Recommendation for counseling

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by CDOR79, Feb 10, 2014.

1. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Feb 10, 2014

I have a 3rd grade student that is in need of counseling. I have to write up a recommendation as to why he needs it...they need the teacher's input. Any ideas on what I should include and how I should word things?

Also, I'm aware of his living situation but am not sure if I should include the details OR just put something in general and leave it to them to look further into it.

Thanks....

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Feb 10, 2014

In my opinion, I would stick with behavior observations that you can back up with interactions in the classroom. So, maybe not saying that the child is poor, but instead that they have had difficulty maintaining friendships or dealing with anger appropriately, for example.

4. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Feb 10, 2014

Yep - behavioral observations. Not details outside of the classroom.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 10, 2014

This is extremely vague. Why is the student going for counseling? What type of input are you being asked to provide? What are your concerns? What type of family concerns do you have? Does the counseling place have a way of knowing the family concerns?

6. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Feb 10, 2014

If the parent has given you any knowledge that needs shared then you should clearly state "Parent stated......." Stick to facts. Don't express your feelings about the child's behavior.