Registering your own kids at home campus vs. campus you work at

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jeepgirlsrock, Jul 23, 2016.

1. jeepgirlsrock

jeepgirlsrock Rookie

Jul 23, 2016

/SORRY SO LONG/

Ok, this isn't education related but I wanted to see if anyone else deals with the same thing.

I live a few blocks away from an AMAZING campus and I work at a different campus about 30 minutes away (not a great campus btw). My husband travels for work and is gone for weeks to months at a time with maybe a week break inbetween. So it's just me who'd be taking our son to school. Oh, did I mention I'm also 6 months pregnant.

So here's where I'm having problems with him going to the campus I work....I have no one to take him to home campus ES if I register him there in the AM unless I jump through some hoops and hope to find a teacher/parent in town that'll take him early in the morning. I wouldn't be able to attend Meet the Teacher Night because of my own campus' Meet the Teacher Night. I wouldn't be able to pick him up right after classes are dismissed so he'd have to go into Extend-A-Care or an after-school program. I can't even make myself think about what'll it be like getting him to the school I work at right after the baby is born. If I'm deathly ill while my husband is on the road, I'd still have to drag my butt out of bed and drive him to school. The only teacher that has a great record for reading in kinder is a lady who is also going to get one of my toughest students from last year. I don't want that to be a distraction from learning for my son because I know that teacher will have to constantly be on top of the other boy despite me getting him in the RTI process.

WWYD? Just suck it up and take your kid to your work campus? It's so stressful (for me) that I've looked at quitting just so he can go to the good campus and I could have a normal schedule to drop him off/pick him up and attend teacher meetings.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  3. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Jul 23, 2016

I would send your child to his home campus. Can you look into daycare? They will take him to school and pick him up. That's what I'm going to have to do in 17-18 if I'm still at my school because there is no way I'd take him there.

ETA: If your school has Meet the Teacher night on the same day/time, reach out to your son's teacher and explain the situation and ask if there is another day you can meet. I'm sure she (or he) would understand being a teacher themselves. :)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    Backroads likes this.
  4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2016

Can you afford to take some time off? That would seem to be the best scenario, especially since your husband is never home.

Backroads likes this.
  5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 23, 2016

I would think long term. If he goes to your work campus and makes friends, are you willing to drive 30 minutes for all play dates? There are pros and cons of having your child at your place of work. Will you be able to get work done in the afternoons with him running around?

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2016

I would investigate options for before and after school at his home school--before and after school program at school, neighbour, older student who would walk your child? When I went back to work, my daughter was in Junior Kindergarten; the mom of one of the other girls in the class looked after Lauren before and after school. it worked perfectly for us.

jeepgirlsrock likes this.
  7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 23, 2016

As a teacher's child, I was nearly always grateful not to be at my mother's campuses.

phillyteacher and jeepgirlsrock like this.
  8. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 23, 2016

In an unrelated note, your username is awesome!

In a related note, I would say to keep your child in the home district.

9. jeepgirlsrock

jeepgirlsrock Rookie

Jul 24, 2016

Luckily I'll be able to take the 12 weeks unpaid (ugh) maternity time off. It just sucks to think about some of the scenarios I'm going to have to deal with

10. jeepgirlsrock

jeepgirlsrock Rookie

Jul 24, 2016

Those are excellent things to think about, thank you!! I doubt I'd get any work done and parent-teacher conferences would really be stressful unless I hand him an ipad and tell him to go somewhere else. I think the hard part about trying to get him to his home campus is how to get him there on time when I have to leave for work 30 minutes prior to when his teachers would let him in the classroom

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2016

Most districts around here offer a before school care option. There is a cost, of course, but it is a way for both of you to be where you need to be at the correct time. I think that in my district, kids are dropped off at the middle school, and then they are taken to the elementary school, if appropriate, on a bus.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2016

I'd keep him at home campus so he can start making friends with local kids.

13. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Jul 25, 2016

I am dealing with similar issues but with my two kids having to go to different nearby schools because my one kid with special needs can't go to our closest school where my other kid already goes. I have finally found a reasonable after-school program that has transportation from both schools. Still figuring out before school plans (there aren't in-school programs most places here). I think I will likely end up paying for a babysitter to come every morning to handle the school bus and drop off routine. Anyway, I feel you on the decisions and complexity but I agree that home school is best!

14. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Aug 5, 2016

In my opinion you should take him to your school. Unless you have a ton of money, the day care expenses are going to be steep. Also, isn't it comforting to know that if anything were to happen to your son, you're right there? Since he's still in elementary I bet he's proud to have his Mom at his school and feels more secure. Also, Sometimes "bad" schools have great teachers and sometimes "good" schools have not so great teachers---that has been my experience, and I have been able to handpick my children's teachers at my school.
    At the end of the day, you have too much going on to have to juggle all the complications that may arise by having him at the other school, especially being pregnant. It's an elementary school, not a University and I bet he will be happy anywhere as kids are super resilient.

15. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Aug 5, 2016

In my opinion you should take him to your school. Unless you have a ton of money, the day care expenses are going to be steep. Also, isn't it comforting to know that if anything were to happen to your son, you're right there? Since he's still in elementary I bet he's proud to have his Mom at his school and feels more secure. Also, Sometimes "bad" schools have great teachers and sometimes "good" schools have not so great teachers---that has been my experience, and I have been able to handpick my children's teachers at my school.
    At the end of the day, you have too much going on to have to juggle all the complications that may arise by having him at the other school, especially being pregnant. It's an elementary school, not a University and I bet your kids will be happy anywhere.

16. Mr.Literature

Mr.Literature Companion

Aug 5, 2016

My sister went to the school where my mom taught. She made excellent friends and because my mom is a teacher, she was also able to keep her with the same group of friends when she went up to middle school. Because she would have again been considered out of zone.
    I think the benefits to having your child with you outweigh the issue of having them at another school. But at the end of the day, it's your choice. Whatever you are most comfortable with. Good luck with whatever you choose :)