Recommending a friend for an open position advice

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jun 21, 2015

How much influence can I have when recommending a friend for an open position? What I mean is that I already talked to the P about her, my friend has sent her resume to the P, and she has been interviewed. The next board meeting is Thursday so maybe the P's decision has already been made. But, is there anything more I can do to sway the P's opinion? For example, my friend has experience coaching middle school girls basketball. The math teacher who left also resigned from the middle school girls b-ball coaching spot. Is there something I could say in passing or should I have my friend email the P about that?

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2015

I think you have done enough. Any more contact about your friend might be construed as interfering.

4. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jun 21, 2015

Isn't the coaching experience on her resume? When did your friend interview? If she forgot to include coaching on her resume, you might contact P and ask if a decision has been made. If yes, you're done. If no, you could mention friend's coaching experience.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 21, 2015

You've done enough. You got your friend the interview. S/he should be hired on his or her own credentials, experience, interview skills.

I got an interview for my current position based on a friends recommendation. But the job was mine to get or lose I rather it that way.

6. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2015

The fact that she received an interview because of your recommendation is enough on your part. My school would not interview a friend of another teachers to avoid rumours of nepotism. I'm sure your friend can speak for herself and contact the principal about the position and mention her coaching experience. If she's not confident in doing that, you can help her by encouraging her to do it.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 21, 2015

Don't be pushy. You helped your friend to get a foot in the door and that should be enough.

8. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Jun 21, 2015

We had a situation like this last summer. I was on the interviewing panel, and the candidate was doing really well until she mentioned a coworker. My team member told her about the open position, but she got the interview on her own merit. She shot herself In the foot when she said she couldn't wait to be team members with her good friend, the team member who told her about the job. She also said she knew a lot about the school because of said team member. My P did not offer her the job because of how it would look.

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 21, 2015

Around here there are several districts that don't even interview anyone unless they have a connection. I've heard from many people that they have so many people with connections that they don't even bother with anyone else. I also had this problem in the district I just left. I managed to get my foot in the door because I was hired for a harder to fill position. I moved to a classroom position and heard several times how they were so surprised I got the job-because so many others would have wanted it. It's ridiculous. It makes it very hard for new people to have a chance!

Sorry to get off topic-I think you've done your part for your friend. I wouldn't do anything else.

10. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jun 22, 2015

Thanks for all the advice. I'm gonna keep my lips sealed and whatever happens will happen. My friend did indicate that she mentioned my name during her interview. Now, how much could that help her? I really have no idea. I just hope it wasn't just a plain old courtesy interview just because I name-dropped someone.