References

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by SunnyReader, Mar 18, 2010.

1. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Mar 18, 2010

I went to an first round interview and at the end they asked for 3 references, including a current principal. I do not feel comfortable telling my current principal I am leaving, if this is not a sure thing.

What should I do.

3. 12Souza

12Souza Rookie

Mar 19, 2010

People come and go all the time, I am sure you're not the first one to leave the school to go to another.

4. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Mar 19, 2010

If it is a first round interview, it is highly unlikely they would call your references. Is the reason you're leaving in the first place because you do not like your principal?

5. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Mar 19, 2010

No, I am leaving to work closer to home. But if I do not get this job, I do not want to lose my job.

I think it is unreasonable to ask to have my principals number before doing a demo lesson. I sent them 2 references already, and they called! So if I give them the principal they will definitely call.

6. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Mar 19, 2010

Oh OK. I'm guessing you're not a tenured teacher and haven't been offered a contract yet for next year? If you have a good rapport with your principal, I would have to be honest with him or her. He or she is not going to hold it against you if you are looking for closer employment to home. Just say how much you love working at his or her school, but that this year you want to test the waters to see if you can get a position somewhere closer to home. Say that if nothing happens, you would still be very happy to be part of his/her team next year.

Remember, principals want people that want to work for them, so if you're honest and upfront about the situation, they will put in a good word for you. Wanting to work closer to home is a completely legitimate reason for possibly leaving.