refusing to hold back child

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by love_reading, May 9, 2008.

1. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

May 9, 2008

I am really pretty frustrated now. I have spoken at length with a mother about her child in my class who I believe should be held back. The child is very young, with a summer birthday, VERY immature and small. The child will refuse to work or answer questions and will pout and cry for most teachers. The child struggled through a level 10 book yesterday and should be reading at a level 16 by this time of the year. The math benchmark score was below 30%. What more can I do???

3. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

May 10, 2008

Sometimes that's the only thing I like about having to give grades--you have a basis to hold a child back. If they have a failing grade in math or reading they get held back. End of story. Parents can complain but their last resort is to take it to the Board and they back us up on that.

I'm sure you have already explained to her how much her little baby will struggle next year and get more frustrated. Any child I've ever held back did great the next year!

Even though he's got a late birthday this whole pouting and crying thing isn't normal. He sounds like he has some kind of emotional problem.

4. ranger1stgrd

ranger1stgrd Companion

May 10, 2008

love reading don't beat yourself up over it you can always hope over the summer he might mature some what.
    But more than likely next year the mother will hear the same thing from his 2nd grade teacher and hopefully mom will come to the right conclusion and hold him back.

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

May 10, 2008

In our district, WE make the decision about retention. If they have Ds and Es, are reading a year behind the benchmark, etc, then we decide to retain. Of course, we are reminded all year long to make sure that we only put children up for retention IF they have Ds and Es in reading and are significantly behind in reading.

If a child does't have D's and Es in reading, or we can't document that they are significantly behind in reading, we can't even suggest retention. Retaining due to immaturity isn't permitted -- only retention due to not meeting academic standards.

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

May 10, 2008

Oh, and we often have parents request to have their child retained..and again, we aren't permitted to unless they have Ds and Es in reading (it can't be straight Ds, they have to have at least 1 E in there, too) or they are behind on the reading benchmark, we cannot retain even if the parent requests it.

I guess that is one of the things about working for a large district -- things are spelled out in black and white.

7. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

May 10, 2008

Actually, he has an early birthday. Our cutoff is Aug. 1 and his birthday is July 4. So he won't even be 7 until July.

8. love2teachk

love2teachk Companion

May 14, 2008

In VA the students are required to have mastered 70%of the standards. Parents can't argue with that. When parents say "But he/she can do it at home!", we've allowed them to come and sit in during another assessment to prove their child isn't ready. I HATE retaining kids, but explain to parents I don't want their child to decide they hate school because they are unsuccessful in the next grade level! Good luck!

9. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

May 14, 2008

Retaining kids is definitely hard. I'm new and not sure of how things go at my school, but I think that we as teachers make the decision and that is that. We are lucky enough that our district actually retains because all of the districts around us do not. I'm retaining 2 of mine. All I can tell you is, that if she doesnt agree then at least you tried. You warned the mom, and she cant blame anything on you if the child fails next year. I know as teachers we hate to see kids struggle, but theres only so much we can do.

10. cmgeorge626

cmgeorge626 Companion

May 17, 2008

I understand your frustration! I went through the same thing last year, and the kid went on to 2nd grade. He struggled immensely, and is being held back in 2nd this year. I loved this little boy and am heartbroken that he's having to go through so much frustration because of his parent's poor choice.

However, at the end of the day we have to remind ourselves that we just teach 'em, we don't raise 'em. To me, that means we do all we can for them, but the ultimate decisions have to lie with the parents.

11. Jill420791

Jill420791 Companion

May 26, 2008

Iam going thru the same thing right with a child in my room. Mom signed off on the forms said she understood everything. Dad calls up throwing a fit about saying he doesnt want his child held back and that his wife had no clue what she signed which is total BS. This child is reading on a 0.9 reading level which is the 9th month of kindergarden. I am beyond frustrated. My principal is suppose to be setting up a meeting. I feel bad for the child because I taught second grade last year and I know this child is going to be lost and start hating school if made to go to 2nd. But what can you do! Its in the principals hands now!