Reggio Emilia?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Turtle321, May 15, 2008.

1. Turtle321

Turtle321 Companion

May 15, 2008

Hello.

I was wondering if anyone here has had experience using the Reggio Emilia approach in their preschool classrooms? Any info would be appreciated, thanks!

3. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

May 16, 2008

I am an aide in a Reggio program. It is a lab school on a college campus, which means there are always lots of adults in the rooms (practicum students, etc).

I think there are pros and cons (but that is the case with any program).
    Pros-
    the children are genuinely interested in their activities- because they are choosing them. My class started asking about the pipes in the bathroom, and we had a plumbing unit for weeks afterwards.

The environment is more "comfortable" than a traditional classroom. Everything is very neutral colors, we have comfy adult furniture as well as child sized, there are pictures of the children and their families, etc. I really think this home-like atmosphere is great, especially in the toddler class!

You really get a chance to KNOW each of your students, because you're spending your time facilitating the activities that they have expressed interest in.

Cons-
    less structure than many other programs have. Lesson plans are more of a guide- I hate when I do all the prep for a project, and then no one wants to do it! Eek! But I guess that's better than fighting them to make them participate...

Our classrooms get very loud, especially during the block of indoor activities (uninterrupted 1.5 hour block). And also very messy!

I chose to work at this program at least through summer for one main reason. Although I prefer a program with more structure, it seems that all the preschools in my city are one extreme or the other- and going with the flow seems better than fighting them tooth and nail every step of the day! ;)

4. Turtle321

Turtle321 Companion

May 16, 2008

Thanks so much for your input! Any others out there with Reggio experiences?