References??

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Exclaimation Po, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Aug 1, 2007

How many references should I have? EdJoin only lists spots for 3 references, but I'm making up a list to hand to people. I have 4 people as references. Is that enough?

3. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Aug 1, 2007

I made sure I had three letters of recommendation and then I have a list of about 9 references.

4. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

I have at least 6 references to choose from. I always give 1 or 2 over the amount being requested. I don't want to give them overkill, but in case they have a problem reaching someone they can move further down the list. :)

5. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Aug 2, 2007

I noticed that with EdJoin when I was applying. It is a little annoying. I just listed my three "best" and most recent ones. I think three references is enough and seems to be standard.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  6. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2007

Yes, and it is really good to have copies of reference letters (with phone numbers) already in hand, as part of your portfolio.

Then when you are filling out forms, you have all your info.

Usually they ask for 1 business/former employer and two personal. I try to keep at least 2 extra, just in case they call and my top 3 are not answering!!!

7. Deb06

Deb06 Companion

Aug 2, 2007

I had four references and six letters of recommendation.

8. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Aug 2, 2007

Actually, I have 4 letters of recommendation (3 teachers and one principal) in my portfolio. My list of 4 references are not the same as my letters. So, all total I guess I have 8 references plus my last principal (who didn't ask me back, but said I could use her as a reference - yeah right!).

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  9. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2007

My last principal wrote a letter goofy letter along the lines of, "I would recommend her, but she will make a great teacher with more training." Wow! Thanks!!! :confused:

I know they are not supposed to say anything negative, but if you put their numbers down, other schools will call. I use references that will only give me positive praise!

One so-called friend actually told a potential employer , "Well, I don't know if she would be a good candidate." I called around, and she admitted it was her! I said "Why in the world would you say that!? :confused: She says, "Sometimes, you are a little down, and you don't smile much you know." What!!! That's because I was really frustrated and wanted to leave that lousy job! Boy, did I learn the hard way about not picking just anyone for a reference!!! :eek:

Another teacher said she would be glad to write me a reference letter. Then a few days later when I asked her about it again, she said, "I was told that it was not a good idea to do that."

Two months later, she was looking for a job herself, and saw me on the street. "Girl, I am so sorry I didn't write that letter for you! That person did me so wrong, and now I see exactly what was going on!" Hmmmm... yeah, right!!!

A teacher I met during new teacher orientation, became an instant friend, and she helped me a lot along the way. I invited her to my wedding! I was out of town, and none of my close family or friends could make it (I was renewing my vows, so I was okay with that)

After I my principal did not renew my contract, I decided to call her my friend. I called her and she just hung up. I tried this three times, and got the same result. Then she called me back and said, "Yes, I just got a call from this number and I was wondering who it was." I said, "Hey, it's me, I've been trying to call you and...

She said, "Oh, I see, I was informed it was best that I did not talk to you" Click.

I tell you, when some people are more worried about their own job, than even attempting to keep a friendship, that just hurts me.

Because it is a small world, and you never know what could happen.

10. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Aug 3, 2007

Don't worry, what goes around comes back around to those people!

11. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2007

thanks! I try not to dwell on it..

but figured this was a good place to share... :love:

12. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Aug 3, 2007

Master Pre-K so, are all those knives still in your back from when you were stabbed, or did you have them removed? :wow: Honestly, there's no reason for people to be that catty. :eek:

13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2007

Yeah, I learned to live and let live..and let go..so I can move on!

I think the principals set up a lynch mob, and told everyone to stay away from teachers who were on the 'do not renew contract' list.

I actually saw one of those principals in church. She said in so many words, "Forgive me, I know I did not handle things right with you." And I told, her I had already forgave her!

I was an aide for two years in that school. She became upset when somebody told me I should get sub pay when covering classes! I asked her and she said no. So I talked to the supt. he said yes! And after that I was getting two checks each payday!! Also, she was trying to scam by getting me to serve as classroom aide and special ed aide! Wow, I should get three checks!!! This is when I started learning more about special ed, and IEPs. In the end, I knew it was a sign for me to find a teaching position. So, it was time for me to move on.

Knives are gone...no bruises..:rolleyes: