References

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ShadesofGray, Aug 18, 2009.

1. ShadesofGray

ShadesofGray Companion

Aug 18, 2009

I know this will sound crazy, but I know at the end of the resume you always find "references available upon request."

I have never been actually asked for references, but how do you list them? Is there a certain format you use? Do you keep a copy of your references when you go on interviews just in case they are requested?

I usually have my references listed and kept in the very back of my portfolio, just in case I am asked, but I was wondering how others approach this!

3. SuperSide

SuperSide Rookie

Aug 18, 2009

There seems to be a consensus that you do not need to write
    "references available upon request". This might still be acceptable for entry level positions, but you really don't need to say that since everyone will ask you for references. It is just assumed.

Bring references, if they ask, provide them.

Don't send references with your resume unless you are asked.

4. ShadesofGray

ShadesofGray Companion

Aug 18, 2009

I have it at the bottom of my resume, but have never been asked for them. I was just looking for some sort of format, or how others list theirs.

I don't send them, I just keep a list of them when I go on interviews in the back of my portfolio just in case.

5. SuperSide

SuperSide Rookie

Aug 18, 2009

If an interviewer doesn't ask for my reference either two things are happening.

You could be in a series of interviews, where the first interview is just a getting to know you phase. After they have made a shortlist you will be called back for a more detailed interview, at which point you should be asked to provide references.

If this is not the case, then they probably aren't going to be considering you for the interview. It's a sign they aren't interested. That's the way I read it anyway.

6. ShadesofGray

ShadesofGray Companion

Aug 18, 2009

Not to be rude, but I am aware of that. I just started this post to find out about how people do their references for when the time arises that I am asked for them.

7. SuperSide

SuperSide Rookie

Aug 18, 2009

I list my references in a Word document.

I copy and paste the personal information from my resume to reference list to ensure consistency.

I put references on a table to keep them organized.

Behind that sheet I have a few letters of references paper-clipped.

I keep those sheet with the extra resumes I bring to an interview.

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2009

It may be that it's done differently here in CA, but here, we submit references only if it is asked. Sometimes it is when we are first applying for a job, or later, after an interview.

Actually, resumes, at least for a teaching job, do not necessarily have this phrase at the end of a resume anymore.

BTW: this is the format we do it in:

Name:
    Title:
    Organization/Company:
    Street Address:
    City:
    State/Zip Code:
    Phone: (I tend to give their home phone number)
    Email Address:

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2009

Most places (probably more than 90%) that I apply to have an application that needs to be filled out that ha a section where you list references. The places where I just submit a cover letter and resume I tend to not give references unless it asks for a reference listing then I have a list of references that I'll send along. I also always bring that list to an interview in case they want them. I don't have references anywhere on my resume

10. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 19, 2009

My references are included in my 2 page resume. It worked for me. It looks something like:

References:
    John G. Smith Principal, Great Elementary, Fargo, ND
    212 Sunny St.
    Fargo, ND 74893
    Phone #
    Email Address

Repeat with another reference

I always provide references because my references were called twice before I had an interview. And yes, the references are online in my application. But principals often don't have that info in front of them. They do have my resume. I want to make it as easy as possible for them.

It worked for me. But your way sounds good too. I am not sure what the norm would be. But who said I was normal anyway?

11. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 19, 2009

90% of the districts around me use an online application that includes a references section. Like Jessica said, Since anyone who interviews me already HAS access to that info on the application anyway, I don't put it on my resume. I always have my portfolio with recommendation letters, and can get them different references if needed (someone on my list is out of town or whatever), but haven't handed them a list more than once or twice in the past several years.

12. GG Fan

GG Fan Rookie

Aug 19, 2009

I always include a separate page (on matching resume paper) with my references addresses and phone numbers.

13. ShadesofGray

ShadesofGray Companion

Aug 19, 2009

Thanks everyone. I guess it's different because most places I have had interviews for have been from strictly mailing them my resume and cover letter. Right now I have it sent up on matching resume paper with my reference's names, positions, phone numbers, and emails. I guess I'll just keep it that way. I just didn't know if there was a better way.

14. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Aug 20, 2009

Like others have said, it all depends on your preferences and the schools you are applying to.

Personally, I included a reference sheet on all of the packets I mailed out. I provided 4 references to each school. I guess I figured that if it came down to the wire, they could always contact my references whereas others who didn't include them wouldn't have that opportunity. I thought of it as just one more thing that MIGHT help me get the job over another.

I would also add that you need to be 100% sure of your references. If you haven't spoken with them in awhile, you might want to send a quick note or email letting them know what you've been up to lately and some of the areas you're applying to.