Recommendation Needed: Af-Am Coming of Age Story

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by Beowulf, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Beowulf

Beowulf New Member

Nov 27, 2006

Greetings! I'm new here. I teach h.s. English, and am looking for a "coming of age" short story or novella, preferably by an African-American author. We just read To Kill A Mockingbird, and the next novel that I planned to teach in connection with TKAM is in short supply. The inventory list does not match what I have on the bookshelf.

My school is primarily African-American, and everything we have read thus far is by white or Latino authors, so I am looking for something more reflective of the culture and experiences of my students.

Much obliged,
    Beowulf

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 27, 2006

Hi, Beowulf, and welcome to AtoZ. I teach 5th so I can't be of too much help. What about Black Like Me or - ooh this is a good one - The Color of Water - that fairly recent book written by a black man raised by his white mother. I don't know if that would be too 'charged' for you kids. Check it out for appropriateness.

4. Beowulf

Beowulf New Member

Nov 27, 2006

Thanks for the reply :D I'll look into those suggestions. Nothing is too charged for my class, as long as the controversial nature isn't gratuitous.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 27, 2006

Oh no, it is a beautiful book. It is by James McBride.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 27, 2006

Right now I'm reading Cry, the Beloved Country the classic about South Africa in the 1940s. Have you thought about something like that?

7. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Nov 27, 2006

Movie suggestion: "Brother Future."

8. Beowulf

Beowulf New Member

Dec 1, 2006

The Color of Water looks really interesting. I think I'll pick it up for myself. There are two books called Black Like Me, one by John Griffin and one by Jocelyn Emana Maxine.

I'm hoping to find something relatively short that I can get quickly. Those books all sound great, but they're too long. A short story would be ideal, or perhaps I can approach it through poetry.

Huge thanks for the help, and if anyone has additional suggestions I'd be glad to hear them.

9. smarkham01

smarkham01 Companion

Dec 2, 2006

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  10. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Dec 3, 2006

You might want to get Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry by Virginia Hamiltom. It talks about an African American Family during the Great Depression and it is a very good coming of age story. Black Boy by Richard Wright is another good one. Terry G.

11. Raising3boys

Raising3boys Companion

Dec 3, 2006

I am not sure of the reading level of your students, however what about Christopher Paul Curtis books?The Watsons Go to Birmingham—1963 or Bud Not Buddy? Both of the books are class favorites and leads to wonderful discussions.

12. Beowulf

Beowulf New Member

Dec 3, 2006

Awesome input! Thanks!

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 3, 2006

Those are at a 5th - 6th grade level, though.

14. kris007

kris007 Rookie

Dec 29, 2006

Anything by Maya Angelou is great! She has some great poems that you could throw into the unit.

15. logan_morgan

logan_morgan Rookie

Dec 30, 2006

If you are interested in a short story, Donald R. Gallo does some excellent compilations of short stories by current authors. I don't know of anything specifically related to your needs, but he has compiled stories around themes, such as history, sports, etc. I teach 6th grade and many of the stories are too mature for my kids, but all are excellent. I found his books in my local county library

16. mrsk

mrsk Rookie

Jan 9, 2007

I loved "The Ways of White Folks" ( collection of short stories) by Langston Hughes. He wrote a lot of short stories in addition to his poetry. Many of his poems have a "blues" rhythm to them which could be fun to tie to some music. He is one of my favorites. You can also touch on the Harlem Renaissance with it.

17. Ms_Bindergarten

Ms_Bindergarten New Member

Jan 9, 2007

Life Changing Memoir...

This book flew into my mind when I read your post. The book is Coming of Age in Mississippi by Anne Moody. I read this book in college however, it was a fast, easy read and very appropriate for high school. Anne real name Essie Mae (you find out why the name change in the book) writes of her struggles, triumphs and heartbreak in the book. After I read this book my perception of history, my life up till 21 years old AND my future had changed FOREVER.

Hope this helps...

18. mrsk

mrsk Rookie

Jan 9, 2007

That was a great book. I agree.