Red Ribbon Week

Discussion in 'General Education' started by cocobean, Oct 26, 2016.

1. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Oct 26, 2016

Do you participate during red ribbon week? (Crazy hair day, twin day, sports day, etc.)
    I do! I think it's fun, and my students seem to be more willing to participate if they know I will be too. Some teachers at my school don't dress up, which I think is a shame. Being silly is a perk of being an elementary teacher, imo.

What's your favorite day during red ribbon week?

Leaborb192 likes this.
  3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 26, 2016

My favorites are the days I don't have to buy things to participate.

yellowdaisies and SpecialPreskoo like this.
  4. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 26, 2016

I hadn't even heard of red ribbon week until now!

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 26, 2016

My favorite days are Fridays... LOL

teacherintexas likes this.
  6. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Oct 28, 2016

Yes, ours were pretty easy though.
    Wear red, sports shirt, crazy socks, college shirt, and story book dress up day.
    I always look forward to fun, silly days.

cocobean likes this.
  7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Oct 28, 2016

What is red ribbon week? I mean, I can tell from the posts that you dress up every day, but is there a purpose/reason? What does the red ribbon stand for? I've never heard of it!

I've gotten to be more of a scrooge over the years, haha! I will participate in spirit days only if it's something easy and doesn't involve me purchasing something at all. I have gotten jaded about the fact that I am a professional with a masters degree and get paid so very little in comparison to the COL in my city. I'm not spending one cent on something school-related. I do love PJ day, and I'll do crazy hair day with just pigtails or something. For the Halloween parade I'm just going to draw a cat face on with eyeliner and make some ears with construction paper and a headband.

8. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Oct 29, 2016

It's an anti-drug campaign. I hadn't heard of it either until about two years ago.

9. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Oct 29, 2016

We do dress up days for Homecoming week, which is the week before Red Ribbon week, so we eliminated dressing up for Red Ribbon week because two weeks in a row was too much. I do usually participate in spirit week as long as I have the stuff. For example, we had camouflage day, and I skipped that one as I don't have any.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 29, 2016

I hated Red Ribbon Week. It was just an excuse for the kids to act wild. They couldn't have cared less about the point of it.

11. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 29, 2016

I always dress up for spirit days. We don't do red ribbon week, but we do have spirit days once a month. Even now that I am itinerant, I try to participate if I know about the dress up theme ahead of time. I feel left out when walk into a building and everyone is in their pajamas and I'm not!

cocobean likes this.
  12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 29, 2016

I try to remember to dress up for spirit days; most of our staff does. The only time I'll spend any amount of money is for Halloween (all of the staff tend to go all out for Halloween). I try to buy things that I can use again.

13. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Oct 29, 2016

Our days were difficult this year, so I wasn't thrilled. In the past, we've had crazy socks, hats, sports, crazy dress/hair, etc. This year we had pajama day (I like that one), but we also had decades day, super hero day, western day, and pirate day. I HATE spending money on spirit days. This year I just bought $10 pajama pants at Walmart. I can use those, so it's ok. I refuse to buy something I won't wear in real life. It's pretty much the expectation at my school that all teachers dress up, so I did all the days except pirate day because we were having a grade level event and I used that as my excuse. I am basically the opposite of a hoarder by nature - I don't keep much extra "stuff" around - so things like this are difficult for me. I live in an apartment and don't have a garage, so storage space is at a premium. I use it for what I think is worth it. Christmas decorations - worth it, weird costumes - not worth it. I don't just have random costume pieces lying around like many of my coworkers do. I really do have coworkers who keep tubs of this stuff in their garage.

I like spirit days to a point. We also have costumes on Monday. I just find 6 days of this in a row to be really tiresome. The kids are really off their game because naturally they believe anything out of the ordinary must mean no work is happening. Sigh.

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2016

When I was in the classroom I dressed up. Red Ribbon Week started out as an anti-drug awareness campaign. It has since transformed into an excuse to wear Halloween costumes at school (at least in my opinion/experience). We have teachers who go all out for dress up days. I know the kids really enjoy seeing them all dressed up.

Upsadaisy likes this.