REFERENCE QUESTION!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by atxteacher, Jul 18, 2014.

1. atxteacher

atxteacher Rookie

Jul 18, 2014

I am currently applying for teaching jobs and have run into a little speed bump. They are asking for three references, I have three.. 2 of them are related to teaching and one is my current supervisor who is not related to teaching. My problem is..

The two references are my student cooperative teacher and the university mentor. During my student teaching time I was not in the same place maturity wise as I am now (this happened two years ago) I also did not have the greatest relationship with my cooperative teacher. We got along and she liked me.. I just do not feel like she cared to help me improve. We would leave school every day at 3:15 because she had two kids who had things to do after school, I had to seek out the other first grade teachers for advice etc. I was learning how to manage my time and sometimes lesson plans were not turned in on time (my fault, I should have taken it more serious than i did) I have read over the university mentors notes and she says I need to learn to plan better, and have the potential to be a phenomenal teacher.

My question is.. because these are not the strongest of references and the only two I have in the teaching field... does that hinder me? I worry.. I emailed the university mentor asking her to be a reference and she replied saying "Yes, I will be very honest about my evaluation of you as a student teacher" Does not sound the greatest... What to do??

:unsure::confused:

3. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jul 18, 2014

Talk to them. If you feel they will not provide a positive reference, look elsewhere.

Even if you have to ask someone you took classes with. I have known people who have done this and gotten hired.

Otherwise, find a volunteer teaching gig and get a reference there.

4. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jul 18, 2014

I doubt they would give you a bad reference. If you did so bad, it reflects on them because they were supposed to be your guides and mentors for teaching.

5. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 18, 2014

Maybe she met it like I will be honest about my evaluation of you and how awesome you were as a student teacher! Sometimes they forget we need a little sugar coating!!