Red meat

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Apr 24, 2017.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 24, 2017

About a year ago, I cut red meat from my diet. I haven't missed it one bit. I still eat fish, poultry, and vegetable protein (beans), though.

Anyone else stay away from red meat?

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 24, 2017

I cut red meat down to only about once a week on average. This week there isn't any red meat on the menu at all. I also cut out processed carbs, white flour and sugar which is just as bad for you but most people don't even realize.

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 24, 2017

No. I LOVE a red juicy steak. <3

MetalTeacher and SpecialPreskoo like this.
  5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2017

I have cut down on red meat only due to budgetary constraints. I love a good steak!

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 24, 2017

Yes, us too. My husband loves filet mignon or a whole beef tenderloin but I can't spend that much all the time!! I got a beef tenderloin on sale though for Easter and it was really worth it.

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 24, 2017

I do not eat red meat or pork. My husband always tell people I don't eat mammals. I try to limit my intake of fish and birds, as well. I only very rarely want to eat meat. Specifically, I sometimes crave a Patty Melt from Whataburger, and usually after I've had blood work done or gotten a shot. It's what I always used to get as a treat after, and I still miss that. Otherwise, I rarely miss it.

My pet peeve is surprise bacon in dishes. I always ask now!

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 24, 2017

Sugar, how do I love thee?

I absolutely cannot give up dessert. Sigh.

9. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 24, 2017

Not with any real mindfullness, but I confess red meat really isn't my thing. I love a good burger, but I'm just as happy replacing the meat with a mushroom.

I'm not a vegetarian, but at conferences and such I tend to order the vegetarian meal because the resulting food is generally more appealing.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 24, 2017

I've never been a vegetarian but at 3 weddings that I've attended, they had vegetarian options that were way more appealing than the other options. I remember eating a lovely Vegetarian Napoleon at my brother's wedding and everyone who got the chicken with the strange sauce was jealous of my dish!

11. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Apr 24, 2017

I don't too often... I'm just lazy ... and don't eat big meals much anyways :p

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 24, 2017

I'm a Pesce vegetarian

13. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Apr 24, 2017

I love steak and use ground beef a lot, but I cut back when I moved out on my own and now it doesn't really agree with me so I'm more aware of when I eat it.

14. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Cohort

Apr 24, 2017

I gave up red meat somewhere around the age of 12. I'm not strict about it, but I realized that I don't enjoy the taste of beef or pork, so why keep eating it? I like turkey bacon, sausage, and hotdogs just as well as the pork ones. Beef tacos are my exception, and I'm thinking about going back to regular hotdogs now that Oscar Mayer discontinued the turkey cheese dogs. Negotiating school cafeterias was hard, but other than that I don't even need to think about it anymore.

Backroads likes this.
  15. greendream

greendream Cohort

Apr 24, 2017

No way. I actually added much more red meat to my diet and cut out almost all sugar and carbs, and I had the best checkup of my life. Lower cholesterol, lower blood sugar, better BMI, lower weight :)

Backroads likes this.
  16. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Apr 24, 2017

I don't eat red meat. Every so often I crave a burger and then I indulge, but as a general rule I don't like red meat. I grew up on a steady diet of steak and ground beef (my parents are cattle farmers) and I just don't like the texture or taste. It breaks my dad's heart a little when I request chicken or fish over a steak, but it's all about taste.

Backroads likes this.
  17. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 24, 2017

My in-laws are cattle ranchers, so we have easy access to steak. Husband loves it, I'm just "that's nice."

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 24, 2017

I eat a lot of pork and chicken (and eat loads of fish and seafood when my daughter isn't home!). We'll have red meat once every couple of weeks; for me, it's the price--she doesn't eat ground meat, and everything else is so expensive!

19. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 24, 2017

We have cows. The hubs loves red meat. I'm not a big fan. If I'm at a steak place, I might order a steak or I might get a grilled chicken salad.

20. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 24, 2017

I've cut back enough that I only eat it when I eat out. I eat poultry. I don't care for fish, but wish I did. I eat pork extremely rarely - usually just bacon at a restaurant, and I almost never eat breakfast out. I'd say I eat beef (usually a hamburger or Chinese food with beef, sometimes beef tacos) maybe twice a month or so. I rarely eat steak, though I do love it on occasion.

I cannot cut carbs. Never, ever. I'm currently losing weight pretty steadily (counting calories and exercising) and still eating carbs, so I'm ok with it. ;)

21. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 25, 2017

I can't give up red meat - helps keep my hemoglobin up.

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 25, 2017

I try to stay away from it for the most part, but I'll still eat it here & there.