Recommend Black Bulletin Board Paper?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by BusyBeeMrsP, Jul 9, 2008.

1. BusyBeeMrsP

BusyBeeMrsP Rookie

Jul 9, 2008

I have noticed in many of the classroom pictures I have seen, there is black paper on the bulletin boards. Is this something that is recommended because it makes whatever is on it stand out, or is it too dark for kinders? What do you think? Anyone out there use black bulletin board paper?

TIA!:)

3. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 9, 2008

I was watching a video of the two women that wrote The Daily 5 a few weeks ago and they said you should use the same color background and border on all of your bulletin boards because it reduces wall noise. Plus, the work you put on the board will stand out more this way. I like a colorful room, so the thought of the same butcher paper and border on my walls is not exactly enticing.

4. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 9, 2008

I love using black butcher paper! I use it for my word wall so the words really stand out.

5. pxydst07

pxydst07 Comrade

Jul 9, 2008

I couldn't see using black on all the boards. It seems so dreary. I used a nice bright blue for my word wall and I loved it. It really brightened up the room and made it seem so welcoming. I think the brighter color drew the kids to look at the board!

6. JustT

JustT Comrade

Jul 9, 2008

I use black on my word wall and dull dark colors on other bulletin boards. It makes the words pop out more and the visuals easy to focus on. Also, black doesn't clash with other colors. White is annoying to me unless it's the whiteboard.

7. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 9, 2008

I agree, I think all black would be too much.

I like cool colors in the classroom, so my others walls are purple, blue, and green.

8. Eneli

Eneli Rookie

Jul 10, 2008

I have all my bulletin boards covered with black fabric and I make it colorful with trims, children's work and posters. I find that if I use any other color it makes the room to busy.

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 10, 2008

I second the black fabric. I used it on my 'world' wall in my last room-I had five black-rimmed clocks on it set to time zones from around the world, so the white faces really popped. The border was black with world flags, so it just looked like floating flags around the rim. Then I had a really colorful map and labels for the clocks. But that was my only black board. I won't have one next year, as I don't have room.

You can see it on the 14th page of my portfolio:
    http://www.mrs.uppman.com/7.html

10. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 10, 2008

I too use black fabric on one of my bulletin boards. I love it. The border around it looks really sharp! However, I wouldn't use it on all of my boards.

I was reading the sample chapters of Debbie Dillars new book Places & Spaces (I think that's what it's called) and she was showing before and after pictures of classrooms. She really recommends doing the same color background and border on all your boards and taking down any posters off the wall. I really didn't like the after pictures I saw. Yes, things were more organized (some of the rooms they showed.....I'd go crazy with the disorganization :woot: but that's a completely different post!) but my room is organized even with the posters and resources on the wall. Perhaps she just lost me when she said use the same color and I was like BOOOOO! and didn't have an open mind anymore. :lol: Who knows?

You can see the chapter here: http://www.stenhouse.com/assets/pdfs/Diller Spaces Places pp 37-64.pdf

11. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 10, 2008

I use light colors with a black border. I have light green and blue this year. It worked nicely.

I saw the sisters video after I had done this but had to pat myself on the back afterwards!

12. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 10, 2008

Thanks for posting this link. I just read through the chapter and found some of what the author had to say was interesting. It definitely has made me rethink my classroom arrangement, which is good since I'm going in tomorrow to work.

13. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 10, 2008

My mentor teacher had a black fabric for her calendar wall. I liked it! I could see it looking nice for a word wall but I wouldn't make my whole room black. I don't know what to do with the walls this year because I have to move things around because they are too close to the fire alarms. :(

14. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 10, 2008

I have used black butcher paper the past two years. I originally decided to use black because I thought it was a little more grown up for my fifth graders. I also like using black for my astronomy board. It makes it look more realistic.
    This year, I need a change. I want my room to be a little more cheerful so I will use royal blue.
    I second using one color paper for all boards. My principal suggested it my first year. She said it's easier for the kids to focus on each board. I do however use different borders on all my boards.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2008

Our bulletin boards at school are covered with a nice blue woven coating- kind of like a wallpaper. This eliminates the ordeal of BB paper- which I was never good at putting up anyway!! It's clean, doesn't show where staples have been removed, and bulletin boards are so much easier to change out now- Ican get one up in no time!!

16. thomps6

thomps6 Companion

Jul 10, 2008

You know, this post does bring up a question. How many people use several colors on the bulletin boards and how many use the one color? Those who used the one color, did you see a difference in your students' behavior and attention? It is really making me think. I also use fabric for my bulletin boards, but they are different colors.

17. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jul 10, 2008

I use fabric on all of my bulletin boards. Trimmed with a nice border and I am set for all school year. If the material/fabric gets dirty, throw it in the wash. I love using either a solid color or a lightly patterned piece. What I mean by patterned is something that remains either in the cool or warm color arena that looks like it has been sponge-painted. Little stars or large picture patterns bother me as I think they are too busy. I have 5 bulletin boards in my room and two in the hallway that are the same size (4'x5'). The hallway ones are decorated with the exact color of fabric and same trim. Each of the bulletin board in the room are a different color with a different border as they each serve a different purpose. I like LOTS of color in my room and it shows!

18. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 10, 2008

I only have one bulletin board inside me room. My world wall is actually on a wall(concrete blocks), so I put border around it. I use the bright colored sentence strips to make the words stick out. I might just try the block paper/fabric this year. Does anyone have any pictures they'd like to post with black paper/fabric on bb? I'm interested in seeing what it looks like.

19. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jul 10, 2008

I use fabric too! Most of my boards are covered by a dark navy fabric. I do have one with a light pink fabric and a small one with a purple w/ a small pattern. I love being able to re-use and throw in the wash when needed!

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2008

I don't think you could reliably know whether it was bulletin board paper or class mix or a whole host of other variables which were the 'cause' of student behavior. While I agree that some classrooms can be visually distracting for some kids and that teachers should consider that, I'm not sure that black (or any particular color) BB paper is going to make that huge a difference.

21. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 10, 2008

I've heard a lot about this sticking to one color on the BB's, but I just can't do it. Sorry. My boards this year will look like this:

Parent info board: Red cloth with tiny white stars, will have a cool star lantern light in the upper corner (gives it a warm feeling). White border.

Toady Traits: Green 'watermelon' fabric background (looks like the outside of a watermelon). Dark green border.

Chalkboard will have the word wall and the writer's workshop area.

Social Studies: Not sure of the background yet, but will have Magic Treehouse stuff.

Science: Black fabric background with yellow border, Magic Schoolbus stuff. (so I guess I WILL have a black background).

Morning Meeting board: Bamboo paper I ordered from Stumps, orange border, tiki-man decoration with Tribes respects on it.

Job Board: Fence paper I ordered from Stumps, brown border, jobs on wanted signs.

Reading Board: Not sure yet-something Hogwarts-y.

I know I'm missing a board, and it's nagging at me. Grrrr.

AH! Math Museum: Blue background, not sure of the border yet. Black frames hanging on it with math information in them.

22. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jul 10, 2008

I use on color-a deep red that has that crackled look (the crackled lines are black-but you have to be up close to see it). I do use different colored border, though, depending on what the BB is about.

Fabric is the way to go so that I don't have to be changing it and it doesn't get faded as much as Butcher paper does.

Black Butcher paper might've been used because it doesn't fade as easily/quickly as the other colors do.:confused:

23. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2008

Jem, you have a LOT of boards! I have 4 within my room (one is the calendar/job/birthday board, one is the "through the year" board, one is the homework display board and one displays kid work). I have a parent board in my cubby room and a hall board for displays of artwork.

I use plain fabric for the backing of all boards. I have found burlap works well. I do not use the same color fabric - but that is an idea that deserves merit. Perhaps when it's time to replace my burlap, I'll go for that idea.
    Kim

24. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 10, 2008

I'm very lucky-I have a room with lots of wall and board space. I had that in Michigan for fifth grade as well. That's good, though, because I love designing bb's.

25. lou reed

lou reed Companion

Jul 10, 2008

I'm doing navy blue, black and brown for my bulletin boards, with a few rainbow elements on the word wall and alphabet. It's a little somber, but it will hopefully go well with my space theme. :)

26. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 10, 2008

This is from 2 years ago (I actually had my BF put it up because he was taller. He now wishes he never did because that's when I discovered just how good he is at it. Now he is in charge of doing bulletin boards anytime I get him to come in) :hugs:
    http://www.msjensenclass.com/ClassPictures/Pictures/IM001948.jpg

This was last years: http://www.msjensenclass.com/ClassPictures/Pictures/IM002702.JPG

But I can't wait to take a picture (can't get back into school until August 18) of this years. I really LOVE the border I put around it. It totally rocks!!! :up:

27. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 10, 2008

Thanks for the pictures. I'm definitely going to look for black fabric. On the first pic, is that a bb or did you just put the fabric on the wall?

28. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 10, 2008

I have NO bulletin boards in my room. One wall is all windows and two heating/cooling units (my 5 student computers sit underneath the windows) the front is two white boards and a smart board, third wall is all cubbies,(25) back of room is sink/underneath cabinet, bathroom door, walk-in closet door, double doors to another closet and an alcove with the original room cubbies. Do I miss BB's? Not really. Each student puts up things on their cubbie door and I have wire strung across the room for additional work. Because I have no wall space it is difficult to work in centers. I have decided to make the old cubbies into my library. The custodians are going to put shelving into the cubbies so my book baskets will go there. I asked them to cut off the end cabinet to the sink to create more space for the library but they weren't too thrilled with that idea. Luckily storage is not a problem in my room.

29. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 10, 2008

Katenar,

I also forgot to mention that I love the border on the cabinets. Another idea I'll be using this year. I just wish mine were white and not wood brown. :(

30. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jul 10, 2008

My bulletin boards are covered with a tan burlap; the trim is yellow so it looks sunny and bright. All 4 boards are done the same way.

I like the texture of the burlap and I love that it doesn't have to be redone at all...no holes showing like with paper.

The only trick to the burlap is getting it really smooth by stretching it as it goes up. I spritz it with water as I'm working and the shrinkage as it dries helps to get rid of any lines or wrinkles.

31. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 10, 2008

I like the way you have your bookcases. Are they attached to something so they don't fall over? In my school book cases that tall must be anchored to a wall to prevent them falling over. Because I have no wall space I am limited to bookcases of about 3 feet.

32. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 10, 2008

No the black bulletin board was just put on the wall with a border to make it look like one. The two below it were actually BB.

33. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 10, 2008

Ohhhhhh....with the wood brown I would use my Safari themed border. Either the giraffe one or tiger stripes.

The other option is to paint them. Would they care if you did?

34. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 10, 2008

I'm pretty lucky. At both schools I've worked at, I've always had my books cases set-up like that and no one ever have had an issue. I get a little concerned here in CA because of earthquakes though. :unsure:

But I like how it makes it a little bit of private space. And this year, I think I'm going to paint the back of the bookcases with magnetic chalkboard paint so I can do some different things with them.

35. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 10, 2008

What type of tape did you use to make it stick to the wall? Is your wall concrete? I'm sitting here making a sketch of my room now. :lol:

36. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 10, 2008

Actually I used a hot glue gun to make it stick. Wherever I would usually put staples, I did a dab of glue. That's why it really helped to have my BF there.

It held up all year long and when I took it down it easily peeled off the concrete wall and I managed to get it off the fabric without ruining it too! :D

37. hatima

hatima Devotee

Jul 10, 2008

I think it depends on what the board is for and the student. I wouldn't use dark, unless it was a bold color. I ignore dark muted colors, so I'd forget to actually use the board. However, I have seen teachers use cloth rather than the paper, the board looks so much crisper and seems to maintain better. I really like the idea of using cloth and see more potential and reuse out of that.

38. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2008

When I got my job there were three bulletin boards next to each other and one had black sparkly bulletin board paper up with sparkly boarders. I decided to keep it. I loved it. I only took it down because I decided to cover them all with one big piece of fabric instead of individual boards.

39. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Jul 10, 2008

I'm glad to see this thread! I am in the midst of deciding what colors to use on my boards. I have 1 big board to the side, and then 2 small boards on each side of my blackboard.
    Right now, the big one is mint green and the side ones are royal blue. I'm thinking of changing them all to the same color: a light turquoise. What do you all think?
    I can't believe I agonize over these simple decisions! Arrgh!!

40. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2008

I love turquoise! Don't feel bad, I went to the fabric store three times trying to figure out what color blue I wanted for my boards!

41. BusyBeeMrsP

BusyBeeMrsP Rookie

Jul 10, 2008

I love turquoise as well! It seems as if the simple decisions are the hardest. :lol: I still am undecided if I am going to use the same color on all my boards, or mix it up. I see that mostly everyone who has responded uses fabric, so this is something that I am going to look in to. How much will it cost to cover your three boards?