Recommendation letters??

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by cby1224, Mar 24, 2014.

1. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Mar 24, 2014

I am hoping to get a job teaching H.S. Chemistry this next school year and I am working on updating applications and my resume. I am a hopeful career changer and have not been in a classroom setting in 10 years (which was during student teaching). A friend and I were having a discussion about this potential change and I asked her opinion about reference letters. She says yes, they need to be there. I feel like since these letters are over 10 years old and one of the CT has retired (several years ago), they do not need to be included. What does everyone else think? Thanks for the input!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 24, 2014

You'll most likely need letters of rec at some point during the hiring process. Get updated ones, though.

4. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Mar 25, 2014

Updated ones, as in educational work?? Because I do not work in the education field at this point. Or do I include letters of recommendation from professionals outside of education?

5. Ellybean

Ellybean Rookie

Mar 25, 2014

Well yes you need to have references, because absolutely nobody is going to hire you without references. And yes, it is preferred that those references come from people within the field of education, since that is what you will be doing. Do you have any experience in education?? Or is this something completely new to you? Because ya I mean your old boss from XYZ corporation could give you a nice recommendation, but those are different skills, and not as relevant as if an educator gave you a recommendation. Ask some of the professors in your teacher training program for recommendations. Or the principal who worked at the schools where you did student teaching. Or do some volunteering or tutoring, and after awhile ask for a recommendation.

6. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Mar 25, 2014

Kind of going with the original post, what if it has been a while since you spoke with the principal or assistant principal at my school? I want to contact my old AP, (the P has moved away and isn't quite as familiar with my work because she was hardly ever around). It hasn't been too long..about a year now, but my concern is that maybe they have forgotten about me. I tried getting a letter before I left, but it was towards the end of the year and it was time for the good ole state exams among other end of year things. Should I still try to get a letter?

7. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Mar 25, 2014

Let me clarify my original post. I am not asking about references. I do posses a teaching license for my state with endorsements in 7-12 Biology and 7-12 Chemistry. I have been out of school for 10 years. Most professors, that I would feel comfortable asking for a letter of recommendation in my teaching program have long since retired. The biology endorsement is not as desirable as the Chemistry. The areas in which I will apply Chemistry is a sought after endorsement so I do believe I can get a job with no prior teaching experience. I do not sub, because I have a professional career which I can't just leave for a part time job. Also it is very hard to tutor/volunteer when I have a very irregular work schedule, a 7 month old, 4 year old and husband. My question is really, are those original letters from 10 years ago still valid especially since they are all I have?