Reflect on Today's Job

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Ms. I, Sep 23, 2008.

1. EZLN1

EZLN1 Companion

Oct 13, 2008

Ok, I finally finished my demo lesson plan for Spanish for tomorrow.

Took me awhile to figure it out, but finally decided to do a bit of review on regular verbs since they haven't done it in about a month.
    The review will be in conjunction with a presentation on mexican murals...i'm gonna have the students actually conjugate verbs and write a sentence based on what's happening in the mural.

Now, I just have to go over some interview questions....that's what makes me nervous, though this will be my 3rd in person interview

2. JadeCrane

JadeCrane Comrade

Oct 14, 2008

Sounds really great - Good luck! I just know you will be fine!

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 14, 2008

Every Tues, I sub for a 1/2 day for LSH class (lang, speech, & hearing). It's such easy money! Then, I rtn to the same class for a full day on Thurs...it's great, I hope it lasts all school yr.

4. EZLN1

EZLN1 Companion

Oct 15, 2008

my interview was :unsure: it's apparent that their is a cloud of doubt surrounding me, that goes beyond my ability to teach spanish and more into my relationship (or lack of) with my master teacher last school year. We'll just say that it was a bit of an awkward experience last year. We weren't what either of us expected from each other. My MT ended up being promoted to VP this year. The other main issue is my perception as a sub. I am perceived as being chill and "easy", and they dont know whether or not the students or I will be able to make the transition. I almost felt like throwing my interview out the window and telling them "what the hell do you expect me to do when I got a lesson plan that reads "have them practice their flashcards for 100 minutes" for 2 freakin' weeks? Do you want me to crack the whip and kick the students out because their not studying after half and hour? I mustered up some decent answer instead.
    The interview ended up being more about me defending myself, and not so much about what I bring to the table. Now I'm having even more doubts about this job than I originally had. Even before this opportunity presented itself, I partly did not want to work at this school because I knew all of this would rear its ugly head. Today just reaffirmed my belief, and even though this is a full time job, part of me wants to just keep on looking for a new start at a new school. On the bright side, I got positive feedback from the teacher who saw my demo.

I'm gonna wait and see what happens. It will still be a few days before any decisions are made. We'll see what happens if they actually offer me the job

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 16, 2008

EZLN1, well, let's hope all goes well. If I don't get something, I figure that it wasn't meant to be & I'm better off.

6. EZLN1

EZLN1 Companion

Oct 17, 2008

thanks for the words of encouragement

I had a heart to heart convo with the P and at the end, decided to stick it out and keep myself in the running for the position. I made my doubts and worries clear, and she completely understood and is almost content with the class being heavily SS. If the students learn a little bit of Spanish, then even better. I did not address any concerns I addressed in my last post though

with that said, I'M DYING OUT HERE! No lesson plans. no books, nothing. I've had to resort to showing a film once again. I shouldn't even be here because I've been feeling ill since Tuesday, and asked that they find a sub for today, but when I checked out yesterday they had no one....so I'm all hopped up on pills waiting to get to my house and rest...just 1 more loooong period in this HOT room...it's so **** stuffy right now:(

and the advance class is even worse off....they have exhibitions a month from now, and we have nothing set up for them aside from a very rough sketch of what the exhibition might be...but it's one of those things that until someone types up the requirements and expectations for the exhibit, nothing will get done....at the very least they did amuse me with their sketching on the whiteboard

this school needs to decide on a teacher ASAP

7. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 17, 2008

I am ready to go back to work. I am sick of fall break! All it has allowed me to do is go to the laundry mate and wash clothes since my washer is broke.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 29, 2008

So, I'm on this LT assignment for speech class 2x/wk. Thursday, I will have completed a month of subbing there. Any day, they can tell me they don't need me, but so far, I'm enjoying this steady money while I can! What's nice for a change is that I don't work w/ the same kids on Thurs that I do on Tues.

I'm loving it & it's such easy money!