Regions with higher demand for English teachers?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Bombadillo, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Bombadillo

Bombadillo Rookie

Sep 3, 2015

Hi all,

I am a junior English major hoping to become an English Lit and/or ESL teacher. I am concerned about the availability of job opportunities, since I know that the job market for English teachers is tough right now, with a great deal of competition.

However, I am flexible about job locations. Does anyone know of any particular regions or states in the U.S. where the demand or need for English teachers is higher than average, and where an English teacher may have a good chance of finding a stable job?

What can an aspiring teacher do to increase his chances of finding work after grad school?

Also, do you think that in the next four-five years, the job market for teachers in general has a good chance of improving?

Thank you! I appreciate your help!

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 3, 2015

There are still English openings in my district for this school year. We just filler our last English opening Monday, and school started three weeks ago.

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2015

If you focus on ESL, you should have no trouble finding a job. Plenty of opportunity in California.

5. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2015

We just hired two new English teachers here in Northern CA. One had experience and one was a newly minted graduate. You do have to have ELD (ESL) certification to teach any subject here, and having experience with ELD students and diverse students in general is really crucial.

6. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Sep 3, 2015

If your interested in California Northern CA tends to have more openings in general.

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 3, 2015

The higher the population density, the more teaching positions, at least in theory.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 3, 2015

Southern California's problem is not the population density nor the number of positions, it's the density of teacher training programs. San Diego County, with a population in the 2010 census of just over 3 million, and with the equivalent of 19,000-plus full time teacher positions as of 2013, produced 981 new teachers in its bricks-and-mortar programs, not counting the graduates of San Diego-based National University or the teeming satellites of eight other programs. That's just about one new teacher for every 20 existing ones (and those numbers are down from the glory years of the previous decade). The result is that, while there ARE new jobs in Southern California, there are also new applicants aplenty.

9. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Sep 3, 2015

:thumb:

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 3, 2015

Even without the ESL certification, there are plenty of areas that are in need of teachers of pretty much all subjects. Las Vegas, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Indiana, etc... Nearly all markets are looser than they were 5 years ago. I'm in a very tight market, but even it has loosened. (Instead of 1000-3000 applicants per position, it is more along the lines of 500-2000)

11. Bombadillo

Bombadillo Rookie

Sep 8, 2015

Thank you everyone! from what lots of you are saying, it sounds like Northern California is a very good bet. I'm glad there are places where English teachers are still in demand :D

12. Bombadillo

Bombadillo Rookie

Sep 8, 2015

Wow... 500-2000 applicants per position still sounds like a terribly high amount. I hope such numbers represent a market that is much, much tighter than average :unsure: