Reference checks

Discussion in 'General Education' started by REW, Feb 11, 2020.

1. REW

REW Rookie

Feb 11, 2020

Hello-
    This is kind of a loaded question. My current employment is extremely toxic. I’ve dealt with verbal harassment from coworkers and a boss who constantly is passive aggressive (has called me names). Im not located in a public school, but teach for a public program.

I do NOT want a new employer to contact them. howeVer, I’m told they will be contacted. So I need to give them a heads up. How do I do this and not rock the boat even more? I wasn’t going to say anything until I had a written offer.

How do I navigate this? I have heard, even people they don’t like they’ll give negative reviews (ie: say you aren’t eligible for rehire) to block future employment. Of course, I have had plenty of coworkers move on. They did not have to undergo the reference check that I will undergo. I have glowing reviews from everyone except my boss.

3. REW

REW Rookie

Feb 11, 2020

I am also concerned about the message I’m sending by leaving at this point in the school year from my current position. I feel like I’m abandoning my students even though it’s what’s best for me.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2020

I believe you have hit the nail on the head.

5. REW

REW Rookie

Feb 11, 2020

That I should tough It out in a toxic situation or do what’s right for me?

6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Feb 11, 2020

Do you have an AP or instructional coach who is on a supervisory position that’s not the principal? Perhaps they would be kinder.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2020

Moving on mid-year doesn't look great. Your new employer will probably take the timing with a grain of salt should the recommendation be less than stellar. How long have you been teaching over-all? I would add good references from better placements.

8. REW

REW Rookie

Feb 12, 2020

I have a letter of recommendation from my former principal (she left earlier this year). She also filled out the reference check the application. I have others I can include if needed. I have wonderful reviews on all of my evaluations and more. I just don’t trust my current boss. I know people who have worked for her. She doesn’t say anything illegal, but she does toe the line. Ie: saying people aren’t eligible for rehire when they are eligible.

9. REW

REW Rookie

Feb 12, 2020

I’ve been teaching over ten years, but only a few with my teaching license. I hope so. I’ve been trying really hard to just deal with the issues. It has just gotten to a point where my own well being is at stake.