Reddigifts is holding a drive for Teachers who need supplies!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by BioAngel, Aug 4, 2014.

1. chitown

chitown Companion

Aug 24, 2014

It is really nice to see that there are people out there who are willing to help out teachers that they don't even know. And yes, some are VERY generous!

2. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 25, 2014

I do have budget money to buy supplies, but my P wants us to buy it from 1 company that sells everything, but they are way too expensive. So I tend to just purchase my supplies with my own money and then buy curriculum stuff- science lab materials, books, etc- with my budget money.

The parents tend to go over board with the stuff that they buy their kids- they're mostly rich families so I usually spend the month of September taking away all the distracting school supplies from kids. (They're allowed to pick it up at the end of the day- if they remember or it gets trashed)

Technology (we're a 1:1 school- iPads in K, not-so-great laptops in 1 to 4, and great Chromebooks in 5 and 6 and I have a set of 13 tablets in my classroom), redoing the buildings (I had my science classroom redone into a lab a few years ago. Our art rooms were just redone and now our hallways are being updated), Financial aid, and my school pays their teachers well compared to other private schools. So yeah... the money is going to places; it is just how policies are set up. (I have almost $1000 to spend over 4 grade levels)

Copy paper I get from the main office (I do take some home too for me to use if it is work related only), Kleenex I head downstairs to take some from special cubbies, we even have a laminator which is awesome. But I buy loose leaf, high lighters, tape, glue, crayons, colored pencils, etc myself- these supplies are mostly for those who might have forgotten theirs although by the end of the year most kids are using my stuff.

It's not so bad, but still it costs me money since my P is making us follow this new procedure.

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 5, 2014

Anyone want to share how their experience has been?

I don't think I'll be getting a package from my Secret Santa :( There has been no update since the information was pulled on the 18th. But it has been great seeing the gallery pics of what other teachers got!

Thanks to the OP for posting this. Even if I don't get anything for my class out of it, I learned about the gift exchanges. I love Secret Santa stuff so I'm hoping one will open that I can join later.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2014

Matched, but nothing sent. I can understand that sometimes people mean to help, but life gets in the way. I didn't say anything to anyone at school, just in case this happened. My kids would be ecstatic and incredulous that someone thought of them, but just as crushed if they thought they weren't deserving. They internalize that kind of stuff. I think it is wonderful that some classes were helped, regardless of who received the aid. It is wonderful that in times of need and stress that there are individuals who put strangers in their thoughts and actions.

5. chitown

chitown Companion

Sep 5, 2014

I got my stuff a few days ago. My santa pulled my info on the 18th also, and I didn't have much information about my class at that time. I just asked for general supplies since I work in a low income school an knew some kids wouldn't bring anything, and some wouldn't bring portions of the list. I then found out I'd be getting my own classroom (I was going to be an inclusion teacher, then got assigned to a self contained classroom). I didn't make any changes to my requests since my santa had already pulled my info.

My santa pulled my info again on the 28th or so, then I got a shipping notification. A few days later, a box arrived. It was full of markers, crayons, construction paper, pens, pencils, colored pencils, a few foam puzzles, and a bunch of stickers. My santa said she chose art supplies to cover the large variety of ages I was originally going to be working with (k-4) and because she never had those name brand supplies. I thought it was really awesome and touching. When I posted the gift, she thanked me for being a teacher.

We will definitely be putting this stuff to use in my class. I think this was such a great experience, and even if I don't sign up as a receiver again, I will definitely be signing up as a giver.

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 5, 2014

I got my package too. I only asked for pencils and sharpeners, but my giver also included composition books, printer paper, colored pencils, rulers, and lined paper!

I'm very grateful to my giver, and added a handwritten note to him/her in my photo. I don't know how to tell if they respond to it though.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2014

I posted my gifts the other days. I was reading the FAQs. It suggested they spend $20. My donor spent around $80! So generous!

8. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Sep 5, 2014

My donor messaged me the other day and said they had waited until they were sure school had started (it had since we have been back with students since August 1) because they wanted to make sure my original list was the only stuff I actually needed. I thought that was very considerate.

9. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Sep 7, 2014

Nothing sent by the gifter, nothing received. This was the first time I signed up for this program. I'll do it again next year but still it is a bit disappointing.

I'm glad that at least others were able to benefit.

10. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 10, 2014

So I thought I was not going to get anything because I'm a private school teacher- but apparently I was rematched and the person sent me about $200 in supplies and a gift card!!! It was like Christmas yesterday when 3 packages showed up at my door :)

Here's what I got-

[​IMG]

My person didn't know what kinds of science kits to get me so she gave me a $150 Amazon gift card instead :eek:hmy::love:

I already bough the crayons, colored pencils, and glue sticks for my class, but I'm happy to have back ups or I might just use them next year. :)

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2014

Wow!

12. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Sep 10, 2014

Wow! I got a bottle of hand sanitizer and a box of 100 pencils. Hey, help is help!

But... WOW. That sure is nice.

13. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 10, 2014

I received a case of Puffs tissue today and a 2nd one is on the way! :)

14. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 10, 2014

Still no contact from my Santa :(

But it is great hearing about the goodies you guys get.

15. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Sep 11, 2014

It says i was matched but i think the person backed out, which is fine but got my hopes up a lot since our supply list from the school just went into the toilet :(