Recommendation letters

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by John Lee, Apr 5, 2016.

1. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Apr 5, 2016

Need a couple to apply to a Masters program. The easy way (for me) is to ask my former P's for letters, done deal. I'm sure they'd write one for me. But I'm just curious about who else could potentially write letters for a teacher that would be considered acceptable and worthy. Could your grade-level teaching partner? Could my BTSA mentor? Could even a particular (i.e. esteemed) parent?

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 5, 2016

I have asked for letters from colleagues before. I'm not sure that they would be sufficient without also having a letter from a supervisor, but they show that you work well with others and will be a valuable member of a team. My friend's sister received a recommendation letter from a parent of a former student. Apparently that went a long way in securing her most recent job.

4. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Apr 5, 2016

The letter from a parent is a wonderful idea! I will have to remember that one. Maybe less helpful for grad school than a teaching/ school-based job, but great thinking.

I agree that colleagues are a good reference source in addition to a manager/ supervisor. It's probably a good idea to also include a supervisor, not all colleagues/ peers. Mentors are another good one, I've gone that route before as well.