Recommending someone for an interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by waterfall, Apr 5, 2014.

1. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Apr 5, 2014

We have one open position at my school this year that I encouraged a former teammate of mine to apply for. She is a great teacher and I think she would be a good fit for my current school. Is it inappropriate to "put a word in" for her with my principal? I've only been at my school for a year, so I don't want to be too presumptuous, but my principal really likes me. How would you go about it (send an e-mail, talk to her in person, etc?) Obviously the P won't hire her based on my word but I think it could at least get her an interview.

3. bdd

bdd Rookie

Apr 5, 2014

Not inappropriate at all, in my opinion. A good recommendation should always be helpful. Express it in the manner you prefer (email, talk, etc). But also, don't expect a recommendation to mean any preferential treatment for the friend.

4. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Apr 5, 2014

I've encouraged friends or former co-workers to apply. I will mention to my P that he/she is going to apply.

My P values that information. If he thinks you've worked with someone before he will come & ask you about that person.

5. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2014

I would let your principal know. Principals get tons of applications and most probably appreciate a recommendation for a good hire.