Reflections of first quarter

Discussion in 'General Education' started by czacza, Nov 19, 2011.

1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 19, 2011

For many, we're coming up on report cards, conferences, end of first marking period. As you reflect on these first few months of school, what are the highlights, what makes you proud of your students, about what are you most excited and thankful?

I'm in my second year of third grade after having taught eight years of grade 2. Last year was a whirlwind...juggling a new curriculum, new partners, state testing. This year, I'm in the groove. Earlier this week, my P came and asked if some visiting teachers from Asia could observe in my room. I was the only teacher on my grade level asked...I taught a writing craft lesson. My kids were great, we incorporated technology, the visiting teachers were engaged and interested. We ended the morning with a catered lunch for the visitors and host teachers. My kids told me in the afternoon that they 'felt famous because people came from another country to see how we learn'. :)

I'm so thankful to be in a school that recognizes professionalism, gives us flexibility in instruction, and values the work that educators do.:love:

3. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Nov 19, 2011

We're halfway through the 2nd quarter... for all the craziness going on down here, I have absolutely the BEST group of kids ever. In the history of teaching. Their teachers last year cried when they left. The come in every day excited to learn and try new things. They are absolutely making all the crap going on outside of them worth it :)

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 19, 2011

My first trimester will end with my exam just before Christmas.

I tweaked out the typos in the exam last night. I'll finish the key today, and hand it in for approval Monday. (It's due just after Thanksgiving, but I'm not spending a holiday weekend on schoolwork.)

I'm right where I want to be in the syllabus. After Thanksgiving, I start equation of a line and graphing quadratics. I should finish just in time for a few days of review before the exam.

And my kids are simply phenomenal.

5. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Nov 19, 2011

My year has been amazing so far. I left a very stressful (political warfare) environment and although my commute is waaay longer now, I've been having such a great time just TEACHING.

It's my first year teaching middle school, and I had to learn quite a bit in the first month or so, but now that I've adjusted my teaching to better fit the little guys, it's smooth sailing.

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 19, 2011

You are so lucky to be part of school like that.

As far as reflecting goes, I have a more challenging group than I have had in the past, but I am pleased to say they are responding well and behaving well. I have a great connection with my kiddos and am so proud that they are really into the swing of things. My kids were specifically put in my class because of their challenging behavior and I am so happy that admin. felt I was capable of working with them. They are a bunch of sweethearts and I feel truly blessed to be able to spend my days with them.

7. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Nov 19, 2011

My year has been harder than I expected. I have taught second grade before but not with the challenges I have this year.

On Friday we finally got more aide time for some children and an assistant for guided reading.

I am hopeful that the next quarter is easier!

I absolutely adore my class though! They are sweet and curious.

8. queenie

queenie Groupie

Nov 20, 2011

I started the year with 24 students and am now down to 19! My class is terrific! When I signal for them to get quiet, they do it! When I give them instructions, they listen! Plus they are just sweet and kind. SUCH a good group of kids! I keep waiting for a transfer to ruin it all....lol

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 20, 2011

The first part of the year has flown by. Now that many of our school "must-dos" are out of the way, I can focus on getting some things up and running a little more smoothly. I'm so proud of some of my students. One, who did the bare minimum last year, is completing all of his work and is even handing things in early. He has a severe language LD that can really bog him down at times, but he is consistently putting forward his best effort. Another student has some very complex needs that we are just beginning to sort out. He almost never speaks (and his English is very limited), but he wrote a short speech during our public-speaking unit and presented it for 4 peers on Friday!

I'm struggling a bit with the balance of the Special Ed workload, but I'll get past that. When I sit back and reflect, I'm excited about where things are going this year.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 20, 2011

We're halfway through the second nine weeks grading period.

Overall, I've had much, much worse years with behavior and work ethic. We have HUGE classes, though, and I feel like I'm not getting to know the kids that well. We're not able to do some of the things I normally do because there simply isn't room. Traditionally I have four groups of kids with a small group being 18 and a large group being 25. This year I have three groups with 35 in a class. That's just too many kids. We can't do group work because there is no room to "group". That's frustrating to me.

This group was "talked up" a lot before they came to us. Last year's group was supposed to be the worst kids that had ever come through our district . . . low scores, severe behavior problems, etc. I loved them! Now I get this group that is supposed to be the best ever . . . and I'm not seeing it. I keep thinking that maybe under other circumstances I'd like them a lot more.

This year is much better as far as the actual master schedule and lack of pressure from outside. The year is going by pretty fast, too.

11. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Nov 20, 2011

The first quarter of my first year of teaching.....was kind of a **** show. At least I feel that way. My P had some really nice things to say though so I guess I have to celebrate the successes. I've had a couple kids REALLY turn their behavior around. All of them are trusting me more, we have less behavior issues, more learning occurring. Assessments are better. I went in yesterday and re-organized my room to make more sense and to be more functional space-wise. I am setting some 2nd quarter goals around better parent communication, better small group work/differentiation, and as always, making a better grading system. :yawn:

I am most concerned about small group work. I think it will come along though.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 20, 2011

So nice to read that despite some struggles and 'outside influences', we're finding things to celebrate...keep doing what you do!