Recommending how to become a "warm and fuzzy" teacher

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by BioAngel, May 31, 2011.

1. a2z

a2z Maven

Jun 2, 2011

Yes. You are right. I didn't focus on the title, but the content of the initial post. I apologize.

I still stand by the fact that at teacher doesn't necessarily have to be warm and fuzzy to not seem mean to students.

2. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2011

And I agree with you 100%. I just wanted to clear where the "warm and fuzzy" came from.

3. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jun 2, 2011

AGREE! Very true. Teachers have to be firm and you are correct...sometimes is causes children to cry... That is all part of it! I had to talk to my kinder aide about this last year...she would want to console them after I had reprimanded them. Sometimes they just need reprimanded...

4. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 7, 2011

Well an update---
    -- The brother/sister I may have mentioned before probably are getting bad vibes from Mom and Dad. I have never acted mean in any way so I'm wondering if the parents are sending vibes that the kids are picking up on.

To make things a little better I have been giving these 2 kids some special treatment as a way to just show them I *do* love them before the school year is up. I got a hug from the sister, so apparently things are better. The brother is talking a lot to me about random stuff--- I take that as a good sign a kid likes you: he wants to share random stuff (like how my 2 rubber duckies are having the most amazing staring contest ever!).

-- The other girl is full of hugs and nice comments and will always say hi to me. I've been praising her a little more often and just softening my voice (not really changing how I behave) and it seems to have helped.

Once again I think it is that I was told I was way too quiet when I started teaching and because of my hearing I might have difficulty with loudness. I might be very loud and just not realize it. If my principal speaks to me again about the loudness, I'll just tell her about my hearing issue--- not to make an excuse but just to realize I probably don't realize how loud I'm talking. (For example, I have my AC's on around my apartment and fans blowing and it sounds SUPER loud to me and I noticed I've been talking louder than I normally would at home--- replace AC's and fans with students in a cafeteria or classroom)

As for the teachers voicing that they could never change themselves or kids should just deal with it, honestly I do want to change if I'm being perceived as "mean". While I don't want to be praising a child for every little thing and offering hugs for every boo boo, I do want the kids to know I care about them. This has been a good learning experience for me.

5. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jun 8, 2011

I am certainly one of those 'warm and fuzzy' teachers. I love hugs and am a touchy person. Sometimes it'll startle me when a student will back away or say something like, "Don't touch me!" It always surprises me because, in 3rd grade, 99.9% of the kids like the hand on the shoulder, high-5, side-hug, etc. But, then I have to remember that not all kids are comfortable with being touched. It also helps remind me about appropriate boundaries.

6. a2z

a2z Maven

Jun 8, 2011

I am so happy to hear that things have become better. You did change how you behave, though. It was slight, but it was what is needed.

I agree, kids don't need to be praised for every little thing they do, but a little praise when you see something done right activates the brain in younger kids cementing the right way. It also lets them know you see when they do good.

And honestly, if a child needs to hear some praise and never gets any, the child will think you are mean/uncaring because there is never any direct acknowledgment of what they do well.

If you rarely or never hear praise, you never know for sure what the other person is thinking.