recommendation letter

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by American, Jul 1, 2008.

1. American

American Rookie

Jul 1, 2008

Hi guys,
    I recently attended a preliminary teacher interview at LAUSD.
    I am a teacher from out of state. I didn't quit my current job yet.
    So, after such interview they asked me to get the experience letter
    from my current employer and the hiring processing is still in initial stage. But my employer don't give me recommendation letter unless I give them a resignation letter as they can not hold the job for me. I am so sure they do so since they did the same to my ex-colleague. So the situation is I have to choose between a confirmed job that I currently do and a job that on gamble.What would you suggest ? I am so tensed.Please share your thoughts.

3. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2008

That's rough. Maybe you can try going down to HR and asking for one. I'm not for lying, but if they don't want to give it to you maybe you can say you need it for a college class, or grant that you want to apply for, or something. If that doesn't work I would look for another official form that would have your years experience. I know my district gives us a form with how much we will be getting paid and on which days for the entire year. It has personal information, such as sick days, and years experience. While I wouldn't know the new school to know all of that info, I would get over it if it meant I could move on in the hiring process.

4. American

American Rookie

Jul 1, 2008

Thank you for a quick response.
    But it was a 3-page form that they gave me and the current employer has to fill where it's clearly printed on the form that:
    " This person applied for a teaching
    job in our school district and so please fill this form and fax to us:

1. is he a good teacher ? ........so on "

this really sucks ...

5. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jul 1, 2008

Can you ask other teachers or maybe the assistant principal? Or just tell your principal that you want a letter of recommendation to keep your portfolio updated. I have letters from my department chair and the councelor.

6. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2008

Maybe you can tell the principal you were thinking of moving to CA for xxx reasons. Tell him you would love to stay if you didn't find a job. If he refuses I would explain that to the LA district. I def. wouldn't give up a sure thing for a maybe. That can leave you with no job at all.

7. American

American Rookie

Jul 2, 2008

Thanks agai for the responses.
    Hi exclamation , it was a form to be filled in.
    My principal is out of station and will be back on 07/06.
    I love los angeles weather. So I want to take the risk
    and give resignation if it is a must. If I don't get a job here
    I will try to go back. I explained the situation during the interview but LAUSD said it was a procedure and they couldn't change it.I guess it is the same procedure in all LA school districts for the experienced teachers.