Recommendations for answering these two interview questions

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by workingwithkids, Jun 19, 2018.

1. workingwithkids

workingwithkids Rookie

Jun 19, 2018

I had an interview yesterday and was asked two questions that I struggled to answer.
    Question 1 was multi-part. She asked me what my favorite activity was. I responded that I loved to read. She asked for something else. I responded that I liked to do Einstein Riddles (like Suduko but with pictures). She then says that I teach my students how to do the riddles and then she (principal) finds out and tells me that the riddles are not allowed. What would I do? I responded that I would no longer do it with my students. Her next question was "what would I tell the students when they start begging for them". I answered but didn't feel confident in my answer.

Question 2: I was only allowed to answer with a yes or no (no explanation allowed)
    "Can kids learn from a teacher they do not love/have a connection too?".

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 19, 2018

Is this an elementary interview?

I've noticed that elementary questions and secondary questions tend to be very different. We would nebver ask those types of questions, so I don't know what they are looking for as an answer.

4. workingwithkids

workingwithkids Rookie

Jun 19, 2018

It was for a middle school math position. I have seen a variation of that question before but not to that level.

5. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

Jun 19, 2018

Man. Those are doozies. Sometimes, panels will ask questions to see if a candidate can handle/address a known issue or weakness in an organization. For example, if there are tons of questions trying to figure out if I play well with colleagues, I take that as a potential symptom of unhealthy relationships being present. If bombarded with tech questions, I wonder if they're struggling training people. It's not guaranteed to be a symptom, but I always take note. The first one seems like "are you a puppet?" to me. And it has the extra of wondering if you will throw admin under the bus or put on a supportive face. Mind you, even if it is, you don't know if they want a puppet or not. The second has rules presented for you in answering. They could think they're just being creative and wanting to throw out odd, behavioral questions to you to get a response you couldn't have prepared..............Or, they could be a micromanager struggling with a little munity on their hands. I'd wonder more about why they chose those questions than how you answered.

6. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jun 19, 2018

I would tell the principal that I would tell the begging students whatever the principal had told me as a reason because I am sure she has a good reason for forbidding them.

For question 2, I would just say yes. (I mean, hell, I can learn from a website or a magazine so of course I can learn from a person!)

7. workingwithkids

workingwithkids Rookie

Jun 20, 2018

I wanted to thank everyone for their replies. I have been on three interviews in this district and all three have been drastically different so it has been hard to prepare.
    My first interview was a traditional interview with a panel of three asking questions. School seemed great. My second interview was very disorganized. My appt was at 11. Someone brought me a clipboard and told me to pick a writing prompt and answer it. They came and got me at 11:45 for the interview. Neither the principal or ap were in the interview. The committee didn't introduce themselves until I introduced myself to each one. The principal interrupted the interview to tell one of them something but did not acknowledge me at all. The interview that I had on Monday was timed or had restrictions for each question so it was very nerve-wracking. I have another interview on Monday so we will see how it goes.

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 21, 2018

These sound awful and very stressful. I'm sure there's a method to this madness, but I don't see how the interview panels can really get to know candidates in these restrictions.

I had an interview on Monday and it was the best interview I've been on. I was relaxed, the questions were well thought out and the admin team had a really good vibe. Look for a school where you get a good impression. Hopefully your next interview is THE ONE!

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 21, 2018

I suspect that the principal was waiting for you to show how these riddles complemented and reinforced concepts in your curriculum. With that said, one would normally check with admin before supplementing approved curriculum materials before introducing them to the students. In this case you can probably make a connection that is valid. Instruction time is valuable, something I would be quick to point out, but if lessons have gone exceptionally well, enrichment that is content appropriate should be available. What is content appropriate is within the pervue of admin, influenced by your statement of rationale.

10. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jun 21, 2018

I have to respectfully disagree with this. I don't know any principal who has time to approve all supplementary materials used in the classroom. If every teacher in my school had to have everything we used in the classroom to aid in instruction approved, the principal wouldn't have time for anything else but approving stuff.

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 21, 2018

Do you have a curriculum coordinator? Since the principal has phrased the question in a way that puts his decision into the equation, I would stick by my answer. Do I think this is a real life way of doing things? Not in a million years. These are interview questions. P is looking for sense of following and enriching curriculum, while being cognizant that in the beginning, new teacher may not know all of the answers, but looks to FIND the answers before implementing a policy not supported by the curriculum. You have to get the job to truly find out how that school works. Being quick on your feet to be able to bring this random question/occurence to curriculum, enrichment, respect for both instruction time and chain of command is a good way to weed out or like various candidates, IMHO.