Recommendations for comfortable shoes?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by old-new teacher, Jul 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SweetMsNC

SweetMsNC Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

Danskos, expensive but well worth it!

2. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 31, 2007

I am going to have black slippers in my middle room with my umbrella :woot: , refrigerator, and two filing cabinets. :) The room will be perfect for emergencies.

3. weno88

weno88 Companion

Jul 31, 2007

4. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

Dansko's are the best! I absolutely love them. They are expensive though. I love Earth shoes too. However I had surgery on my feet in college and the flat earth shoes dig right into my scar and is very painful. I have Earth boots that I love and they area vegan whicha I really like.

If you have LOTS of money to spare. :lol: There are shoes called MBT (stands for Masai Barefoot Technology) that are outstanding. They are not the most attractive shoes but they are sold in Eurpoe as Physical Therapy. I was in Culinary school and was hvaing major back pain, knee and foot pain. Someone told me to get these and I did and all the pain went away. It was magic! Again super expensive (double the price of Danskos but I was worth it. :D If you truly have significant arthritis issues I would get them. They look like rocking chairs (the bottoms are round so it makes you roll your foot from heel to toe when you walk).

BTW YOu can usually find some decent Danskos on Ebay

5. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

6. KRaeLamb

KRaeLamb Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

CROCS LOOK AWFUL. I know there are different styles and colors now, but THEY ARE SOOOOO UNPROFESSIONAL. AGGH.

7. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Jul 31, 2007

shoes

Just curious where do you live and what grade?:)

8. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Jul 31, 2007

I agree totally, but my daughters talked me into trying on just one pair........wow! It's like walking on air. I just wear that one pair so far - with jeans on Friday........but I'm telling you, they are so comfortable. If you check their website, they have lots of styles.... even my doctor wears them, I;ve noticed.;)

9. LABooks

LABooks Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

After many years of frustrations trying to find comfortable shoes that are wide enough, I discovered SAS. They are a bit expensive but they last two or three times longer than others. :love:

Good luck.
    Betsy

10. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

I'm on a military base in Okinawa, Japan. For the last 2 years, I taught 1st/2nd multi-age, and (hooray!) this year, I'll be getting a single grade...don't know yet whether that's 1st or 2nd though.

11. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 31, 2007

Invest in a Captains Chair that swirls. They have a back and are tall like a bar stool so students can see what you are reading and etc. You can lean against it to rest your feet. Sit down to read your read aloud books and to give some instructions. Rest your feet and back every chance you get. They are worth the money.

12. classemom

classemom Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

Born shoes are wonderful!

And for flip flops....Yellow Box shoes are the best!

:)

13. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 31, 2007

I am so afraid to order shoes either out of a catalogue or over the Internet. Can someone tell me if Danskos tend to run large or small, narrow or wide? Tbelle, I appreciate your comments about Land's End!

14. pamms

pamms Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

It's amazing how you can change your mind after you see something for a while tho. lol
    I keep a pair at school for rainy days. We have to walk outside ALOT everyday (Florida outdoor campuses) and when it rains you WILL get wet ;-)

15. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

I wear mostly Aerosoles.

They are cute and built for comfort. You can find dressy all the way to leather flip flops. I always try them on and I don't go for the ones that are too high-heeled. (Don't want any bunyons!) :eek:

You can find them at DSW, Ross, Marshall's, TJ Maxx, Shoe Pavillion, and of course Aerosoles stores and outlets. If I like a style, I tend to buy a few pairs.

Hope this helps!:p

16. soflgal

soflgal Companion

Jul 31, 2007

I LOVE Aerosoles! What's What are also very comfortable and made by Aerosoles. I just got a few pairs @ Famous Footwear.

17. ruralneteach

ruralneteach Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

I swear by Tevas, but they're hard to find any styles but sandals. I have a pair of boots that I am babying because I haven't been able to replace them. They are so comfortable.

I just went to a Sierra Trading Post in Wyoming (they also have a website) and bought Birkenstock shoes for $50, a pair of Clarks $45 and a pair of Sofft shoes for $45. I've never tried Soffts so I hope I like them. I tried on Earth shoes, but I wasn't sure I could get used to them.

Last year I bought a pair of Ecco boots for about $35 and they still look great so I should be set.

18. LABooks

LABooks Rookie

Aug 1, 2007

------------------------------------------------------------------
    My daughter has had success finding wide Reeboks. Sometimes she has even bought boy's Reeboks for width. Who knows the difference? She reminded me that she had a pair of cloth Reebok (not canvas) running shoes for ladies that were extremely comfortable. She wore them "forever." When they wore out, she tried to find them online but couldn't. Part of the problem might be that they keep changing things around. When you find a pair that you know you like and you've worn them a few weeks, it is good to go back immediately and buy more of the same shoe! She does that.

You can save yourseslf lots of trouble and avoid the problem of a favorite becoming discontinued. (And even get a two for one discount sometimes!) She was wearing one version of Reeboks long after they discontinued it.

She found something online called Shoe Goo which is actually shoe GLUE that you can use to keep those old favorites going a little longer. It's only 4 bucks.

She has used it to fix up her Irish dance shoes so that they are comfortable. Irish dancing gives shoes plenty of wear and tear! I haven't tried it but Shoe Goo must be tough stuff.
    :cool:

19. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 1, 2007

i found some maryjanes with a tiny heel on them at walmart for about 20 bucks in black and brown. They are very comfortable and have lots of cushion in the sole.

20. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

I did it!!! I ordered a pair of Danskos! I chose the "Margrete" style.

I order online a lot. I love to order from zappos when they have my size, but I sometimes just go there to read the reviews from other customers. For each review, customers say whether or not that particular model felt true to size, larger, smaller, wider, etc. If you find a Dansko model you like, I'd go check those reviews to see what most of the people think about the fit.

21. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 1, 2007

Thanks, Knittingbec! I'll do that!

22. classemom

classemom Rookie

Aug 1, 2007

What brand were they, if you don't mind sharing...sounds like a good deal!

23. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 2, 2007

actually my brain was fried when i typed that. :lol:

I got them at target. They are merona brand and are found in the dress shoe aisle. I've been wearing them for three days on my feet all day and so far, no problem.

24. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 2, 2007

LOVE the Dansko shoes. They are expensive but I wore them everyday last year so they would completely worth the price. My doctor wears them also and a lot of my nurse friends, basically anyone who is on their feet all day!

25. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Aug 2, 2007

OK, I just ordered a pair of Dansko's from an ebay shoe store. They are supposed to be new, never worn and I got them for 69.99 and with free shipping too! I'm excited to get them and try them on. They seller assured me that I could return them for a different size if they don't fit.

26. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 2, 2007

You will love them! They take a little while to get used to. When I first put them on I was indifferent about them and disappointed. Then I wore them for three days straight and started to love them:)

27. LoveToRead

LoveToRead Rookie

Aug 3, 2007

I know Dansko shoes are fairly popular among teachers (as mentioned by many in this thread). For those who are hesitant to spend so much on a pair of shoes, LL Bean sells shoes that are nearly identical for about half the price. I wore them every day for my student teaching and my feet were never sore and I never got blisters. I think they are the same quality at Dansko and you cant tell the difference in looks.

28. LABooks

LABooks Rookie

Aug 3, 2007

I've never bought LL Bean products. Are they only available in their catalog?

Where would I find these and Dansko shoes?

I need to try on shoes in a store.

I'm surprised that I am the only one who has mentioned SAS. Maybe I should take a closer look at some of the others. I wonder if SAS is just in the South East. I don't know what the initials stand for. I buy mine in Savannah, GA. I do need wide sizes like the original poster mentioned.

29. LoveToRead

LoveToRead Rookie

Aug 3, 2007

LL Bean does have a few stores, but mainly in the Northeast, so the catalog or online is your best bet.

I"m not as sure about stores that sell Dansko, but I know the Walking Co. does and they have stores nationwide. Dansko are sold at comfort shoe stores, typically.
    Hope that helps. Maybe someone from the South can offer more specific suggestions.

30. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2007

Great suggestions! I have trouble too with my feet and a touch of arthritis. I'll spend a lot on my shoes, and limit the number. It's worth it to me. Think I'll go shoe shopping right now.

31. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Aug 4, 2007

Check out www.zappos.com for Dansko and LL Bean. They also have Aerosole, Birkenstock, and Crocs (to name a view). I LOVE zappos! They always have free shipping both ways (if you need to return the shoes), and right now they are offering free overnight shipping. If you have to return a pair of shoes it is really simple, and their customer service representatives are wonderful.

32. free2teach

free2teach Rookie

Aug 5, 2007

I also swear by Danskos!!! Love them!! I got mine from Nordstroms but i do believe that they have a website. Good luck! By the way the proper fit is to be able to place one finger tip inbetween your heel and the shoe. Doctors and nurses have been wearing them for years!:)

33. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 5, 2007

Just a quick question,

I am very hesitant to purchase clothing items, especially shoes online, because I don't know that they actually will fit me. That said, if I were to purchase (locally) one pair of Danskos/Aerosoles/Birkenstocks/New Balances, would that fit transfer to other styles of the same brand? I hope I'm making sense.
    Example: If I bought a pair of Dansko shoes of style "A," could I then assume that styles B-Z will fit in the same way? My access to some of these brands is limited here, so I would really like to be able to order some online.

34. free2teach

free2teach Rookie

Aug 5, 2007

I have several pair of Danskos in several styles and I have all the same size. The fit transfers regardless of the style.

35. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 5, 2007

Thanks, freetoteach!

36. TeachingTink84

TeachingTink84 Rookie

Aug 6, 2007

What is the style name of the shoes?

37. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Aug 6, 2007

Hands down, the most comfortable shoe is Crocs. For work, they have the Endeavor (no holes) that look like dress shoes with black pants.

They are also coming out with a very professional line in September called YOU. They bought out an Italian high heel company and are making high heels using a Crocs base. They look like normal high heels, but will actually be comfortable! I can't wait for this! :D

38. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 6, 2007

One of the ladies that attends the same church as I do had the neatest pair of shoes on Sunday. They must have been the "nurse's" model, because they were matte white. They were leather, and the shape of the toe area was kind of like Crocs, but they were full shoes (no straps on back, etc.) The soles were what made these shoes so different. In the toe area, the sole was about 1/2-1" thick, then there was great arch support, but the heel was incredible! In addition to the thick "sole", the heel had what looked like a large white spring! between it and the floor! She swears that they are the most comfortable shoes she has ever had. Unfortunately, there was too much going on Sunday for me to get the brand name. Have any of you heard of this kind of shoe before?

39. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Aug 7, 2007

40. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

I can't wait to see those! My family is living in our Crocs this summer! My kids can wear their's to school, as long as it's not a p.e. day. Their old school had a very strict dress code (I worked there,too) and tennis shoes or dress shoes were all they could wear.
    Very exciting!:2up:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.