out of here. SOrry I stirred up controversy and I do not come across this way when I am working with them, obviously. I am nice and professional.

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2013

Just because she's old doesn't mean she should retire, of course...but wow, what a rotten and ignorant mindset. And why in the world did your principal say that?!

18. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 4, 2013

Please, vent away. You didn't stir up anything-but perhaps we can help you find ways to facilitate change. You have a lot of year left ahead of you!

Let's go back to the multiplication issue-what would you rather see happen to these kids, instead of sitting out of PE?

19. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2013

Just finished reading all the posts. What has happened to demonstrate your superintendent doesn't know what an IEP is?

20. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 4, 2013

Wow, even the superintendent is giving you grief? It sounds like you need to bring in an advocate on the county level. Do you have an Educational Services Center or Intermediate Unit for your county? They would be able to provide more immediate and useful guidance / support.

21. countryteacher

countryteacher Rookie

Nov 4, 2013

Well here is an example of how my superintendent feels: I have an 7 year old autistic girl. She is quite severe and he told me this: I'ts too bad we can't just bust her butt like the others." I am serious. He said this.

Our principal believes in "busting kids butts." This is what I am talking about, they have not kept up with the times, they don't want to. It is hard for me to teach in a school that administers corporal punishment yet has not tried any schoolwide positive behavior plans.

I've tried and they told me that positive plans just don't work.... I think the school is about ready to close down and they just don't care.

I know not all southern state schools are like this, but there are pockets of ignorance in this lovely country of ours. And I have tried everything, and I am effective with most kids. IT is not all bad. I just needed to vent about this ONE teacher being stubborn.

She's a good teacher but I don't understand why she refuses to do do some simple things. I have tried going above and beyond for her, being really really nice but she won't do the same for the kids and that irks me.

22. countryteacher

countryteacher Rookie

Nov 4, 2013

I always wanted to come back and teach in my hometown school, knowing that it would be challenging. I never expected that they would argue about every aspect of a child's IEP. THey don't respect my director, either, high school teachers refuse to modify. Somehow they get away with it and the parents simply don't know any better. We are in a very low educated area.... I used the word ignorance...... to me means the same thing. Most of our parents dropped out of high school. I thought I could help them but all I get is the educated wanting to keep the ignorant ignorant. We don't do parent education nights, we don't do curriculum nights, we are so far out of compliance on just about everything. I need to get myself ready to go somewhere else and I feel I have failed my community. I am opposed at every turn and the school board is just not willing to exert any influence.

23. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2013

Sad. :(

24. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Nov 4, 2013

Wow-I would also feel extremely frustrated and helpless in this situation. Like others have said-is there possibly ANYONE that could help support you at the school and what you are trying to accomplish? I'm sure you've reach out, as it sounds like you are trying any avenue you can to help these kids.

And did I misread that your school still uses corporal punishment?

25. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 4, 2013

Wow, that just sounds painful. I'm sorry you're dealing with this, and I'm even more sorry for the kids going through this! It's a vicious cycle.

This is really unorthodox advice, but maybe it is time to retreat into your own room and do what you know to do. Be that safe place that your students can go to and learn what they need. You might have to educate the students (tactfully) that outside your room they might experience barriers, but inside, they'll be supported. Even though they are not supposed to be held from PE, maybe you can use that time to work on multiplication? Give them PE time later?

I don't know, just throwing out suggestions...I've worked with a teacher before who thinks you can discipline students out of special ed. It's tough, because you're dealing with a lot of years of stubbornness.

26. countryteacher

countryteacher Rookie

Nov 4, 2013

Yeah, KCJO I have resorted to that. I have no choice but to stay in my own little room. I do what I am supposed to do and I guess I am done trying to plead, educate, cooperate, or anything else with people who won't even try. I know what you are saying KCJO and it really helps being told that it is okay. I really do'nt think the school will survive, financially past this year. In which case that's out of my control. I can make my room a safe place, that is correct. I need to remember that, thanks. That really does help. And yes, we still use corporal punishment at least here in the elementary school. I must say it makes my stomach turn but I have to just look away. THis town is it's own vicious cycle... my kids did not go here and my grandkids certainly won't. Its one of the few holdouts of the smaller schools that should have been consolidated years ago. Now I see why. Your support has been appreciated. Now they are telling the kids with IEP's that they have to do just as well on the state tests as everyone else or they won't pass..... it goes on and on.
    makes me want to open my own private school!!!!!!!

27. countryteacher

countryteacher Rookie

Nov 4, 2013

Yes they still swat kids and are proud of it. That is their answer to the country's problems. Their logic frightens me. You'd think we'd have a perfect school if corporal punishement was the answer. Which is why 70 percent of their middle school is making F's. And of course, its all the kids fault. We do have a lot of low end of the bell curve here, but that's no reason to give up totally.

28. countryteacher

countryteacher Rookie

Nov 4, 2013

NExt question:

There are so many other bizarre things going on here that I don't even think you would believe if I told. I am going to look for jobs for next year... what do I say for my reason for leaving? This job is only 5 miles from my home.... they're going to wonder why I would give it up.

29. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 4, 2013

I don't know if you really need to give an explanation other than, perhaps, finding a school with a better fit for you. That leaves it open to speculation, but you don't need to add to it.

30. countryteacher

countryteacher Rookie

Nov 4, 2013

Yeah. That sounds like a good response. I want to get out of here sooooo badddd!!!!! But I will miss the kids.