Recycling and insects

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by butterfly, May 11, 2007.

1. butterfly

butterfly Rookie

May 11, 2007

I'm looking for some ideas or tings that you have done in the classroom regarding recycling and insects. We just finished a planting unit, I'm looking for some new ideas. I love all of the ideas posted on this site, its great for a new teacher!

3. AMK

AMK Aficionado

May 11, 2007

For insects we sorted insects and non-insects that I had from my science kit. But before we did that we talked about insects have 6 legs and so on.
    My grade partner purchased crickets and meal worms for our bug jars. I left them in the science center for the children to observe.

I gave each child an insect picture and they had to write me two things about the insect. It had to be a complete thought and a sentence which was very tough for my ESL students. But overall most did well.

We also made bug masks. Using paper plates, markers and pipe cleaners.
    Next week we will begin our 2 week butterfly unit.
    If I had more time we would have ordered ladybugs. But right now I have 140 caterpillars in my room!

4. ABall

ABall Fanatic

May 11, 2007

my favorite recycling is to use cereal boxes to make picture frames, I let the kids glue foam shapes (you could use all kinds of found materials) and use hot glue to put magnets on the back.

Use yogurt containers for water when you paint. Use the little empty crystal light tubs for paint.

Cover cans like oat meal boxes, crystal light cansisters etc... for maracas or make a pencil holder out of them.

Use the metal juice lids from frozen juice to make a memory game, glue matching pictures--------- you could find pictures of bugs, to make your game, you need to collect about 20 of them.

of course there are countless ways to recycle magazines, I use them to do the nutrition project where they cut and glue pictures of healthy stuff to a paper plate.

5. 6thgradeteacher

6thgradeteacher Rookie

May 11, 2007

We made insect collections and had the kids learn how to use a field guide to identify them. For younger kids, you could have them identify insect/non-insect, # of legs, antennae, body parts, etc... They turned out really cute.

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 11, 2007

save (and have your kids save) lids from milk, juice, soda, water, etc. bottles and jugs. My kids really enjoyed counting and sorting them (Size, shape, color, etc)... you could also use them for patterning. You can do the same thing with empty soda bottles.

7. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

May 11, 2007

You can use plastic bugs (check dollar stores) for graphing, patterning and sorting. Do a study of Eric Carle "bug" books. Have them create their own bug out of dough, pipe cleaners and other scrap materials.