Refusing to work

Discussion in 'Behavior Management Archives' started by Beth2004, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 5, 2006

Ok, here's the scoop....
    In the class where I'm working as a long-term sub there is a student who has been a behavior problem all year. He's been a challenge for me since I started (on Nov. 28th), but was more of a "pain" than a major problem. He is supposed to be moving, though, at some point this month and told me yesterday that his last day is supposed to be next week. I haven't heard any of this from the mother, though. Anyway, because he's going to be leaving he feels as though he doesn't have to do any work. I looked over their math papers from yesterday and he had only done 4 of the 15 examples that I assigned....and not because he's not capable! Then today, he started to fall asleep while we were reading aloud as a class and when it was time to do the comprehension questions he refused saying, "Who cares? I'm not going to be here to finish the book anyway." Honestly....I can see where the child is coming from, but I can't just let him not do any work for the next week (if he last day really is next week). I'm going to speak with the principal and secretary tomorrow to see if they can get any straight answers from the mother about the actual moving date (apparently she's been saying they're going to move since October) and I'm thinking of sending a note home to her asking her to speak with him about it, but does anyone have any other suggestions of how I can deal with this student?

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 5, 2006

The only thing I can think of is have a going away party for him if he completes all the assignments. It sounds mean not doing it if he doesn't but he needs some sort of incentive to get him to work.
    Maybe someone else can come up with a better idea.

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 5, 2006

That's a good idea....I could do that....

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 5, 2006

LOl it might work.I would feel mean though if he didn't do the work and I didn't do something for him when he was leaving.

6. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 5, 2006

Not me :) haha
    I've got no problem being a meanie!

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 5, 2006

I would try to find out for sure what is happening about moving. If his mom has been talking about it for awhile it's hard to say whether or when it is going to happen. He could be feeling really unhappy, frightened and confused about leaving his friends and neighbourhood and starting somewhere new. I teach grade 5 and have a few boys who act out the most when they are the most frightened about something that is going on in their lives that they have no control over. He may need some extra attention to help him get through this.

8. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 5, 2006

Oh believe me, I'm trying. I was warned about him being a challenge before I even started so I've been trying to make a connection with him all along. Everytime I try to talk to him about his behavior, or ask him what's going on he gives me the impression that he thinks he's pulling the wool over my eyes and getting away with something. I've kept him inside during recess and things like that, so he's not getting away with anything, but I can't really explain it, but that's just the impression I get. He has to stay inside during recess today with the teacher next door tomorrow, so i'm going to try to pull him aside then to talk to him about everything...we'll see if he's willing to open up.
    Hopefully I'll also get some straight answers from his mom about when they're moving.

9. teacherchick

teacherchick Companion

Jan 5, 2006

Good luck unfortunatly alot of kids are like that and so are the parents, I have one now that is supposidly moving and what not but it is not the first time theyhave said this.. Do you have a guidenbce counselor or a school psychologist that could talk to him about his situation that may help a bit.

10. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 5, 2006

I was speaking to the guidance counselor about it today. She actually was the one who stopped me in the hallway to ask if I had heard any more about him moving. I guess she's spoken with him a few times throughout the year. I may ask her if she can find some time to speak with him next week.

11. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 7, 2006

Well, I got the official word from the guidance counselor yesterday that next Thursday is going to be his last day. I'm anticipating that his behavior is going to get progressively worse until then, but I'm going to try the incentive that Jaime suggested. The regular classroom teacher is coming in on Tuesday to visit and to help me get his report card ready to send with him...maybe she'll have some suggestions of how to deal with him too.

12. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jan 7, 2006

Good luck! I doubt there is anything you can do to persuade the kid to do his work. Let us know how it turns out.

13. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 7, 2006

I don't really think there is either. The way he's looking at it is, what's the point? He's going to be in another school in another state in less than two weeks. Honestly, I can understand where he's coming from.

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 8, 2006

Good luck getting through the next bit of time with him. When I go back tomorrow one of my students (who sounds a lot like yours) will have moved over the Christmas holidays to a new city to live with Dad's new girlfriend. I heard over the break that apparently Dad is going to try to keep him at our school in spite of the relocation, but that will mean a drive of almost an hour each way...can't see how long that will last. I'm anticipating a few days of "Joey" being bouncing off the walls while he is looking to regain some consistency in his life.

15. newteacher16

newteacher16 Companion

Jan 9, 2006

Does he realize that records are released to the new school, and bad grades don't just disappear? I mean, if he's grade-driven then maybe that would make a difference to him.

16. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jan 10, 2006

I was going to ask the same thing. Have you talked to him about this aspect? I have a student that has been saying the same thing for the past 2 months. It's starting to drive me crazy.

17. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jan 10, 2006

Have the kid write a letter to his new teacher.

Then do a little prayer for his next teacher.:love:

18. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 10, 2006

He's not grade-driven at all. He honestly couldn't care less. I've talked to him about how I am doing his report card this week to send with his records to the new school, but he doesn't care.

19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2006

I feel for you Beth...my student knows that he is moving houses on Friday (about 45 minutes away) but doesn't know yet whether or not he is changing schools. There has (apparently) been lots of talk back and forth between the principal, dad and my student about what to do. (Dad is leaving step-mom and moving in with new girlfirend). Every day, several times a day, I hear, "That's it, I'm staying here" or "That's it, I'm changing schools". or "Can we do that this week so that I don't miss it?" or "Can we have a going away party for me?". Honestly, my head is spinning, can't imagine what his is doing! I guess that all we can do is try to hang in there and keep them from keeping everyone else from working. Their young minds must be so confused (at least that's what I keep telling myself). GOOD LUCK!