Recommend Black Bulletin Board Paper?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by BusyBeeMrsP, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Jul 10, 2008

Oh-- I am using paper. Free from the school. I would need way too much yardage to make it affordable! The big bulletin board is 12x5...I would need 8 yards for it alone!

2. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 10, 2008

Just make sure you use fadeless paper unless you plan on changing it from time to time. I had black paper for a board I kept up all year and by May it looked a sickly charcoal rather than black.

3. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Jul 10, 2008

It's supposed to be fadeless. We've had good luck in the past (with other colors, at least)...so I think I'll be okay in that department.

Until I saw this thread, I had been tentatively planning to have the turquoise on the big board and perhaps yellow (or lavendar) on the small boards. I read the chapter in Debbie Diller's book, though, and agree it will be less "noisy" with the one color. (Looks like a GREAT book, too, and I'm thinking about buying it!)
    I'm also going to use a black-based border (it's black with bright-colored pencils). I thought that would go well since my meeting area carpet is black with white swirls.
    I just can't believe how agonizing this is!

4. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 10, 2008

My problem with the background of all my bulletin boards is that since I'm doing a Hollywood theme in my room, I have four different types of border ... one is sparkly red like a red carpet, metallic gold like an Oscar, white popcorn and a film strip that is red/orange/yellow with a black border ... so I was thinking of sticking with white butcher paper because it would go with each of the boards, but I'm worried that that might be too boring. I like how clean the black butcher paper looks but it definitely won't match my popcorn border.

5. MiddleGradesLA

MiddleGradesLA Rookie

Jul 11, 2008

I did my school shopping today, and I went ahead and decided on using a black bb. Here's what mine will look like:

I have 1 loooooong bb, so I am splitting it up into 3 "mini" boards.

Left 1/4 of the board: "What are we learning?" board.
    Burlap cloth, sparkly red border, black letters. I will post the 7th grade LA standards on this board.

Center 1/2 of the board: "On the Prowl For Our All-Time Best!" board. Black fabric, zebra print border, animal print letters (mixture of giraffe, leopard, zebra, and snake prints). I will hang excellent student work here. "All-Time Best" is the catchphrase for our school.

Right 1/4 of the board: "For Your Information" board. Burlap cloth, sparkly red border, black letters. I will post important stuff like school schedule, lunch menues, important events, etc. on this board.

I just laid everything out on the floor, and it looks really good. I'm so proud of myself!

6. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 11, 2008

I LOVE the idea of a glittery red border with a black background. I think instead of buying the irredescennt kind they sell, I would pour glue and actual red glitter all over some border I already have. It would pop more.

I think I might do Hollywood next year. Soooo much fun.

I can re-use my wingback chairs as movie-watching chairs...

7. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Jul 11, 2008

That does sound good! Make sure you get a pic so you can share! :)

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2008

I use plastic tablecloths to cover my bulletin boards. Last year I used black on both (I only have 2) and used bold bright borders. Once I get everything else on the boards, there isn't much background to be seen. I love it because everything pops!

9. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 11, 2008

Hmm... Do you use the plastic ones, or the more cloth like ones? This is a whole lot cheaper than fabric. Do you have pics?

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2008

I use the cheap ($1) ones from the dollar store; I prefer black or navy blue, but they come in a rainbow of colours. They are quick and easy to put up, simple to work with and don't fade. When you first put them up, you can see the creases from the folds, but these smooth out fairly quickly (especially if it's humid). I don't have any current pictures--we've only been out of school for 2 weeks and I'm not planning to go back in for another 6 weeks. I"ll check some old folders, though, I may have one from last year or the year before.

11. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 11, 2008

I did one board in black. My character traits board. It did it on black because each trait has it's own color... red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple. The colors really pop against that black.

I wish I had a pic of it.