Regional food questions

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by silverspoon65, May 25, 2011.

1. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 25, 2011

This is for my American studies project, so if you could include what state or region or country outside the US you are in in your response, unless it is in your profile, I would appreciate it.

Have you ever eaten a dish called Peas and Dumplings?

What do you consider to be a dumpling?

How would you describe "pot pie?"

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 25, 2011

Never had peas & dumplings.

Dumpling like a little biscuit in your food. But I think down south they are a little bigger ... like with chicken & dumplings.

Pot Pie... the one I make is leftovers turkey/chicken, veggies in gravy & then top it with a biscuit.
    I think of pot pie as something you make with the leftovers from a big meal... ie Thanksgiving (or when you eat a turkey).

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 25, 2011

I'm from the upper midwest but currently live in the southwest.

I have never heard of peas and dumplings.

I consider dumplings to be wet, doughy globs that live in soup. When I make quick chicken soup with dumplings, I pop open a can of those exploding biscuits and put the uncooked biscuits right into the soup.

A pot pie has a flaky pastry crust on the top and bottom. The filling usually consists of chicken, peas, and carrots in a creamy sauce.

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 25, 2011

Would you say those definitions are the same for both areas you have lived?

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 25, 2011

I'm from the south, and my definitions are the same as Caesar's!

Pot pie can have chicken, turkey or beef as it's main content, but it's definitely has a pie top and bottom. :)

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 25, 2011

I've seen the big dumplings (and I LOVE me some dumplings!), but when we do our homemade that Gram taught us, they are actually thin and really tender. I have never had peas and dumplings (but I do have an aunt that puts peas in everything including scrambled eggs and pizza if that counts! lol). Pot pie isn't something we ate a lot of, I remember pie crust basically with saucy meat and veggies inside. (Usually cooked in a cast iron skillet in the oven.)

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 25, 2011

I just took an informal poll of my class, most of whom are native to the southwest (though their parents come from all over the country). :lol:

Three of my forty-five students have heard of peas and dumplings.

Most of them defined a dumpling as a "boiled biscuit", though one student defined it as a noodle.

They described a pot pie as "chicken soup in a pie", "chicken soup in a crust", and "thick soup or stew inside a crust".

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 25, 2011

I'm in southern CA & no, never eaten (or heard of) peas & dumplings. A dumpling to me is a cooked piece of dough, usually in some kid of sauce, broth, etc. They could be filled w/ something I suppose.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 25, 2011

I'm in southern Ontario.

Peas and dumplings isn't something I've heard of.

A dumpling is like a biscuit that cooks on top of stew.

A pot pie has a flaky crust (like a fruit pie) and is filled with meat, vegetables and gravy.

11. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 25, 2011

I have heard of it, but I have never eaten it.

What do you consider to be a dumpling? Those little dough-like clumps. I don't really know what they are lol. But I love chicken dumpling soup.

How would you describe "pot pie?" It looks like a mini pie, but it is a dinner dish that contains vegetables and meat. The crust is super yummy!

I live in Wisconsin.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 25, 2011

I've never heard of Peas and Dumplings.

A dumpling is a little piece of heaven. They can be a whole meal.

A "traditional" pot pie contains chicken, potatoes, carrots, peas, and a chicken gravy and is either covered by a pie crust or completely enclosed in a top and bottom crust.

Kentucky.

13. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 25, 2011

Well I grew up in OH so I guess thats where my answers come from.

Yes, we ate Peas and Dumplings quite frequently growing up. I HATED it.

A dumpling is a little mushy ball of dough- hard to explain. I think they're gross.

My definition of pot pie is the same as JustMe.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 25, 2011

I'm in northern NJ, although I have lived in most coastal regions of the US.

Have you ever eaten a dish called Peas and Dumplings? No

What do you consider to be a dumpling?A biscuit-like carbohydrate cooked as part of a casserole

How would you describe "pot pie?" a savory pie with upper and sometimes lower crust, filled with stew-like ingredients

15. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

May 25, 2011

Georgia

Never ate peas and dumplings.

Dumplings are nasty soggy biscuits that live in soup. Nobody serves them around here. I ate some once a long time ago.

Pot pie, according to my school, is chunks of canned potatoes, horse carrots, and gray peas held suspended in a glutenous mass of whitish flour paste with a slab of soggy pie crust on top. Yum.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 25, 2011

I'm from Long Island NY

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 25, 2011

I'd like to add that "dumplins", as they are properly called, are not round nor are they biscuits. I just did a google image search and saw a whole bunch on non-dumplings. To plop a canned biscuit on top of a heap of stuff and call it Whatever & Dumplings is just wrong, wrong, wrong. :naughty:

You roll the dough flat then cut squares or rectangles. They become slightly plump when you cook them, but they retain their overall flat, squarish shape. In the photo he's using a ruler...totally unnecessary.

[​IMG]

Even though I no longer eat chicken and dumplins, I still consider myself an authority of dumplins. So, there it is. :p

18. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 25, 2011

I agree with Just Me's definition of dumplins and I haven't eaten it in years but that's how my momma makes them.

I've never heard of Chicken and Dumplins.

Pot Pies are something I've eaten out of the frozen food section of the grocery store because my momma didn't make them but they definitely have a crust bottom and flaky golden top. It's not a sweet crust. Stew like stuff can go in them but so can creamy chicken stuff.

I'm from Texas.

19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 25, 2011

I'm in east-central Kentucky.

Dumplings are pieces of dough cooked in liquid. They can be sweet or savory. They can be baked or cooked on the stovetop.

I physically cringed at the thought of a canned biscuit posing as a dumpling. Dumplings are rolled out like pie crust, and then they are cut into squares. (Although, I sometimes make "drop dumplings" out of biscuit mix and milk.)

A pot pie is basically a stew (turkey, beef, or chicken) poured into a pie crust, topped with pie crust, and baked. I'm "non-traditional", and I make one with homemade chicken gravy, lima beans, and diced potatoes. No meat.

I've never heard of peas & dumplings.

20. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 25, 2011

I've never had peas and dumplings.

I've never had dumplings and honestly, before this thread I thought that dumplings were little pieces of meat in stew. :lol:

Pot pies are little personal pies with a flaky crust that contains chicken, peas and carrots.

I'm from Upstate New York

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 25, 2011

I know. I was shocked! :)

[​IMG]

22. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

May 25, 2011

^I agree with her

23. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

May 25, 2011

I live in Florida but I'm originally from Long Island, NY.

I've never heard of peas and dumplings before

Kind of like a biscuit? I'm not really too sure

It has a flaky crust on the top and crust on the bottom which tastes so good because of the creamy sauce in it. It has chicken and veggies (but can also have turkey and beef also)

24. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

May 25, 2011

I am from PA near where OP is: never heard of Peas and Dumplings together.
    I feel obligated to enlighten all of you on what Pot Pie is supposed to be. Pot Pie (I suspect this is from my amish neighbors) is dough rolled out into squares and cooked into a really thick broth. I prefer chicken pot pie but variants include ham pot pie, beef pot pie and turkey pot pie. All other varieties of "pot pie" that include a crust and actually look like a pie are just a humiliation to my starchy fav. If you happen to venture into central PA and see a fire hall or church having a "pot pie supper" you should venture in and fill up. Yum!

25. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 25, 2011

:lol:

You and are talking about two different products, I think. In my experience, dumplings can be any shape, but they are always puffy and soft. Rolling them out and cutting them...doesn't that turn them into noodles?

26. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 25, 2011

Hmmm... :)

What you describe as puffy and soft are more like drop biscuits...and if you happen to drop them into a broth of some sort, their just wet drop biscuits. What I describe isn't at all noodles. They're at least a quarter inch thick when cooked. So funny that we have a few different definitions!

27. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

May 25, 2011

I live in Washington state now, and none of the families I have encountered know what Chicken and Dumplin's would be. I have to explain it each time it shows up in a story or .......the preschool song. They also don't know what an opposum would be.

Peas and Dumplin's is something I have never eaten, but since I didn't like dumplin's when I was small (turned out to have a dairy allergy...so the creamy soup/stew that is usually part of the dish made me really ill).

My Grandma made dumplin's the same way as the photo, and probably with the ruler. She used one to trim bacon! My mother did not make them the same as her MIL. So she just wisked it together and dropped it in the soup.

Pot Pie has top crust and bottom and turkey stew inside, or others. I love it now! No one out here knows that either.

When I was a child my family lived in South Bend, Indiana and we lived on the Kentucky/Illinois border.

28. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

May 25, 2011

My Mom called my Grandmother's (her MIL) dumplin's noodles once, and she told us that was what we were to call them.......but believe me there was a huge family ruckus. Whew, not a good plan.;)

29. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 25, 2011

Born and raised in CA.

Have you ever eaten a dish called Peas and Dumplings? Never heard of it.

What do you consider to be a dumpling? No clue.

How would you describe "pot pie?" I've had pot pie once. It was an Amy's brand, vegetarian, and good. It was a pie with mashed potato and vegetable filling.

30. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 25, 2011

Peachy... I was going to say like a Banquet pot pie... the sodium in those things are scary!!! We just make our own now!!! So good on a cold day!!!

31. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 25, 2011

Are they hard to make? They would be yummy on a nice cold day. :)

32. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 25, 2011

Ok I will answer my own questions:

From the DE perspective:
    Dumplings are usually flat and rolled out, like just me was talking about, although we did not use a ruler either. They are kind of in the same realm as a noodle but a much thicker, doughier texture. I was aware of the puffier drop kind of dumpling - that's what my one grandma made and what my mom grew up with, but that was before they moved to DE. Chicken or beef and dumplings is very big in the area, especially for community or fundraising dinners. Peas and dumplings is just that, with a ham bone for flavor. It's wonderful. But although I see dumpling dishes in some other areas, I have not really seen peas and dumplings outside of the Delmarva area.

Pot pie is something with a crust similar to a fruit pie, but with meat and veggies and a sauce in it.

From the central PA perspective - dumplings are something you drop into the soup or thick stew. This is what my one grandma used to make. They are somewhat like a biscuit but NOT ready made biscuits.

I do not see peas and dumplings around here.

Pot pie is a soup/stew of usually chicken and some veg mixed with usually homemade pot pie noodles, which I can't figure out how they are different from any other kind of noodle. It's similar to the above definition of chicken and dumplings but the noodle is definitely noodly-er. lol. As far as I know, this definition of pot pie is only used in the central PA German area. I had never heard it until I moved here.

I am taking an American Material Folk Culture course and I think I am going to do something revolving around pot pie/dumplings as a food culture but I still need to develop a thesis. Just trying to maybe pin down where this stuff is eaten and what it is called regionally. So keep the answers coming! If this is anything like my BF and I, this could become a heated debate. lol.

33. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 25, 2011

My gram makes dumplings for her soups as well!!! Must be a gma thing!!!

Never heard of pot pie noodles.

34. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 25, 2011

My grandmother (from Ohio, which she pronounced "uh-HI-uh") made chicken and dumplings with stewing chicken and homemade biscuit dough cooked in (not on top of) the fairly soupy stew-stuff.

What passed for pot pie when I was growing up was, I regret to note, Banquet frozen pies, with wretched double crusts. It was a revelation to me to discover the British take on pies in pubs: a small oval heatproof dish filled with a meat-and-whatever stew, sealed up under a slab of what the Brits called phyllo, and baked till the crust was golden. The Black Prince in Woodstock made a glorious beef-orange-and-Guinness pie that was a great favorite among the Americans in the area, and a steak-and-kidney pie that most of the Americans avoided assiduously.

I never heard of pot pie noodles, either, though this sounds to me a bit like something between spaetzle and gnocchi.

35. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

May 26, 2011

Yes I love Peas and Dumplings! My grandma makes them for me any time I'm back in my hometown. Sounds like what I call a dumpling is what other people call a "drop biscuit" or something like that. I've just always called them dumplings. They're flour, egg, salt, baking powder or soda (I will confuse those two things forever...it is whichever causes them to puff up) and milk. You mix all that together, get a pot of peas with water boiling, get a scoop of dumpling mix on the spoon and dip it into the boiling peas where it will fall off. They cook and puff up in there. Sooooooo yummy.

How would you describe "pot pie?"

My definition is the same as other people's though I don't think I've ever eaten one. A brown, flakey crust on the top and bottom filled with chicken, carrots, creamy sauce, etc.

I am from northern Illinois originally and currently living in Nevada.

36. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

May 26, 2011

I'm from the south and :yeahthat:

37. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

May 26, 2011

I live in Florida now, but born in Chicago.

Peas and Dumplings-never heard of it.

Dumplings have a totally different meaning to Czechs (my background). The are a raised dough that is shaped into a small loaf, then boiled. When down, it is delicate and you slice it with a string, although the texture is kinda bread-like.

Southern dumplings (to me) are like thick noodles, but really very delicate. Find a Mom and Pop restaurant in the South and get some chicken and dumplings. Yum.

And what about apple dumplings?

Pot pie-what everyone else said.

38. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

May 26, 2011

I'm in Manitoba, Canada, however I grew up in the Maritime Provinces

What do you consider to be a dumpling? A biscuit-like dough that's cooked on top of a stew. However, where I grew up, we called them doughboys.

How would you describe "pot pie?" Meat and vegetables in a sauce covered with a flaky crust.

39. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

May 26, 2011

Oh, and I've never heard of Peas and Dumplings. Forgot to answer that one.

40. D_MacDavid

D_MacDavid Rookie

May 27, 2011

Well, I'm Russian and live in Russia. The word "dumplings" for us means "small balls of dough cooked and served with stew or soup". The soup may be with peas as well. In the region where I live our language was strongly influenced by Ukrainian, so for "dumplings" we usually use Ukrainian word "галушки" (read "galushky") instead of Russian word "клецки" (read "klyotsky").