Recommendation vs. Reference

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by glamis369, Jul 18, 2008.

1. glamis369

glamis369 Rookie

Jul 18, 2008

Hi all!
    I will be intern eligible soon and want to get my edjoin application ready because I know some schools that request me to sub will have positions opening. I have 3 great letters of recommendation from teachers that I sub for. The online application asks for 3 references and then asks for 3 letters of reference. Do I use the same people that wrote the letters on the application or different people. I'm usually a pro at this stuff but former career positions didn't require the letters........ Please give me your advice.
    Thanks!!

3. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jul 19, 2008

Can you see if any teachers that you have subbed for might be a reference? Or anyone that you've worked closely with? Until I had more references I used the chair of my credential program as a reference. It's less formal than a letter of recommendation. I just needs to be someone who'll say you're awesome over the phone!

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 19, 2008

Have you subbed in a classroom with other teachers there? I've done a lot of team teaching while subbing (mostly because I take a lot of SpEd assignments), so my references mostly have been teachers with whom I've worked directly. They've seen what I can do in a classroom.

5. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 19, 2008

I always ask my references for letters of recommendation too, just in case. There is nothing wrong with using the same people. Before having a lot of work experience, I used my sped. prof. and advisor as well as CT's.

6. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jul 19, 2008

They can be the same people but don't have to be.

I'm using professors and a grant coordinator and a supervisor for student teaching.

Should they be different people? What works best? Maybe because they are the same I'm not getting good responses from edjoin.

I wish I knew if there was a way to make my edjoin profile look better?

How does mine differ from someone new who is getting responses?

I get way more responses from the district where I apply through their websites or mail in applications than edjoin.

Stephanie

7. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2008

All of mine were the same. I also try to take out letters that are more than a year old, or have the person update the letter. None of my references or letters of recommendation were from direct supervisors. They were all people that I taught with.

8. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 19, 2008

My superintendent said she'd be a reference when my job was RIFed, but she didn't write me a letter. I think it sorta looks impressive that she is a reference. I do have mine updated periodically, but I keep the older ones in a binder. I have some thought that maybe I can use them in a portfolio, just no idea how.

9. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jul 19, 2008

They can, but don't necessarily need to be, the same.

10. glamis369

glamis369 Rookie

Jul 20, 2008

Thank you all for your help. I used the same people, we'll see what happens.

11. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jul 20, 2008

I have 3 recommendations which I did put as references but then I also added more people as references - personal and professional - to the list. I don't think they need to be the same but when you are first starting out there aren't a lot of co-workers or administrators who can actually be our references.

Good Luck!