Record Keeping

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Teachingtots, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Teachingtots

Teachingtots Rookie

Feb 9, 2008

I'm going to be started a long term substitute job in 2nd grade soon. The teacher told me that she doesn't keep a record of grades . This seems strange to me! She said that she bases most of her teaching on what she observes in the classroom. She can just tell what students need to be working on based on that. I agree that observation is a big part of understanding student's needs, but do other second grade teachers keep records of work/grades? What do you typically keep a record of? I feel like it's going to be hard for me to step in now and be able to tell where each child is academically.
    She told me that she just picks writing activities and reading responses for reader's/writer's workshop based on what she thinks they need to be doing. She doesn't seem to be keeping up a record of what's going on in conferences with each child. I feel like I'm not going to know what the kids have already worked on! Any ideas?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2008

This is strange. We were required to keep grades and we had to have a certain amount per subject per grading period. We had progress reports and report cards go out. How can she keep up with everything? Do you know if this is what the other 2nd grade teachers in the school do as well? If so you might want to meet with them before you start.

4. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Feb 9, 2008

I agree with smalltowngal- even though I teach high school, I can't imagine being able to give a student a grade based on JUST and ONLY what she observes. Are there other grade level teachers you can get help from??

5. Teachingtots

Teachingtots Rookie

Feb 9, 2008

The other second grade teachers are really helpful, so I'm definitely going to ask them how they keep track of student work and grading. I know as a team, the teachers agreed not to post individual grades for homework/classwork, etc. because parents can access that and it can cause problems. However, I assume that teachers still keep their own personal records for each student to monitor progress. It makes me nervous because I feel like I don't have a "roadmap" of previous grades to reference.

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Feb 9, 2008

What problems?? :confused: I think it would be more of a problem to give a student a grade and not be able to justify that grade. As a parent, I have access to the grades that my daughters make so I am never surprised at report card time. This seems very unusal very to me but again I am not an elementary teacher.

7. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Feb 9, 2008

That is unusual. Can she tell you what they have covered so far so you will at least know what you still have left to cover?

8. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Feb 9, 2008

Do you have any idea how you would like to keep grades?

9. Teachingtots

Teachingtots Rookie

Feb 9, 2008

That's what I need some help with. I had to keep grades when I did my student teaching in 4th grade, but I know that's different than second grade.

What do other second grade teachers do for homework grades, in class work, etc.? I definitely want to keep track of work, but on their report cards, I will not have to include these specifics, as there is no letter grade given. Instead, specific skills or qualities are described and I would indicate whether a child has mastered it, in the beginning stages, etc. Hope that makes sense. So, I am wondering on a daily basis how other teachers keep their records.

10. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Feb 9, 2008

There are no grades? Where is the evidence to prove that a child has a certain skill level?

11. 2ndTimeArnd

2ndTimeArnd Companion

Feb 9, 2008

I think it IS harder to keep traditional grades in 2nd grade, because in my school, at least, we don't grade everything - for example, I keep track of who brings back math and reading homework, but they don't get a grade per se. They don't get graded on writing they do, although I keep monitoring notes. I keep track of spelling, vocabularly and Daily Oral Language tests, and math tests, all in a grade book, but we don't really have "reading" tests - just end-of-story wrap-ups (it's Open Court) that I do with them on the overhead, and that I see mostly as practice for the response writing they'll expected to do in 3rd grade.
    And the reason it's easier to not keep so many grades is because our report cards are so silly - kids don't get a grade in spelling, or math, but get 1, 2 3 or 4 on one of the 6 standards within math. Same for Lang Arts and Science/Social Studies. But we can't give 4s unless they are ABOVE grade level in any of these. And I can only give a 3 on the math and reading standards if they've already met the end-of-year goals. Which is math they never have because we haven't taught it yet! So about the only thing the kids can get 3s in is reading, if they test at grade level, and science standards we're done with for the year. So by and large, most kids get 2s on everything - which don't tell parents anything, in my opinion.
    In other words, our report cards are fairly meaningless. District is in the process of changing them, but until they fully align with what's taught in the classroom, they seem useless to me. Thus, the need for lots of anecdotal observation on a teacher's part, and ongoing awareness about what each kid knows and still needs.