Reducing Callouts

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by EmptyClassroom, Mar 21, 2011.

1. EmptyClassroom

EmptyClassroom Rookie

Mar 21, 2011

I teach self-contained high school reading (at the moment). We just rotated classes and I have two students in different classes--one I've had before and one I haven't--who demonstrate an unreasonable amount of callouts per period. In the hour and a half I have them for reading one (sophomore male) called out 42 times and the other (freshman female) 57. Mind you, I would normally have put a stop to it before those outrageous numbers were reached, but I wanted a valid baseline.

I need some behavior modification strategies that are age-appropriate. One student is SLD w/ bipolar, and the other is MMD w/ no attention problems (supposedly). The handout I'm giving them tomorrow offers the following tips for reducing their callouts, but I want to give them several options to choose from so I'd appreciate any suggestions you can give me!

*Traffic Light (personal cue card w/ red (stop and think about what you're going to say); yellow (is it appropriate? timing right? will it upset anyone?) green (go ahead and say it)
    *Interruption Check (is someone else speaking? if so, don't say anything yet!)
    *Reaction Watch (look at the faces of those around you when you're saying something; are they giving you nonverbal cues that you're distracting them?
    *Time Out / Distraction Seat (POSITIVE, self-directed intervention; students can move to this seat, facing away from others or at the back of the room if they need to see the projection screen; this way they can be engaged in the lesson and/or still hear pertinent info, but they are apart from class and choose not to say anything. They choose this themselves, it's not a punishment.)
    *5 Comment Limit (student is limited to 5 comments about a topic/in a class. This cuts down on those that dominate discussion for any reason.)
    *Personal cues (thumbs up/down, head nod/shake from me when they look at me; this helps them gauge whether or not it's appropriate to say something. once again, this is student-directed. They choose this option and let me know what they need me to do.)

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2011

I have a card that I carry around. I have a green card for when the student is doing well with not calling out, a yellow card for when it's getting to be too much, and a red card for you need to stop calling out. I have also given the cards to students to hold on to when necessary.

I have used a call out chart. Basically, I keep one and the student keeps one. The student gets a reward if they have the same amount of call outs marked that I do (I usually do within 1 or 2). Then the student also gets a reward if they lower the amount of call outs or are within a reasonable range for the student. So, a student could earn 2 rewards a period or week or whatever is reasonable for the student.