Reference policy woes

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by texashistory, Aug 17, 2014.

1. texashistory

texashistory Rookie

Aug 17, 2014

Education is different but in a lot of fields companies have adopted and strict to semi strict no reference policy as in details about the employee other than salary and date hired and verbatim resume type of stuff.

I do remember my boss telling me at my old job that she doesn't give reference other than just what I mentioned above and that before our company she works in the O&G field and that was th epolicy she's always known.

I know society today is ligation happy so I can understand that. I get it I really do but I'm pretty much done except for my references. My old boss still has it pending and my current 2 supervisors. I looked through my employee handbook and I never noticed the reference part until last night but our HR outsourcing company handles references other than basic salary, start started, etc and if we want more than that to call the HR hotline :eek:

I thought I was freaking out of the fingerprinting which was easy peasy but now I'm freaked out. Do I fear a bad reference?

Absolutely not. I just worry about them dragging their feet. I haven't been to new teacher orientation and professional development starts tomorrow and I haven't seen my classroom (I do get the impression I have the very basics and will have to add a lot) so I need to be "complete" so I can attend development this week and get my classroom ready.

I do have a vague recollection of a staff training a year ago with someone from HR coming and another employee mentioning someone who didn't work there anymore and a reference. I know I won't get a bad reference but it's a survey and I just need it done like tomorrow.

I plan on talking to my supervisors tomorrow with my notice and about the reference and if they adhere to the survey reference policy driving to the HR company and camping in the lobby until 6 if need be until I can speak to someone to get those 2 references done all the while calling and emailing my old boss to see what she can do about her reference.

1. I KNOW for a fact 2 people. One at my old job and 1 at my current who went on to teaching in a district so I know the survey references which seem Texas standard have been done by them but I do think they had more time and timing is just unfortunate.

2. I'm just freaking out because I'm done. My principal wanted me to start Friday so everything is a go there but the formalities of having the references "returned" vs still "pending"

3. Alternatives are not options. References surveys must be current and former supervisors who oversaw my work. Coworkers aren't options and I wouldn't want to put them in a position like that that could possibly jeopardize them.

:help:

I feel so good about everything. This job, the school, admin, just everything but the details get be uptight. I want to say it'll be fine just like the fingerprinting was but the having to jump through hoops/saying we don't give "references" but employee verification info has me :unsure: and upset

3. texashistory

texashistory Rookie

Aug 17, 2014

No one? Out of 28 views?

I've searched the archives of threads and most are moving around in education so recommendation letters and such are common and already in possession.

I have yet to find anything similar to this so I'm at a loss on information

Input and comments would be nice and appreciated after all the views since people are obviously curious :)

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2014

OK, if all they are going to do is give limited info, be a little bit more direct, if you are comfortable, or become a little bit of a nudge or squeaky wheel. It can never hurt to be extremely charming when you call "to see if there is anyway they were able to get to it". Tell them you know it is a pain, but the district needs the survey, not just reference letters. Good luck.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2014

For future reference (yes, pun intended), when you work with someone long enough who you believe would be an excellent reference, at some point ask if they would be willing to write a reference letter for you. I have a LOR folder on my computer that I can quickly access should I be floating an application out there. Save them in PDF format and they are easy to plug in to most online applications. You may want to consider returning the favor. A well crafted LOR is harder to write, and I can understand those taking time. Your surveys are more like verification of employment?

6. tired.mom

tired.mom Companion

Aug 17, 2014

Are these the electronic reference email/surveys that are sent out via application systems such as AppliTrack? If so, maybe shoot a quick email to the person you listed and ask them if they've gotten the link, and if so, to please respond. Leave it at that; some people will respond, others won't even if you know them very well. Not sure as to why, but that's the way that it is.

The school district won't attempt to just call someone, to at least verify you exist? I find it kind of strange that an offer of employment hinges on someone else's behavior (i.e. returning a reference). I wish you the best; I know it is frustrating and adding stress to an already anxious situation.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 17, 2014

Lots of districts in Texas want their particular form completed or phone call made. I have LOR but they won't count as official references in the hiring process at the districts I have worked in, but I think they do help me get interviews/offers so it doesn't hurt to have them.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2014

I know that some states are into the survey thing, but they never hurt to be included on things like applitrack. I understand that the "official" survey is needed, but LOR's are great for that initial contact, just as you mentioned. As an aside, OP might want to ask HR to check their spam folders - a lot of those things get shunted into there!

9. teachart

teachart Comrade

Aug 17, 2014

Do they have to be from supervisors?

I stopped listing my Principal as a reference and started getting job offers. A friend asked someone in our undergraduate cohort to be a reference and he got the job (Colorado.)

My Principal flat out told me that she would not recommend me to any position nor write me a LOR. Of course, when I was turning in my keys she hugged me and said "You know it would've worked out if you had stayed here, right? I'm going to miss you!"

I'm sure it will work out!

10. texashistory

texashistory Rookie

Aug 17, 2014

Yes the applitrack insta email survey thing set out. You're in Texas so you're familiar with this song and dance.

I spoke to my HR at my district on Friday and she personally emailed each of my references to reiterate that they need the references so I they can complete my file so I can attend professional development this week and my principal so she's in the know that they're waiting on the references

11. tired.mom

tired.mom Companion

Aug 17, 2014

One of my professors who just thought I hung the moon never returns those reference requests, lol, even after she said she'd be honored to be one of my references. I love her to death, but I know from having her for several grad classes, she is scattered and disorganized. :lol: I think the other two or three I use routinely respond, so it's never come up. ("response received" shows up on AppliTrack, under the reference section for the ones who responded. I list my prior supervisors under employment history, so those are in a different section...and I don't know if/how they contact those persons.)

I wish you luck. I have often wondered what my last school says about me, as I quit to finish grad school. I didn't do anything wrong, but I think there is always that wonder of the unknown.

And on that note, the entire job hunting process tends to make one a bit nuts. That is all.

12. texashistory

texashistory Rookie

Aug 18, 2014

So professional development started today and I can't report to my campus until my references are "received" I emailed one and talked to another and so did HR and at this point HR said as long as they get some kind of response even a texashistory worked here from X to Z then I'm a go because said references would be "received"

This waiting is just *sigh* I'm ready to go and everything is done except for the formalities.

I almost want to send them my check stubs or something as "confirmation" that yes I worked here and there from X to Z as seen by being paid from here to here.

HR told me today all is good but to just wait and relax but I just want to set up my room, get a good relationship going with my paras, the school, just everyone and everything :(

13. texashistory

texashistory Rookie

Aug 19, 2014

I hate being pushy but now I'm getting a combination of really sad and just plain mad.

I emailed my old job Sunday night and then called yesterday early like 10am and left a message for a call back and got nothing back. I do understand being busy but between 8-6 when you're not directly working with the kids you're at the computer checking emails and such so to not even type the word hello and send as some kind of response just makes me sad and mad. I left on good terms with them taking a job closer to home so I don't understand this.

I checked and I know this week is busy but still. She stays in her office on the computer so I know she's checked her email and saw mine and got my message from the front desk. Front desk put me on hold to go see if she was available and gave my name.

I'm tempted to drive over there but I worry that would do more harm then good. But I mean I KNOW she's alive but no response you'd think she does exist anymore or something :unsure: :(

14. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Aug 19, 2014

I don't think I'd be against driving there texashistory. A little stalkerish, but she is doing you a huge disservice right now and seems like she's being lazy. Doesn't HR understand how important it is for you to be in your new school right now? I don't get why they wouldn't just say get started and let it go!

If it makes you feel any better I feel frustrated for you! Reading this all the way in PA got me annoyed! I hope it all works out for you!!!

15. texashistory

texashistory Rookie

Aug 19, 2014

:hugs: Thanks!

I went to HR yesterday then spoke on the phone and they told me not to go over there as to not seem pushy because they'd emailed, I'd emailed and I called.

Why I can't go to professional development until "my file is complete" I have no idea but district policy. While at HR yesterday I overheard another HR director telling someone over the phone "you're file is complete so you can now report to your campus for development" so that's the standard.

They know I need to be there and said as much in emails but alas nothing.

I get emotional when frazzled and if everything finally comes to pass and I get one day or development and room set up I know I'll cry because I like my things complete and in order and I just fear I'll have nothing in my room and it'll just be a disaster.

Meet the teacher is Thursday so I guess I can't even do that if "my file isn't complete" shoot I'm already crying as is.

:(