Regular gradebook?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ChristyF, Mar 27, 2011.

1. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 27, 2011

We've had this question/debate for a while at my school. Are you required to keep a handwritten gradebook? We use JPams to post electronically, but we are required to have a handwritten one also. A friend in another parish is not required to use a handwritten one. (She purchased her own and keeps grades, but not attendance.)

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Mar 27, 2011

Nope- everything is electronic. Why would you need to keep a handwritten one too? That seems like a whole lot of pointless extra work.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2011

We're required to keep an electronic gradebook. That electronic gradebook is the only legal record of grades; anything handwritten doesn't count. We can keep handwritten records only as a temporary thing and we must enter the grades into the electronic version at the first available opportunity.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2011

Kind of unrelated but kind of related too....

We're required to keep attendance records in an electronic record-keeping system. We're required to print attendance reports every month or so. We're also required to handwrite on those reports information about withdrawals and entries into class, even though that information is printed on the reports. We also have to highlight certain information using different colors, like yellow and purple (and seriously, who uses purple highlighters?). It's absolutely ridiculous and a complete waste of everyone's time...but since my boss tells me to do it, I do it. (The awful thing is that I work in an enormous district, so there are tens of thousands of other teachers who have to spend an inordinate amount of time doing what amounts to busy work every four weeks throughout the school year.)

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 27, 2011

A year or so ago one of our teacher's records were requested for court and they would only accept a handwritten gradebook. That's why we have been required to keep them. I do it, honestly as a convenience. For some reason I have trouble entering grades from home (they vanish!) so I record them here and post them at school.

7. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Mar 27, 2011

I use a regular gradebook and then enter into the computer. It works well for me, it may be a bit more work but I like having a "hard copy" to take to a meeting without printing, etc. We have no policy-teachers do it both ways.

8. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Mar 27, 2011

We don't have a policy. Some teachers use an electronic gradebook, some use paper, and some do both. I did both one year and it was too much for me to keep track of. I would record a grade in one and not the other, it was a mess. I eventually just went electronic and have no regrets! I use engrade this year, but I think I'll be looking at snapgrades for next year. My co-worker uses it and it seems to have a lot more features than engrade.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2011

We don't have a policy either. I love my paper gradebook.

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2011

We have to use our electronic gradebook, but there is no policy about using or not using a paper gradebook. I just print off my electronic one every once in a while.

11. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Mar 27, 2011

We're electronic and do not need to keep a paper version. I print out my grades every couple of weeks just in case something goes funky. Something did go funky either last year or the year before when I tried to post from home and I lost half a semester's worth of grades. I had to recreate what I could and just left out assignments I wasn't able to put back in. Lesson learned was - print out a copy every few weeks!

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2011

I don't think that anyone at my school keeps their grades electronically. I can't imagine not having my paper one--I create grids on Excel and love that I can make them look exactly the way I want to.

13. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2011

We don't have a policy but I do keep a paper gradebook. I enter grades there first so the grades are in ABC order and that way it's really fast to enter them electronically. Some teachers just print out the grades once a week or so. They're cutting back on printing though so I think I'll keep my gradebook.

14. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 27, 2011

Ok so we are all doing it different ways. It's about a clear as mud! lol I do know that Louisiana is going to a state-wide grading scale next year. That will be nice.

15. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Mar 27, 2011

We are required to use the district's electronic grade book program. Because of that, the vast majority of us don't keep a paper grade book. If something happens and the program crashes, that's the district's problem. (At least, that's how most teachers view it).

16. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Mar 27, 2011

We use an electronic gradebook, with a built in backup system. I also print this out every few weeks just in case something blows up. But we were required to keep a paper gradebook up until about 3 years ago. We were also told it was for court records (as another posted above).

However, that has since disappeared, and I don't recall any detailed information as to why. To be honest, I found it hard to believe before anyway.... why on earth would a court demand handwritten records and NOT accept the electronic gradebook? odd.

17. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Mar 27, 2011

We are required to do electronic, but we are free to keep a gradebook. I keep it so I can streamline my entering data, and so I can have an audit for myself. (Ever enter a 0 instead of a 100? Ever put the grade on the wrong line?)

I also enter grades in my gradebook while riding in the car, waiting for dinner to cook etc. Then, I enter all the grades in the computer once per week. I like it that way.:cool:

18. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 27, 2011

My district does not provide a paper gradebook, but I have one that I use if I'm not close to a computer when grading.

19. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Mar 27, 2011

Every school I have worked in has used electronic gradebooks. Sometimes I have tried keeping a paper gradebook for reasons other people have mentioned, but I can never keep them both up to date. So now I just use the electronic one.

20. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2011

I keep a paper gradebook and enter grades in our district's program. I like being able to write little notes to myself, and I'm obsessive about having a backup in case the whole system crashes.

21. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Mar 28, 2011

We strongly encouraged our teachers to keep a paper gradebook the first year we switched over to our electronic version. That way if there were any bugs to work out they had a back-up. Now, teachers are required to print out their gradebook each nine weeks to have a paper copy in their records. I do have a "paper" gradebook, but it's only to record grades when I'm not near a computer.

22. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 28, 2011

We do not have to keep a paper grade book and I do not.

23. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 28, 2011

The closest I get to a paper grade book is an Excel spreadsheet of my electronic grade book. It contains every numeric grade I have given for each assignment. I could probably save it to my home computer if I were truly worried about my work system crashing (which has happened), but I haven't done so.

24. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 28, 2011

What in the world is their rationale for this additional work? In such a large district, is anyone even going through this paperwork? Oh, and Digger on ESPN uses purple highlighters...when he's wearing purple. The guy always matches his clothing to his highlighters. :)

As far as the gradebook is concerned, there are traditional gradebooks available in the office for those who would like one, but I like to enter grades into the computer system (so parents and others can see the grades) as soon as they are given, so I don't have a written copy.

25. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Mar 28, 2011

I keep both. My paper gradebook doesn't have current averages - just individual grades. I take my paper one with me to meetings and home when I grade papers. Our electronic one is often offline. I am much less likely to make a mistake with the paper gradebook than I am with the electronic (one student received a 90100 for a grade once!) and I love being able to jot down notes quickly about a grade.

26. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Mar 28, 2011

Wow! I'm in your district and my school (thankfully) doesn't do this. Now I am sitting here crossing my fingers that my admin doesn't catch wind of this and find it to be a brillant idea :unsure: Has your school been doing this for awhile or is this a fairly new development?

27. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2011

To limit the use of paper, I usually just save a copy of my electronic gradebook to my computer every so often. The chance of both the district server and my personal computer going down at the same time is slim enough I think.

I love that my gradebook system allows me to jot down comments with any grade. I can make these comments available to the parents or just to myself. So it is a really nice feature.

I think that the chance of making a mistake in recording grades is so much easier in a paper grade book than a computer. Our computer program prompts us if a grade is entered higher than the maximum points so no 90100. Also, the program highlights the student's name when entering a score so it is easy to make sure that the right student gets the score.

28. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2011

Plus, I can print missing work reports for the students to show them what they are missing as often as I like. So, the students can see what they are missing and let me know that they think they turned something in. Then they can look through their folder and find the paper. If it's not in there, guess I didn't get a copy.

29. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2011

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Why doesn't your school do this? It's in the district guidelines for attendance! They tell us at our school that we have to do it because it's district-mandated. Can you PM me with more info, if you feel comfortable sharing that info.

30. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2011

We have an electronic grading system, but I keep a paper copy. Most teachers keep some type of written system, but I think part of that is we've switched systems a few times recently and been working through bugs (one company went bankrupt during the last school year, and we had to do the rest of our grades by hand...). I use my paper copy because I like to grade at home and do not have internet access there.

31. cjw4ua

cjw4ua Rookie

Mar 28, 2011

Paper Gradebook

We are completely electronic using STI INow which is an online based program. However, I still keep a paper gradebook because things do happen!

32. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 28, 2011

I just saved all of my third quarter grades to a spreadsheet and might even print them out just to be safe!

33. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 28, 2011

I mentioned all of this in passing to my principal today. I'm hoping that they let us back off of it next year. (I pointed out all the money they'd save! lol)

34. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Mar 28, 2011

No policy as well. I just use excel for my grades. Its simple and the weighting is done for me.

35. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2011

We use Skyward. I kept up a paper gradebook until the 2nd quarter this year. I just don't have time to do everything twice. Now I save to a PDF file after every update (on my flashdrive) and print a hardcopy at the end of the quarter.

36. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Mar 29, 2011

I'm not sure why :confused:

I PM'd you :)

37. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Apr 3, 2011

What gradebook system do you use? Is it free? I use engrade and I can't do comments or print missing work. I'm looking for one next year that will allow me to do that.