Reflect on Today's Job

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Ms. I, Sep 23, 2008.

1. stepka

stepka Comrade

Oct 3, 2008

I think you should try it. I find it easier to work with the sped kids b/c often you're doing 1 on 1 tutoring, which is easier than getting up in front of a classroom full of kids staring you down. They love you, even when they're 13. And if a child is really disabled, which I see rarely, the school will put a more experienced aide with the child--they won't put a sub with a child who easily has knock-down-drag-out fits for instance. If you get put with an autistic child, ask if he/she wanders off--that has been my biggest problem--they rarely get into much trouble, but it's embarrassing. Also, sometimes some of the downs kids get mulish and won't do their work (mainly teenagers), but those have been my biggest problems after 1-1/2 months of subbing for sped every day. I love these kids.

2. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 3, 2008

I subbed today in 5th grade. The class was perfect angels (literally) this morning and then this afternoon the devil in them came loose. They were CRAZY! To top that off they had 2 tests I had to give and a writing practice exam. I would not have minded giving the tests and writing if they were good during them. I told them at the close of the day that if they were absolutly quiet with not a single student saying anything then we would play a gave if time allowed. We played shurades(sorry for the spelling). I game simple things (Doctor,teacher, firemen) and then I gave a child baby thinking this one will be easy he will act like he is holding a baby and everyone will guess it. Nope he got on the floor and it looked like he was having a stinking sezeur. Well that got them yelling so loudly that the 4th grade teacher next door had to come over. She was not happy and she gave me this "mad" look for letting them play a game(which I told her is what we were doing). I do not think I will ever let 4th or 5th graders be allowed to play a game or do anything where I know they will get loud ever again. I was pretty embaressed to have that 4th grade teacher come in.:eek::unsure:

3. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 3, 2008

I find this to be not true at all. I have worked with special kids for about 6yrs as a sub or student helper in highschool and just about all autistic children are behavior problems (the knock down drag out kids of behavior). You may have gotten/see one of the rare ones.The wondering off part is very TRUE though. What you should have said was wondering off means runner will just take off at times. I would have thought you ment wonders from his or her work. I hope you did not sound like I was demening what you said or saying you are wrong. I just thought to correct a few places that I felt were a tad off. I love what you added though.

4. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 3, 2008

Everyone should at least try special ed once. If you hate it then so be it. (Sadly and hurts me to say since I love it) Or you will be like me and deside you want to go to school for that. WoW I love it!!

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 3, 2008

I'm an aide to two teachers and today one of the subs canceled (both teachers gone to a workshop) so I got to take over. I love that job!

6. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 3, 2008

WOW! Your P.E. and Kinder. for your area is way different then ours. We go all day Kindergarten. P.E. is all day 5 days a week each child goes for about 45mins each grade level. There are 2 P.E. people one may be a coach and one an aide or 2 coaches (depending on who they hire). You are always with either a coach or an aide. So each school has their own P.E. Teachers/aides.

7. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 3, 2008

What they did was treat you as a sub lol they sometimes do that with are aides if able too.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 3, 2008

Yes they did and I love it. :D

9. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 3, 2008

Just wondering why you loved it so much? I love it because I love to teach kids. I also forgot to ask why are there 2 teachers for one class?

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 3, 2008

I'm having problems teaming with my teachers this year. I don't get to do much with the kids. So today I was able to do my thing and be with them and do some teaching. There are technically 2 classes but we have an 1-8 ratio and there are 10 kids total.

11. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 3, 2008

So it's a special ed class?

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 3, 2008

deaf ed

13. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 3, 2008

I figured with the ratio.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 3, 2008

I see! Only at one district in my area have I ever seen the general ed teacher actually go out & be the PE teacher too. I student taught at one of these schools & my CT dressed the best I've ever seen any teacher: Hosiery, high heels, etc., so she had to go outdoors in those clothes in the hot sun & was teaching dribbling at the time.

I agree that everyone should try it at least several times to see how they really like (or dislike) it. I gave everything a chance (diff types of special ed, all pre-school-6th gen ed, PE, speech), except for general ed middle school because I know I won't like it.

I have a Masters in Special Ed & I still don't want to teach that forever...that's why I'm back in college again as a speech pathology student starting to work towards my 2nd Masters.

15. EZLN1

EZLN1 Companion

Oct 3, 2008

I'll give SPED a chance the next time the opportunity comes up

Today: So, the newly hired Spanish teacher QUIT! AFTER ONE DAY!She got to the school early in the morning, turned in her key, and left!

I got called in at 7:30, and got ready as fast as I could, still half asleep as I got on the bus. I knew it was going to be a long day since I was staying over at my gf's house, and had NOTHING on me with regards to lesson plans or films. The only thing that saved me was the game Taboo,and the fact that most of the kids rather enjoy it and played today.

Also, the P came in during homeroom, and was BLASTED for a good 30 minutes from upset students. They related some of the events that happened yesterday with the teacher, and were genuinely upset that they had no say in the new hiring, and the fact that they have no teacher to lead them thru the graduation portfolio process. They are already behind on things like getting on their college entrance essays.

So, I'm back for one more week. Though I usually would be utterly happy to have a guaranteed job for a week, I would rather have had the school find the "right" teacher for the school. I'm guessing there will be demo lesson plans throughout the week for the various candidates.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 3, 2008

When I get called at the last min, meaning an hr or less before school starts, I don't rush too much getting ready because I always mk it a point to let the ofc know that I was called at the last min. For all they know, I live an hr away from the school, so they have no idea how long it really takes me to get ready. That's the only situation when I can't be reprimanded for being late & I don't feel guilty for being late, but I'm never late any other time anyway.

The last time I subbed (Thurs), was for speech (LSH). I'm long-term on Tues & Thurs, hopefully for the rest of the yr. This one kid I worked w/ is an SDC student. Apparently, he has a difficult time in school (having temper tantrums, etc.) So, when I worked w/ him, he refused to do his work, so being that I only work w/ him for 30 min, I'm not going to force him, so I ignored him & worked w/ the 2 other kids I had in the grp.

Fortunately, the speech pathologist I sub for was present & she helped me deal w/ him. He went from refusing to do his work to saying he hates the work & wants to go home. The speech pathologist wanted him to go to another teacher's rm, but he wouldn't go, so she had me watch him while she left to go somewhere.

There I was alone w/ this unpredictable student. He was crying & slowly walking farther out of the rm to the end of the hall to exit another door, which went outside. Well, I wasn't about to tk his hand & pull him back in or touch him in ANY way. I just kept an eye on him as he's walking further away, hoping that another staff member will see him & help me. Eventually 2 aides took over & I went back to my rm to continue my own work.

I was told I'll never have to work w/ him anymore, so that's a relief!.

17. JadeCrane

JadeCrane Comrade

Oct 4, 2008

My suggestion is next time play SILENT charades... make silence part of the rules, if you make a peep, you loose a point, if you want to guess you must raise your hand... If the class gets loud the game is over and you will work on an essay (write the topic on the board so they know you are not full of bs) Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater - kids love rewards and will work hard to earn them... without games what else do you have a s a carrot?

I love the special ed kids. Even the ones with behavior problems because at least I know that they can't help it. I have subbed a few rooms so far that are supposed to be hard to control but I don't have a big problem with them - I am not sure why. I usually shoot a kid "the look" and he or she will stop in his or her tracks. If not - I move them. If you can't change the behavior, change the environment.

I haven't had any sped kids with big behavior problems yet though - small ones - nothing like the kid who picked my mom up once by her bra and tossed her across the room or the one that threw a medicine ball at her head. She has had some very difficult kids. I think our district places those kids out of district. Not sure.

18. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 4, 2008

I did not say the gen. ed teacher goes out to P.E. as the coach too. The school provide and pay there own coaches. The reg. teacher drops their class of with the coach or aides at ___ time everyday (same time). They have P.E. everyday. This is the Gen ed teachers planning block. I think you missunderstood me.

19. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 4, 2008

I can not do this. I only offer a game at then end of the day like the last 20mins and only if they have packed up in plenty of time. So I can't offer extra work since they are about to go home. My teachers always seem to supply more then enough work plus extra work (which is rare to use it) so we do not have to time to add a game except at the end of the day. If they get send to the office I will give them all their work for the remander of the day and include the extra work.

20. JadeCrane

JadeCrane Comrade

Oct 4, 2008

I don't understand why you can't have looseleaf handy for them to write an essay while they wait instead of playing a game (maybe I am misunderstanding?)... after all - it is meant only to be a threat - HOPEFULLY it would never come to that.

21. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 4, 2008

The reason is because they are packed and ready. Our carpool students/walkers/ and certain after school programs are already lined up at the door the ones sitting are bus and extended day. Plus there is not really much time. I do understand what you are saying though. I will just say if you misbehave no game and make them sit or stand with no talking.

22. JadeCrane

JadeCrane Comrade

Oct 4, 2008

I guess now my question is if it is THAT late in the day why on earth would the other teacher care?? Madness...

23. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 4, 2008

I don't think she cared that they were playing a game. I think she got mad because they started SCREAMING very loudly.

24. JLW

JLW Rookie

Oct 4, 2008

Friday:

7:25 AM. Arrive, bang on back door until someone opens up and put my bike in the boiler room, which has a card table in it with a half-finished game of Solitaire laid out.

I collected the materials as best I could, and found the day’s lesson plan. I then straightened the room; no clothes on the floor, no pencils or anything strewn about. I know the teacher for the class, and while a terrific human being, she is also a terrible slob, which drives me nuts.

Since I’ve had the class before, and know them to be easily distracted and ‘talkative’, i.e. constant shouting, gossip, screaming, accusations, etc. You know, all the social interactive techniques they’re learned from watching their families and neighbors interact. ‘Keneisha don spilled my trash can!” No I dint and you a LIAR!” (Crowd:) “OOOHHH! She be TREATIN you!” (Fight).

Knowing if I let them open their lift-top desks so much as once it’s all over, I set on the desks a single piece of paper and one pencil. These are our materials for the entire day, and they are NOT to crumple them up, lose them, put them in their desks, or scribble on them.

One piece of paper, one pencil. That’s it. Period.

The lone White girl entered early, and I chatted with her for a bit, and asked her how long she’d been attending the school. “All my life”, she answered, and informed me that she has been the only White kid in every one of her classes since preschool. I inquired, “How does that feel?” She made a face and replied, “It’s bogus”. I asked her if race had ever been an issue with the other kids or in making friends, and she told me, “No, it just gets kind of lonely being the only one. People joke and call you Pinky and stuff like that sometimes. They’re not trying to be mean, it’s just… you know?”

The kids entered and immediately went berserk, screaming and throwing things and slamming around. I waited. Some teachers are convinced that if you simply stand silently until someone notices you the kids will quiet down; here, this is not true. They will take your lack of action as a sign of weakness and literally riot. And by riot I mean ‘riot’. They become a mob and are totally uncontrollable. I got them seated, by individual attention and insistence, and they did it, but mostly out of habit.

First order of business was independent writing. I announced the assignment, and they discarded the paper on their desks and started slamming around, at which point I informed of the new rules for the day. I wrote the subject on the board, and insisted they write their name, the date, and their grade on their paper. They got lippy: “Ms. L don’t do that! She-“; “I’m not Ms. L. Start working”.

This created a fight with most of the class that lasted the better part of 30 minutes. At the end of it, every single kid had written at least one sentence on that paper and had their name, the date, and their grade on it. There was a lot of argument about the single sheet of paper, and I told them the last time I was there they had created so much needless chaos digging their stuff out of their desks that I chose to not trust them with this responsibility; and they were to use this single sheet of paper for the ENTIRE DAY.
    They took this as the smackdown it was; and I informed them I didn’t care.

Next up was math. I refused to allow them use of their books, and wrote each problem on the board; they wrote numbers on their sheets and answered the questions without a worksheet. They found this arrangement humiliating, and again I informed them I didn’t care: “The last time I was here, you couldn’t handle your books, your desks, or your pencils, so this is what you get until you prove to me you can handle responsibility.”

We had computers, which involved lining everyone up to walk across the hallway. My insistence on ‘no talking, no running, no pushing, no fighting, and push in your chair’ led to the class remaining in the room for 15 minutes, lining up, relining up, and then relining up again, until we got it right. The lesson on FunBrain went well, and I saw a lot of brainpower at work in the computer lab. There are some really sharp kids in that class. A girl came in from a dental appointment, having missed the first part of the day, and felt she was going to get all mouthy and misbehave until a few of the other girls informed her today was not going to be like that.

On returning to the room we did a short ‘reading’ quiz; this did not get done at all, as we spent the 20 minutes before lunch brawling again, with me insisting on the sheet of paper staying on the top of the desk. The level of fighting and my intractability led to the lineup for lunch making them 10 minutes late for lunch. “No running, no talking, no shoving, and push in your chair”.

This is where I started feeling bad. I informed them the class was a UNIT. They had to work together, and one infraction by any member of the class resulted in the ENTIRE CLASS being restricted in movement. This, I admit, is a military ‘weak link’ mentality. I was not nice to these kids. And I felt awful as I was doing it. One girl started crying, and another kid really started losing it; and I simply told them, “Look, you have to get along, act as a unit, treat each other with respect and decency, and we’ll all get what we want”.

On the way down to lunch they were like little robots. And that made me feel really bad. But I do not believe in singling out an individual for ‘punishment’. Not in a grade school. Or for that matter, anywhere else. That class is, to me, a cohesive body of people; it MUST work together, or **** well learn how, or nothing is getting done. That co-operation and self-discipline is CRITICAL. And I forced the issue. On returning from lunch we did some social studies; and it was a gym day, and after confirming everyone had their sheet of paper on their desk, we spent another 15 minutes of gym/play time lining up, relining up, and relining up again until we got it right. Again, on the way to the gym they were like soldiers and I felt awful again. Handing them over to the gym teacher I insisted on telling them, “Look, I know this morning wasn’t much fun. It’s just how it went. But after gym we’ll see what we can do about making this afternoon more fun, okay? I like you guys, all of you, and I want you to know that”.

After gym was tough. I knew I had no more stuff to withhold or deny, and my disciplinary levers were gone, and I was forced to actually engage them. I read a story from the big reading book, insisting they write quotes and sentences from the book on their sheets. But hey, I made some theater out of it, acted out some of the parts, and let them make up a rap about the story. Some of that was really good, but I had to shut it down when it got inappropriate.

After that, nearing the end of the day, we recapped the math stuff from FunBrain in answering questions from the board, 1-6. Some of the questions involved division with remainders; and since one of the story problems involved recycling cans, I asked if anyone there had recycled cans before; well, all of them had, and I used the example of going to the scrapyards around here as examples of why math is important.

I asked, “Why is learning math important?”

Kid: “…’cause it’s good to learn stuff?”

Me: “NO! So you don’t get cheated at the scrapper!”

…and I explained how it’s important to know math, otherwise how do you know you ain’t getting cheated all the time? I used the example of the visible scale and rates posted at the scrapper. You gotta add up how much weight the scale says, and figure what you’re owed; if the check or cash comes up light, you just been CHEATED. This got their attention. Ghetto people are obsessed with being cheated (mostly as they constantly ARE cheated), and I forcefully explained I wanted them, that class, to not get cheated by other people; and math is a big part of that, and they needed to pay attention and learn.

I also had the opportunity to explain the idea of incremental returns. “A guy at the scrapper lifts 50 cents out of each payment”. A kid yelled, “Fitty cent? That ain’t nothin!” To which I replied, “How many people and poundage go through XScrap every day?” He knew the answer: a lot. “So how much money this guy make in a DAY if he skim fitty cent off every body or pound load that walk through there?” After adding it up we agreed it was significant. “Now do that 6 days a week for a year.” He got the picture.

We did some more fighting nearing the end of the day; and a first-year teacher, came in, some punk White kid in hipster glasses who tried to be all tough. He came in for a math focus/support. He did something I hate: he singled out individuals for ‘punishment’ for not behaving for me. I hated him for that. He had no right to come into the class and do that.

Anyway, at the end of the day, I announced I was doing something, and demanded they stay in their seats while I collected out single sheet of paper. As I collected them, I complimented each student for something I noticed about them that day. I told them, “You have a lot of artistic talent, and I think your artwork in the hallway is amazing”; “You were quiet today, and did your work, and raised your hand to ask a question. Thank you”; “You have a lot of energy, and you talk too much, but I know you’re smart”; “I know today was tough, but I like you a lot, and I hope I get to see you again soon” etc. They were very obviously not used to that from a teacher. But I do like them, I like them all. I want them to get ahead. I want them to use their full potential and be successful and happy. That’s what I want, and I told them so.

As the class exited, four kids came back in, individually, into the room. One girl said, “Thanks for being our teacher’ and ran out; a boy told me, “I like you”; Another came back to return a pencil I’d given her and thanked me; and a Black girl, who had cried during the day, walked behind the desk…

… and hugged me.

And that I had trouble handling.

25. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 5, 2008

Oh, I know exactly what YOU said, which is why I said, "I see" to that. Since we were on the subject of PE, I was also just stating a different thing I saw being done at a district regarding PE that I had never seen before.

26. stepka

stepka Comrade

Oct 5, 2008

Mandagap, I'm not offended at all. I was just stating my experience, limited though it is. I have seen the autistic kids that have the temper tantrums, but no one ever put those kids with a sub that I've seen--they will rearrange their schedule to have someone more experienced with them at the school I've been working at. Also, I should have clarified my meaning of wandering off--I didn't even think of the mind part though. I had two kids who wandered off--one into an empty classroom, and one into the woods--and no one had warned me in advance about that, so now I just ask ahead of time. I love the autistic kids, but I don't enjoy working with them as much as some of the others, though they have the funniest little quirks sometimes. Autism is a strange disorder; they are all autistic in their own way, so it's hard to generalize. The school I've done most of my subbing at specializes in autism, so they get them from other places and work with them a lot, so their behavior may be better than schools that don't specialize.

27. EZLN1

EZLN1 Companion

Oct 6, 2008

Today was smooth

So for the next week, I have 2 freakin' assignments to cover. That's it. I have no other materials, with the real possibility of me subbing past this Friday. Because of that, I had to stretch the first one, and had the students complete it today. After weekend check ins, and a convo about what happened with the new teacher (again, who quit after 1 day), I had the students complete the handout, watching a film for the last 20 or so minutes.

When I eventually get a full time gig, I want to work at a school that has block scheduling. But it is hard when you are subbing for 100 minute blocks. You think class is close to ending, until you look up at the clock and you still got an hour left:(

28. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Oct 8, 2008

I subbed for a 3rd grade class today. I wanted to put the books down and teach these kids manners all day. I couldn't believe how rude and disrespectful they were!! This school is also located in a really nice area. I guess I naively figured the kids would be good. Just goes to show just because the school is in a "bad" area doesn't mean the kids will be "bad", or vis versa. I had one student in this class today that constantly questioned me. I just kept referring to the notes that his teacher had left me. I was starting to feel a bit down, and then the teacher nextdoor came over and asked me how my day was going. She told me this particular class is one of the worst and the reg teacher is constantly having to get at them regarding behavior. So, I realized it wasn't me. One thing I noticed today was how horrid their number writing is. Only about a handful of kids could write their numbers in a legible fashion. I think this teacher is so overwhelmed with behavior she's not getting to the core issues w/the this class. Hopefully that will change. All I know I was really happy when the final bell rang today!:whistle:

29. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 9, 2008

The only day I have worked this week was Monday. I feel lazy. I pray that I get called to work tomorrow.

30. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 9, 2008

So, I stated before that I'm on this long-term assignment 2x/wk for an elem level speech class (as in language, speech, & hearing). The lady I sub for isn't the most organized person! She has these bent papers just stuffed into the binder all upside down containing the schedule & attendance chart. She also has all the student folders in a very inconvenient place where you have to go across the rm & bend down at floor level in this drawer where she has these hanging file folders that are all ripped because they're made of paper. There's 4 teacher tables in the rm w/ some kind of papers in disarray on all of them.

I'm thinking, how can anyone work in this kind of disorganized environment!

31. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 9, 2008

I hope so too!

32. EZLN1

EZLN1 Companion

Oct 10, 2008

I really hope everyone starts getting more calls for jobs. Even though I've been subbing for 3 1/2 weeks for the same gig, I have gotten numerous calls. Those business cards pay huge dividends.

And stupid me completely forgot to make myself unavailable for this week. I was frightened today at 5am when my cell rang. I had a hard time going back to sleep.

Today was actually pretty productive, one of the few in which I actually taught some Spanish. As some of you may know, I've been offered the full time job and will formally interview and do a demo for them on Tuesday. Today kind of eased my worries about teaching, because the class went smoothly and had I done a few things, the lesson would have went even better. I realized just how far behind the classes are when we read aloud. At least 2/3 of the class had no idea what was going on as we read this rather short and simple story. The best some could do was identify words such as feliz, perro, and sol.

33. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 10, 2008

Thanks! Come to find out today is a parent/teacher conference day.
    No kids=no work for me. Then all next week is fall break! How am I supose to make any money with unneed breaks thrown in lol. When I was little I would look forward to fall break because we almost always went to the mountains somewhere. Well this time all it means is no chance to make money. I can't even go anywhere if I wanted to because 1. No money and 2. I am in a college that does not get a fall break.
    I do however have the week they come back (week after next) that Tuesday already.

34. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 10, 2008

mandagap06, aww that's a bummer about all next wk. I've never heard of any kind of week-long break in the month of Oct. What kind of school yr calendar are the schools in your area?

My schools are either yr round w/ 2-3 breaks every few mos OR the traditional system w/ school starting usually Aug 25th & ending mid-June.

For the 1st time last yr, my district had 3 wks rather than the usualy 2 wks for Christmas. I liked it, but they're returning to 2 wks this yr. I guess they were testing it to see how it worked out.

35. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 10, 2008

Yeah, Fridays are my only FREE weekday (unless I'm called to sub) & I'm loving it! I guess I still get to feel the effects as if I were at school though. There's a park behind my house & a school is on the very edge, so faintly in the distance if it's quiet, I can hear their bells ring.

36. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 11, 2008

Our area is on motified yr round...I think....not sure....pretty sure though...I grew up from 4th-12th grade in this school system and they have always had a FALL BREAK in Oct.

37. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 12, 2008

I see. I guess you'd call our fall break the last wk of November, which I call Thanksgiving vacation.

38. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 13, 2008

We have a totally different fall break(Oct.) and Thanksgiving break(Nov.). Why can't our area just have a thanksgiving break we do not need a fall break.

39. JadeCrane

JadeCrane Comrade

Oct 13, 2008

In NJ they have a teacher's conference the first week of Nov. so schools are closed that Thursday and Friday - plus many schools are closed for election day... then, they move verterans day over a day and close that Monday... so left in the middle is that lone little Wednesday, LOL... needless to say MANY children miss that day as well... Disney World is full of folks from NJ that week, LOL!

40. stepka

stepka Comrade

Oct 13, 2008

A good thing that happened to me today: last year when I was subbing at my kids' school, I had a boy that I referred to as "sub's worst nightmare." Well today he was delightful and charming and polite--they do grow up sometimes.