References on Resume or no?

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by MsTeacher1975, Jul 17, 2006.

1. MsTeacher1975

MsTeacher1975 Rookie

Jul 17, 2006

Would it be better to put the references right on resume or have them on separate page??

3. DotyMath

DotyMath Rookie

Jul 17, 2006

I have always heard not to make your resume longer than a page.
    I listed one reference on my resume, my last principal, and then indicated that other references were available upon request.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 17, 2006

My resume spilled on to a 2nd page, but the 2nd page looked really short, so I added my references right on that page. Some people have been appreciative that they're right at their fingertips, even though it's a re-hash of what's on the application.

5. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 17, 2006

I have mine separated. Most applications request you list them there. When I got to my interviews the first thing I did was ask them if they would like a fresh copy of my resume and references.

6. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

Jul 17, 2006

I was told that references attached to resume were preferred... Principals that have to contact you to request references is an extra step for them that they don't really want to take (or have the time for). I also heard that educators are not expected to be able to cram everything onto one page anymore... as long as the information is related to education I think it is okay to go over a page. Don't go to more than one page just to put jobs that have nothing to do with working w/children or educating someone. My resume takes up one full page (I didn't include my job working at a deli) and then spills onto the second page w/volunteer information (b/c all involve working w/children) and my list of 5 references w/all of their information.

7. heatherleigh

heatherleigh Companion

Jul 17, 2006

i along with sarah have a two paged resume. since i have only one year of experience i feel that it's important to include my student teaching and other relevant experience i have working with children. i think as long as it is recent and relevant most people say for an ed. resume two pages is ok. i also have my list of references on a seperate page to send with my resume. i feel that it looks more organized that way and i have it set up so that there is a matching letterhead with my contact info so that they kind of match.

8. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 18, 2006

I have a 2 page resume too! I don't think it can be any longer than that. If your second page is light, add the workshops you've attended.

9. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2006

It's always been acceptable here to put References upon request.