Record/Gradebook

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by MrsRich219, Jul 21, 2005.

1. MrsRich219

MrsRich219 Companion

Jul 21, 2005

Our school district does not provide recordbooks or lesson plan books. I'm looking for a great recordbook that has space for both grades and attendance. Have any of you come across and really "GREAT" recordbooks???

:thanks:

Trease

3. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 21, 2005

I make my own on microsoft excel and put both the records and lesson plans in a binder. Most lesson plan books don't have enough room to write down the actual lessons and I hate having to rewrite all of the stuff in each week that stays the same.

4. elsjry

elsjry Rookie

Jul 21, 2005

I have heard that the grade software Grade Quick is very good. You can download a free copy of it for 30 days from their website. I think I might try it this year.

5. MzB

MzB Rookie

Jul 21, 2005

I used MicroGrade during student teaching. Its easy and simple for computer grading, and you can always print them out.

6. Rainey

Rainey Rookie

Jul 23, 2005

I teach 5th grade. There are two programs that I absolutely love for grade keeping. First Class and Gradekeeper. I use Gradekeeper because my district has bought into it, but both are great.

For lesson plans, I have two templates, I believe they have been created on AppleWorks and Word. Many teachers use them to record their lesson plans and have reported that they are wonderful. They are able to cut and paste, edit, etc. Personally, I write my plans in, I'm just an old-fashioned type of girl I guess. I am comfortable with my system. If you would like additional information about the templates, please feel free to e-mail me through the forum.

7. darzie

darzie Companion

Jul 24, 2005

Electronic Lesson Plans

I have developed an electronic lesson plan book using FileMakerPro, but I'm not very happy with it. If any of you have any suggestions or ideas for a different one, I'd LOVE to hear it!! Thanks! :)

8. dee

dee Companion

Jul 24, 2005

Our district is going to elctronic gradebooks for the 2006-2007 school year using gradebookwizard.com. One school in our district(K-12) is going to pilot the program this year. There was a professional development class for a limited group of teachers at the elem, middle and high school level that are going to also get to pilot the program. I am among that group and from the training, I think that it is good.

9. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Jul 25, 2005

My district implemented GradeQuick for the 2003-04 school year, gave us a couple of training sessions, then changed to WebGrader for the 2004-05 school year! Both GradeQuick and WebGrader are cool, but with WebGrader we're able to access it over the Internet AND we can attach state standards that were assessed. (Yeah, can we say Big Brother?)

10. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Jul 26, 2005

Our school uses the computer program Easy Grade Pro. It is WONDERFUL. It's all I use. I don't even use paper & pencil anymore because I back it up every night. It's so great because I can log onto the computer at any time and print out a report for a student so a parent can see exactly how he/she is doing. I hope you find a program that works good for you. GL!

11. darzie

darzie Companion

Jul 26, 2005

That's what we use, too, and it is absolutely awesome. I print out progress reports at the end of each week, listing any missing/late assignments as well so parents are not surprised when report cards come home!

12. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 27, 2005

I use Grade Quick and it does the same thing. It's a gradebook/attendance book in one. If you can get past the "I'm learning how to use this thing" stage, it's great. It prints off anything you can think of. It's how we do our report cards. The parent gets to keep the printout and just sign and return an envelope. As for a pencil/paper gradebook: buy one at the dollar store. No need to spend a lot of money. Electronic grade books are so much easier to handle. I do both because sometimes I don't have time to sit down at my computer and enter grades. My gradebook can go with me werever I go. Only if I live 30 miles from here. The school district over there just gave every one of their teachers laptops (800+ teachers = a lot of money).

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 27, 2005

I feel like I accomplished something great because this morning I set up my gradebook (I do it by hand and prefer that) and entered all the dates for the year, showing days off and # of days per quarter, etc.

14. kjnewman

kjnewman Rookie

Jul 27, 2005

I took a page from my favorite old emty grade book and copied it to fit my needs. Then I put it in loose leaf notebook. The great thing about it is you can cater it to you needs. I would add all my (regulars) like lunch, journal time,things that are constant. That way I did not have to keep handwriting it in every week. I just copied the template and added what I needed. I also liked keeping it in a loose leaf notebook because I could take out and change it if my schedule was changed due to snow days etc.

15. bonteach

bonteach Companion

Jul 27, 2005

I made my own lesson plan grid using Microsoft Word and I have a grade sheet I made in excel that I print and can use to hand enter grades. But for caluculating I like gradekeeper. You can use it free for 30 days but then it only costs $25 for a single liscence and $100 (Ithink) for a school liscence. I tried EZ grader and I didn't like it. I like to do the lesson plans my self because I do each day in a column instead of a row. i als keep it all in alooseleaf binder. I also keep a calendar and a copy of my curriculum in the binder along with a zipper pouch filled with pens etc. That was no matter where I want to grade, I'm all set, even if my(personal)children are hogging my computer.