Recommendations for comfortable shoes?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by old-new teacher, Jul 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

I am getting ready to start my first teaching job, and I know that I will need comfortable shoes. Do any of you have favorite brands that are super comfy? I have wide, flat feet and struggle with a bit of arthiritis in my knees and hips, so good shoes are a must.

:thanks:

3. Teacher2Be2007

Teacher2Be2007 Companion

Jul 29, 2007

I've bought a pair of Naturalizers and Clark's and was told those were good choices! :) Born shoes are great too, a little too pricey for me right now though...

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2007

I have wide feet, so I sometimes (read: always) have a hard time finding good shoes.

The best dressy pair I have I actually purchased at WalMart. They're Dr. Scholl's and super comfy.

As for tennies, I like Asics. They can get a little pricey, but they do last a very long time.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2007

I typically were khakis because I can ever find any comfortable black shoes. So, I typically were brown oxford type shoes with them. I usually stick to Skechers because they are the most comfortable, IMO. I make it a habit to look in the shoe department at nearly EVERY store I go into. I usually can find something when I'm not looking for it!
    I recently found a pair of heels I can were ALL day (this is a first for me!). I was shopping with my mom, and at KMart, I wandered into the shoe department, and found them on clearance for 7 bucks!!

I LOVE shoes :wub: , but unfortunately most of them are not comfortable enough to wear to work!

6. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

I haven't made myself splurge on any yet, but a friend of mine (who is completing her residency for pharmacy and is on her feet just as much or more than a teacher) swears by Dansko shoes. Some of them are pretty cute, too! I just wouldn't be able to have 40+ pairs of shoes in my closet if I spent that much on each pair!

7. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 29, 2007

I have luck with White Mountain.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2007

$40 is a decent price for shoes! I'd guess my shoes range from $2.50 (Old Navy flip-flops) to $150. Counting flip-flops, I probably have 150 pairs of shoes (coat closet full, bedroom closet full, plus a HUGE pile by the door-LOL). But, maybe 15 are OK for school. They are either too high, not dressy enough, etc...
    I love to shop, though, and often find good sales!

Disregard. I can't read! No where was $40 mentioned, it was 40 pairs. I just checked them, and they ARE super expensive!

9. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2007

I love wearing my ll bean clogs to work (they look like merrills, but are backless!) They are def. a winter shoe...but very comfy and warm!

10. ErikaG

ErikaG Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

I wore Dansko clogs every day during my student teaching. I loved them. They are really worth every penny. I am thinking about getting a pair of Naturalizers for this year. I have heard they are really comfortable.

11. prettyinpink

prettyinpink Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

i wear pumas everday to school...they are the most comfy shoes i have found!

12. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jul 29, 2007

Me too! I bought the black leather Bashy style on sale at Nordstrom. They're comfy, FLAT, lightweight, and I can wear them all day. I actually have a few pairs in different colors. My 8th graders compliment me on them all the time. :)

13. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 29, 2007

I love my Birkenstocks!!! Can't live without them!

14. nsatterfield

nsatterfield Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

From Spring Break until the end of school last year I lived in my Mary Jane Crocs! I love them! They are so cute with capris and super comfortable. I bought them in 3 colors! My school is super casual so I could get away with them, but I know some schools aren't as lenient.

15. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 29, 2007

I have 5 pairs of Danskos. I love them, and they last for years and years. They are worth the money! I have many styles and colors, including sandals, clogs and loafers. Try them!

16. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

Okay... I just went and added about 8 styles of Danskos to my favorites at Zappos. Now to convince DH that I NEED them even though I just got 4 new pairs of shoes on our trip to the states!

17. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 29, 2007

I like Earth shoes a lot. They have a negative heel that makes them so comfy--lots of support and great on the knees too. The Earth shoes I am talking about are not the Earth Spirit shoes at Walmart. I think the same company makes those but they are definitely not the same.

They are pricey but some sellers on eBay are selling them (both new and slightly used) at reasonable prices and they look authentic (I once got Nike Shox that were definite fakes!!)

I also really LOVE my Kenneth Cole Reactions. I found my pair discounted at Marshalls.

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 29, 2007

Thanks for the info about the low-cost earth shoes at Wal Mart. I didn't think they could be the same ones - though they are comfortable.

19. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Jul 29, 2007

I'm not too particular on brand. The biggest advice I can give you is to make sure the shoe has inner padding and has an all rubber sole. The most comfortable shoes are the ones without the hard plastic or wood in the heel.

I have wide, practically flat, feet that wore combat boots for way too long and I've found I can wear practically any heel (up to 4 inches) as long as the shoe has an all rubber sole/heel and there is inner padding.

20. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2007

There have been some threads about these-but I just bought a pair of the Mary Jane style Sketchers. They are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. They look nice, but they're actually sneakers.

21. pokybloom

pokybloom Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

I have some imitation uggz that I got at Sports Authority that I will be wearing to work in the winter. They are like wearing comfy sheep on my feet. As far as casual shoes, I tend to buy skater shoes because they are wide and pillowy inside, but I have to find out if they are up to dress code.

22. lorac

lorac Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

I love my Mary Jane crocs..... but can't wear them at school. Oh well.

I don't really stand all day, so shoes have not been an issue to me. I buy whatever I like (and that's cheap - $20 is usually my limit ;)) and wear it. But, I don't ever wear heels - just flats.

23. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 30, 2007

My school is a little strict on dress code ~ so what I do is hide my crocs under my desk and change into them around 10 AM when my regular shoes are starting to kill me! :)

24. sharon122

sharon122 Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

shoes

I could not teach without my aerosoles!

25. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Jul 30, 2007

Nothing like good 'ole Converse. The kids think it's hilarious I'm all dressed up with a pair of trainers on...

26. prettyinpink

prettyinpink Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

my second and third graders compliment me as well...they love it when they were theres and i wear mine and we are both wearing the school uniform...they say we are twins!!! :lol:

27. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Jul 30, 2007

Wow! Thanks everyone. I now have some shoe searching to do. I have bought so many pairs of shoes that felt comfortable in the store that hurts after about an hour of wearing them. I just have retarded feet. I was born with a club foot, which was corrected, but I just have no heel on that foot, and I have a calcium growth behind the little toe on that foot too that really causes problems. But my biggest problem is that I'm addicted to shoes, and the only way to support that addiction is to buy cheap ones, so I'm hoping that a high quality pair of shoes fitted properly will do the trick! I also need to find out a little about what the staff dress code is going to be. We are just opening up a brand new Catholic school, so I think that some of the policy is going to made up as we go along. I guess I'll put off buying anything until we start our week of inservice on the 22nd.

28. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Jul 30, 2007

Lands End shoes are true to size anad I think all shoes come in wides. i wear my slip on clogs all winter. I have 3 pairs, and New Balance also makes a comfy shoe.

29. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 30, 2007

Skechers are my fav...I couldn't stand all day without them.

30. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Jul 30, 2007

Born are my all-time favorite shoe. They mold perfecty to my feet. They aren't cheap, but they last and most of all they're comfortable. I'm not into heels at all--it's all about comfort for me!:D

31. yoda

yoda Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

I absolutely love Clarks, Born, and Merrill shoes. They are so comfy! They are worth paying the extra bucks for.

32. Elcsmith

Elcsmith Companion

Jul 30, 2007

hush puppies....they're kinda pricey

33. heart4kids

heart4kids Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

Others have already mentioned them but I love Born shoes. They are pricey but I found one pair at a good price at Ross and then ordered the same pair in black from ebay. I also found a pair of their sandals at Philene's basement. So look around and maybe you can find a good deal.

34. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jul 30, 2007

Thanks for the heads up on Dansko shoes! I went out and bought the cutest pair - they're exactly what I've been looking for & I've been wearing them around the house to break them in - they are GREAT!!

35. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2007

Dansk Clogs are the best!!! I have a pair in black and brown and they have seen me through- So comfy. they are a bit pricey but they last a long time and are perfect when you are on your feet all day. I highly recommend them!! :)

36. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2007

ooops=- yep Dansko that's what i meant hehe

37. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 30, 2007

I wear the Earth Spirit and Dr. Scholl's sandals from WalMart. I have high arches and a bone spur. They are very comfy and inexpensive enough that I can get a few pair and not have them very long.

38. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2007

Sears makes I Love Comfort. They have a few basic colors in pumps... not a great selection, but they're comfy and inexpensive.

39. SunShinePumper

SunShinePumper Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

I love my Skechers shoes. I strayed from them last year and started having foot problems. I already bought two new pairs for this year.

40. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Jul 30, 2007

I keep Piglet slippers (you know, the slippers with the head of a cartoon character on the end) under my desk and end up changing into them almost daily. We're pretty laid back at my school. Plus I teach 1st grade and the kids love it. The other teachers just laugh. They're used to it. I'm always dressing up as some character from a book or doing something else wild and zany.

41. arm605

arm605 Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

MBT Shoes

I NEEDED to buy a good pair of shoes and ended up spending 200 on one pair. I had a hip replacement over a year ago (age 22...how fun!) and I was recommended MBT shoes....they work wonders!!! They are a little expensive, and hard to find in stores, but I got mine on ebay for around 200 for the tennis shoes, and loved them so much I bought the sandals for 185. They lessen the pressure on your back, knees, and hips....and get this ladies....they work muscles your don't normally use...and help tone your legs!!!!! ( I have to admit, that was what finally convinced me to get them:) ) The shoes are so nice they even come with an owner's manual and DVD! I HIGHLY recommend them....they are not the prettiest, but you get over it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.