reference letters

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by PreKyay, Mar 25, 2009.

1. PreKyay

PreKyay Companion

Mar 25, 2009

What is the best way to not "wear out" your references? I am applying at several different districts and am using the same references. Should I just have them send me a general letter "to whom it may concern" and just make copies? Or is it more professional to have each letter addressing the individual super/principal?

3. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 25, 2009

I always used a general letter and made copies. Otherwise it gets to be very time-consuming for the person and a hassle for you to have to get it all the time. :)

4. PreKyay

PreKyay Companion

Mar 25, 2009

I thought so, too. Thanks for the feedback!:)

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 25, 2009

No problem! Good luck with everything! :)

6. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Mar 25, 2009

I do the same. However, I suggest that you have them copy the letter for you with the coloured letterhead.

7. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Mar 25, 2009

I always ask for them to sign three copies. That way I have backup originals. And I have had one place require an original. So, now I'm down to two.

8. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Mar 26, 2009

I am wondering about this also--all the school districts here insist on their own online forms, so getting advance letters is not possible. I am starting to feel guilty pestering my busy professors with this stuff. They have already done this for three schools, in addition to two grad schools.

9. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 26, 2009

Certainly... I never trouble my letter of recommendation people. Never want to TIRE them out!

One titled her letter "A Letter of Recommendation for McKenna L"
    Another wrote theirs "To Whom it may Concern,"
    The third...is actually my University Supervisor's final evaluation and notes (The supervisors told us.."that IS your letter of recommendation from us. Don't expect or ask for more-we simply don't have the time to write each of you a letter-let alone several.")

All three (well, four) KNOW that I am job hunting- and know that they may be called at any time by potential employers. (I keep in touch with all of them, so they know what I am doing...and so there is no way for them to forget me. Instant death-A reference who has to be reminded who you are.)

But as for having them write you letter upon letter addressed to specific employers? NO. It's not neccessary. (If I were them...that WOULD tire me out..AND annoy me!)

I have those three letters (the originals tucked away safely) and have made perfect colored copies of them for my portfolio..and crystal clear file-copies for adding to on-line applications. I also have all of my references - those and a few others (most employers only ask for three, but i have a few back-up names) on a list with full names, positions, addresses, phone numbers and e-mail addresses that goes along in my packet- as an additional page to my resume.

I appreciate how thorough you are trying to be (new letters for every application), but no-one expects it... so you are wearing both you and the letter-writers out when you don't have to.

If I need to send them in-in addition to those above (and I never have had to yet- that's not how it's done here- I would pull out the originals and make more clean copies of them. I don't believe principals EVER insist on letters that MUST be addressed specifically to THEM.

10. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 26, 2009

Oh, if someplace required an orignal, i would drive the original over there with a copy of it. Like: "Here's the original... see, now here is a copy of it for you."

But I've NEVER been asked for that.

11. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Mar 26, 2009

So all these online reference forms are NOT the norm? It is getting to the point that I am hesitant to apply for more jobs now because I will need more references. I feel I need to space them all way out.

They all say that you may include written letters, but that those are not considered a substitute for the required forms. These forms have boxes to check off, rankings from 1-5 and questions to answer.

I am really starting to feel horrible about it. Every district here seems to have their own version.