references???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mom2teach, Jul 9, 2013.

1. mom2teach

mom2teach Rookie

Jul 9, 2013

Hey. I'd like to get opinions on references. I have been home for the last 15 years and have no refrences from then, and even if I did they seem a little irrelevant.

The districts I am to request to list 3 professional references, but do not ask for letters. I have subbed the last year, but couldnt do interms because I was getting my license together.

So here are the 3 people I list...they are all principals where I subbed the last year...but none of them ever saw me teach.

Principal 1...principal at my sons school where I am VP of the PTO

principal 2...principal at my kids ms where I subbed the most

principal 3... also a member of our church

finally, how do you get professional references when you have been out of the field for 15 years?

Thanks!
    Jen

3. Oregon Teacher

Oregon Teacher Rookie

Jul 9, 2013

I'm in a similar position, returning to teaching after raising my kids for the last eleven years. I've also had a hard time coming up with references, most of the references that I have are from people I have worked under as a volunteer with organizations like Girl Scouts. It's not ideal, but its the best I can do for now. I haven't had any job offers yet, but I have had several interviews, so hopefully it will work out.

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2013

The Ps from where you subbed may be your best bet unless you've done any other professional stuff outside of subbing. Give it a try. If it doesn't work out this year, maybe do some volunteering in your kids' classes is you can so you can list the teachers next year? :)

5. Goingback

Goingback Rookie

Jul 24, 2013

Hey, just wanted to give you some hope!! I also stayed home with my kids for 12 years. I began my adventure back into teaching by taking a very part-time after school tutoring job (5 hours/week) which helped with getting professional references. The principal of my kids school then offered me daytime tutoring for the 2nd semester which I gladly accepted. I also volunteered at after school activities and during school hours when I wasn't working. I made myself very visible. She then asked/insisted I take a LTS position, it was out of my area of certification but I took it. I then LTS for her for 3 months in another position before a teacher retired and I was hired in that position.

I am now starting my 3rd year back full time. I think making those connections back into education and showing dedication and willingness to work hard are what made the difference. Good luck with everything....I know how scary it is to try and restart a career but it is so worth it.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 24, 2013

When I made the leap from subbing to full-time work, my top reference was the principal at the main school where I subbed. He never saw me teach. However, he talked with the teachers with whom I worked, and he talked with me during lunch on multiple occasions. He was honest that his district doesn't hire their subs but offered to help me in any way. If you have that kind of rapport with any of your principals, you'll be fine.