Reference Request Autoreply

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by redtop, May 21, 2013.

1. redtop

redtop Companion

May 21, 2013

While I hope we may be far enough along that it doesn't matter, my wife and I are taking a different approach to references.

Schools keep writing to her references before even contacting her. That may be the best and most efficient thing for them, but it's not for her. She winds up with vice-principals and department heads who get deluged with requests that they fill out forms and write letters for jobs she's not even that interested in, and in some cases from schools that aren't that interested in her.

It's not just a matter of courtesy, it's a matter of efficiency. We have probably blown our "resevoir of goodwill" for this year, although if a job she really wanted came along, she might be able to lean on these people one more time.

For the references phone number, I am giving her phone number. For their email, I am giving a gmail address that we've set up. If they contact her "references" as the first stage of the process, they will either get my wife or her email, and we will tell them we're not giving reference information until later in the process. If they don't like it, too darn bad. We're not going to blow a chance with a school she really likes over a school she's lukewarm on.

This may be a situation somewhat unique to her situation. I don't know how many jobs people here apply for, and people in Canada generally aren't as open or generous with their time as in the USA. Anyway, this isn't a matter of arrogance, it's a matter of necessity. If every school you applied to insisted that, before anyone even looked at your application, you had to have a two-hour conversation with a secretary to verify all your information and it had to be at the precise time they wanted, you'd soon realize that you don't have enough time to take off from class and that schools expecting that would just have to do without your services. We're in the same position.

I'd appreciate help editing the autoreply on the email address, to give the most positive spin on why we're doing it this way.

Bear in mind that all the references will have the same email address, but if it actually goes out without anyone noticing, it will mean that it's being done automatically by the system, which in turn means that they aren't serious and are probably doing this before a human has ever looked at her file.

I'll repeat - that I know this isn't the most efficient for the schools. Of course they would like to get as much information about her before they waste their valuable time interviewing her, especially if they can do so with no cost or obligation to themselves. But just because we want something doesn't mean we're entitled to it, especially if it inconvenices others.

Thank you for requesting my references.

The individuals listed as references have generously agreed to give of their time to provide references on my background and professional skills to prospective employers. In consideration of the impostion on their time this represents, I will only ask that they do so for prospective employers whom I have spoken with and where there is sincere mutual interest to proceed further. To do otherwise is unfair to them.

If you are receiving this message, please contact me directly and I will be pleased to provide the contact information for my references if we have reached the appropriate stage of the interviewing and employment process.

Sincerely,

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 21, 2013

You seriously crack me up!

4. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

May 21, 2013

Why not stop beating around the bush and just tell them directly:

"I don't have time for you and your job. Please check someone else's references instead."

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

May 21, 2013

If I was a school and got that, the resume would be moved straight to the reject pile.

Why is your wife applying for jobs she's not truly interested in?

My references did every single online thing for me. I had 7 references so I rotated my "top 3" who would fill out those.

6. redtop

redtop Companion

May 21, 2013

First of all, I have not seen any applications that say "As soon as you click 'submit' we are going to send an email to your references." Providing that information is not the same as giving them permission to use it when they're not even serious.

Second, I'm pleased for those of you who have the ability to call on an essentially unlimited number of references. We might have if we had managed the process better in the earlier stages. Maybe we screwed up by applying for jobs she was not overly enthusiastic about.

Third, be real. There are girls you would take to Hawaii on a first date, and girls you'd take to TGI Friday's. Not all prospective matches are created equal.

If the school wants to move the resume to the reject pile, fine.

Each time her references get pinged, it represents a certain expenditure of "political capital" for her - a certain scope of favors she's called in and can't us again. I think it's fine for us to say we will only apply to some places if we don't have to spend that political capital.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 21, 2013

Man, your wife just needs to suck it up and play the game. Did she approve of this plan of yours?

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 21, 2013

I've never had that happen to me. The last job that I applied for (and got) didn't ask for references until I got to the interview. Then, the same day, they called my references right before they made me an offer. I just never thought they would bother with references unless they were to the point of wanting to hire someone.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 21, 2013

Why is 'your wife' applying to jobs that don't interest her?

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

May 21, 2013

For what it's worth, the job I have now, they contacted references first to see if they even wanted to interview.

11. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

May 21, 2013

I've been in the game for three years now and off the top of my head I have at least 14 people I could count on (let's say with a 90% confidence interval) to provide a reference for me. Your wife could surely find a few more if she's truly afraid her current choices are getting annoyed with her.

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 21, 2013

Redtop...You(r wife) is realizing that districts play the same game you are playing. However, they have played it much longer than you...and apparently with much more success.

For the few applicants like you(r wife) who refuse to abide by their rules...there are hundreds of other applicants who will do what it takes...and those are the applicants who get the jobs.

Good luck with the job search...and I am being amused by your stories.

13. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

May 21, 2013

Hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahzhahahahahahahahahahhabhahahahahahahahah

Oh red, is Milsey your wife?

14. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

May 21, 2013

Well I'm not in Canada, but I sure hope the climate and cultural norms up there are more laid back than in the USA...I am pretty sure that would warrant an automatic "reject" here.

15. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

May 21, 2013

HAH!

16. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 21, 2013

Your wife is NOT going to get a job this way. Might as well give up now, save all the time and effort, because it's not going to pay off. I'm usually not a Negative Nelly, but your methods are ridiculous.

17. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 21, 2013

I agree...

18. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 21, 2013

Favorite reply of the year :spitwater:

19. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

May 22, 2013

I am in Canada, and it would get the automatic reject here too.

20. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

May 22, 2013

I really think that your wife's biggest hurdle in navigating the job hunt might not be her location...

You are seriously hurting her chances of gaining employment by doing this. I am sure the other applicants are grateful, though, lol.

21. Rbart

Rbart Companion

May 22, 2013

I really don't think the auto-reply email is a good idea. I think you may just want to leave the email addresses off? or if there is a way to apply and not add the references.

I just recently experienced the the auto-reply reference check, I was so excited! All my references were texting me telling me they filled out a reference check for a certain school. I didn't realize that it was automatic, I thought the school was actually interested in me. I can see how this would annoy references if they had to do it for every application I filled out. (which is a lot) And what happens if they don't fill out the form or it goes to the spam folder?

Can someone please tell me how they how so many professional references I am curious. I personally only have 4 professional and 5 character references. I am sure I can get more character references but I have only done student teaching and one LTS.

22. MzQualified

MzQualified Comrade

May 22, 2013

Wow....just WOW! :lol:

23. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 22, 2013

In our area, the administration will contact references of only the top ten or so applicants. If they contacted an email/phone number and found out it was you, your application would be trash.

24. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

May 22, 2013

I would treat carefully when messing with the reference system for fear of it completely backfiring on you. I know here they do it two different ways....some counties send an email out to your references to have them fill out a quick form and then once it's done it is good for any job you apply for in the district for as long as your application stays active. The other way is that they contact references for the top candidates right before making offers.

I am with the above poster. In my area, if an employer were to find out you were the reference contact then your file would go in the trash. I honestly have never had a reference complain over having to fill out those forms, esp if they are the quick online ones!

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 22, 2013

Agreed...this idea coupled with the notion of getting multiple cell phone numbers so schools think his wife is 'local' do not send the impression of integrity and honesty.:2cents: